• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Looking at our future schedules

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

26 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I feel had Houston stayed undefeated they could have crashed the playoffs 2 years ago. 

And I feel that the committee would have found a way to leave them out.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

7 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Here's hoping that Wisconsin stays good and GT gets good by then

Hear's hoping that Wisconsin doesn't buy out of that game.

It would not surprise me if they do.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

And I feel that the committee would have found a way to leave them out.

I agree wholeheartedly.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

3 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

The strategy moving forward, and appears to be, to schedule the following annually:

• Home game against FCS opponent
  • Home or away game against G5 opponent
  • Home game against P5 opponent
  • Away game against P5 opponent

I think that's been the goal for a while

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,141
  • Days Won:  39

5 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

The strategy moving forward, and appears to be, to schedule the following annually:

• Home game against FCS opponent
  • Home or away game against G5 opponent
  • Home game against P5 opponent
  • Away game against P5 opponent

Can we do 3 P5 even if it is a lowly Vandy?

3 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Can we do 3 P5 even if it is a lowly Vandy?

Three P5 teams each year, is a pipe dream.

The only way that could happen is if we decided to do away pay games and that might very well hurt our chances to get home and home series with regular P5 teams.

The exception to that might be another game @UF

Our strategy is to try and get 2-1 games with big name teams, like we have done with Texas.

It is just getting much more difficult to schedule home and home games with P5 teams.
If we can continue to have two P5 games every year, I think Harlan would be very content.

@American_FB is tough & deserves more respect. Improve our leagues non conference schedule? Tell that to the many teams unwilling to play us!

The fact is that FSU has made known that it won't schedule USF, at least until Jimbo is gone, which might happen this week. If he leaves we will try once again to discuss scheduling with them.

Miami "might be open" to renewing our series. That has been under discussion.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

We need to drop the ****** 1aa games for sure. 

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

We need to drop the ****ample,** 1aa games for sure. 

Easy to say.

I think it is more complicated than you imagine.

For example, we've had teams buyout their return game in Tampa, after we played them away.

So, we need to replace them only with a home game or just end up playing a six game home schedule.

USF NEEDS a 7 game home schedule.

We can't afford to pay for a home game against a G5 team, because those teams are already doing that for $1,00,000+ paydays from P5 teams.

Also, for example we gave Texas a 2-1. We need to balance that out with a home game against a 1-AA team which we pay let's say $400,000. The thing is that we get $1,000,000+ for that extra away game @Texas. But, at least we get one big name team at RayJay in the process. So, that is the trade off.

That is why Harlan is trying to do more 2-1 series, but only with the top teams.

If we could get more home and home series with P5 teams, we would not have any 1-AA games. That is the real problem.

If we start taking one and done pay games with top teams we will need to offset that with a home game against a 1-AA. If top teams think we will do that, then they won't ever consider a 2-1 series. What's more, some of the lesser P5 teams who now do home and home series with us will try to get us to do 2-1 games with them, because they will think that we are desperate to play a P5 team.

Believe me, I'm not in favor of playing 1-AA teams, but I do understand why that often becomes necessary.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

Easy to say.

I think it is more complicated than you imagine.

For example, we've had teams buyout their return game in Tampa, after we played them away.

So, we need to replace them only with a home game or just end up playing a six game home schedule.

USF NEEDS a 7 game home schedule.

We can't afford to pay for a home game against a G5 team, because those teams are already doing that for $1,00,000+ paydays from P5 teams.

Also, for example we gave Texas a 2-1. We need to balance that out with a home game against a 1-AA team which we pay let's say $400,000. The thing is that we get $1,000,000+ for that extra away game @Texas. But, at least we get one big name team at RayJay in the process. So, that is the trade off.

That is why Harlan is trying to do more 2-1 series, but only with the top teams.

If we could get more home and home series with P5 teams, we would not have any 1-AA games. That is the real problem.

If we start taking one and done pay games with top teams we will need to offset that with a home game against a 1-AA. If top teams think we will do that, then they won't ever consider a 2-1 series. What's more, some of the lesser P5 teams who now do home and home series with us will try to get us to do 2-1 games with them, because they will think that we are desperate to play a P5 team.

Believe me, I'm not in favor of playing 1-AA teams, but I do understand why that often becomes necessary.

I would rather have a home and home with FIU or FAU over the 1aa game. We can still have 7 games as long as we have multiple contracts. We can always schedule 1 sun belt or Lower G5 game instead of 1aa. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I would rather have a home and home with FIU or FAU over the 1aa game. We can still have 7 games as long as we have multiple contracts. We can always schedule 1 sun belt or Lower G5 game instead of 1aa. 

I understand your point and would be in favor of that with FAU at least.

FIU screwed us around in football scheduling more than once. So I'm not sure about ever scheduling them again. I won't bother to go into all the details.

Both FAU and FIU get between $1 million - $2 million for one and done pay games. Sometimes they do 2-1 with just regular P5 teams and get a big payout for that extra game. P5 schools can afford to do that. So, it's more difficult for us to get even home and home series with them. They are in even more financial difficulty than USF and will go where the money is.

The P5 schools have much more attractive conference schedules, so there fans aren't all that upset with playing a couple of lower G5 or 1AA teams.

I'm sure that Harlan is trying his best with scheduling and is clearly frustrated by many teams not willing to play us, as evidence by his recent tweet. He realizes that we have an attendance problem and some of that has to do with our OOC schedule, but he has no control over our conference schedule or what day we play.

Unless USF can get FSU or Miami at home, or some other big name team our attendance will not improve significanly.

USF is not alone in the AAC when it comes to attendance.

In our conference, UCF will draw the most at home.

Since we played at UCF this year and that game was a sellout it helped to make their attendance look better in the end, but it was still pretty bad for an undefeated team with an OCS.  

Below is the  ANNOUNCED final attendance at home games for AAC teams this season. If schools had to report ACTUAL attendance to the NCAA, they would, undoubtedly, be significantly lower.

From the American BBS board:

Final 2017 AAC Regular Season Attendance Rankings 

For Conf Games Only: (All teams played 4 home conf games)

Announced Attendance: 
1) UCF: 37,706
2) Memphis: 33,753
3) Navy: 33,747
4) ECU: 33,578
5) usf: 31,636
6) Houston: 30,054
7) Temple: 26,469
8) Cinci: 26,009
9) UCONN: 19,128
10) Tulsa: 18,742
11) SMU: 17,705