• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Game info: Bulls vs UCONN series

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

The bulls open up the conference season by hosting the UCONN Huskies for a three game series. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

Ok, rough Game 1 and Bulls lose 6-4

Bulls Fight Back Late, But Fall to UConn in Conference Opener

TAMPA, MARCH 23, 2018 – The USF baseball team scored three runs in the eighth to trim a 6-1 lead, but ultimately dropped The American opener to UConn Friday night at home, 6-4.

It was a quick first inning for both sides, as the highly anticipated pitching matchup of lefty All-Americans Shane McClanahan (Cape Coral, Fla.) and Tim Cate went as scripted with five combined strikeouts.

In the second, the Huskies (11-7) got to McClanahan with a solo homer, the first earned run allowed by the ace all year. UConn would add one more before loading the bags with one out. Then Anthony Prato hit a grand slam to make it 6-0.

The Bulls (16-7) hit doubles with a runner on first in the second, third and fourth, and had a pair of men at second and third in all three frames. With the bases loaded in the fourth, Tyler Dietrich (Naples, Fla.) hit a sac fly to score USF's first run.

Both bullpens were solid over the next three innings until the bottom of the eighth, when junior David Villar (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) hit his 14th double of the year to lead off the inning. Two batters later, JD Dutka (Suwanee, Ga.) doubled, scoring Villar. In the next at-bat, junior Kyle Phillips (Orlando) smashed a homer to right, making it 6-4.

UConn turned to its closer after the home run and immediately got out of the inning, then a 6-4-3 double play ended the game in the ninth. 

Key Stats 

3 – Villar and Dutka each finished 3-for-4 with a combined three runs scored.  
2 – Phillips went 2-for-4 and his two-run shot in the eighth was his second USF homer.
5 – The Bulls led the nation with 66 doubles heading into the weekend and hit five more tonight. Dutka and Villar each had two, while Phillips had the other.  

Notables

• Sophomore lefty Noah Yager (Davie, Fla.) came in to relieve McClanahan in the fifth and was lights out. He pitched a scoreless 5.0 innings allowing just four hits with two walks and five strikeouts.  

Up Next
The Bulls and Huskies will meet for game two Saturday at 6:30 p.m. It'll be redshirt senior Peter Strzelecki (Lake Worth, Fla.) on the mound for USF and sophomore lefty Mason Feole going for the Huskies.

Time to move on to Game 2:

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

anyone having trouble with the video tonight? link just goes to usfbaseball webpage

1 hour ago, cophbulls said:

anyone having trouble with the video tonight? link just goes to usfbaseball webpage

They were a little late getting it up but its on their facebook page now 

We just lost a fly ball in the lights.....At our home field. its has not been a good night defensively. 

Offense erupts in the sixth to take the lead. Defense has been a struggle on both sides. Lots of misplays in the OF.