• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

8 minutes ago, Bulls1181 said:

Double team him? There goes that.

He's produced when double teamed, even against big time P5 programs.....

The one thing that does seem to work against him is tiring him out by running him sideline to sideline.  He's a high motor player that will pursue sideline to sideline so that does work to wear him down (Memphis did this very effectively).  The question is will Gilbert use the game plan he ran against say Illinois, where we attacked the edges consistently?  Running directly ad Ed Oliver would be a  terrible idea, double team or not..... 

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

44 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

This will be a decent test to see how well the coaches can adjust play calling, or if it continues to be “lack of execution.” 

24 minutes ago, Triple B said:

How will you tell?

20 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

By whether or not Ed Oliver shuts down a head on run game...

Still not making any sense but I guess that's just me ....

13 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Still not making any sense but I guess that's just me ....

It makes plenty of sense.  If Oliver whips the middle of our line and makes a stop for a loss or short gain, disrupts the play enough that another defender stops it for a loss or short gain, or forces a holding call that's a lack of execution.  If it keeps happening over and over again and the coaches refuse to move away from it and it become a detriment to the offense as a whole that's play calling.  

Good play callers don't let bad match ups spoil their game plan they adjust.  If the players are getting whipped repeatedly (which is technically bad execution) they find other ways to attack the defense.  Good play callers put their players in a position to succeed not a position to fail over and over again.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Memphis had no problems with Oliver...

Edited by NewEnglandBull

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

1.3ypc says other wise.  

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I didn't see much of it, but 23 rushes for 30 yards isn't good on paper.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

8 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

It makes plenty of sense.  If Oliver whips the middle of our line and makes a stop for a loss or short gain, disrupts the play enough that another defender stops it for a loss or short gain, or forces a holding call that's a lack of execution.  If it keeps happening over and over again and the coaches refuse to move away from it and it become a detriment to the offense as a whole that's play calling.  

Good play callers don't let bad match ups spoil their game plan they adjust.  If the players are getting whipped repeatedly (which is technically bad execution) they find other ways to attack the defense.  Good play callers put their players in a position to succeed not a position to fail over and over again.  

So you're agreeing with his original inference that we haven't adjusted at all this year and that play calling is why we've supposedly looked so bad in winning 7 games ... ?

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So you're agreeing with his original inference that we haven't adjusted at all this year and that play calling is why we've supposedly looked so bad in winning 7 games ... ?

Nope, I'm talking about this game and Ed Oliver, PERIOD.  

Football is a game of match ups and Oliver is the kind of match up that can be a nightmare and disrupt our entire offense if our coaches let it happen.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I wasn’t inferencing that the play calling hasn’t been adjusted at all this year. It doesn’t take a genius to see that it appears that we’ve been winning with a big help from athletic ability. If Ed Oliver is healthy, then this has the chance of being one of the toughest defensive tests that we’ve faced this season. There leaves no room for saying it is because of player execution if Ed Oliver does Ed Oliver things. 

I’ll be there first to admit that I’ve griped way too much this season for us to be 7-0, but I’m not going to act like this team doesn’t have a lot more potential than it’s showing. It’s not the beginning of the season any more and sooner or later it would be nice to see a statement game. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322

7 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Nope, I'm talking about this game and Ed Oliver, PERIOD.  

Football is a game of match ups and Oliver is the kind of match up that can be a nightmare and disrupt our offense if our coaches let it happen.  

Which interestingly enough is the title of this thread.