• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USAToday's Paul Myerberg predicting team records

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

12 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

Relying on freshman at DT to make any sort of impact is usually a recipe for disaster. The bottom line is, if Senat gets injured we're probably in a bad place. Ditto for Sanchez. Same for any of our interior offensive linemen. 

I disagree on the OL. We have real depth there. That is illustrated by the way guys have been moved around and are capable at playing multiple positions. The only two spots on the field that we are thin are LB (super thin) and DT (somewhat thin). Bruce Hector is a beast in the middle as well. Kevin Bronson is solid at DT. Marlon Gonzalez should also contribute at DT, after playing in 7 games as a true freshman last season and learning the ropes. The only DT we graduated was Daniel Awoleke, so it isn't like we had a ton of attrition at that position. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

I disagree on the OL. We have real depth there. That is illustrated by the way guys have been moved around and are capable at playing multiple positions. The only two spots on the field that we are thin are LB (super thin) and DT (somewhat thin). Bruce Hector is a beast in the middle as well. Kevin Bronson is solid at DT. Marlon Gonzalez should also contribute at DT, after playing in 7 games as a true freshman last season and learning the ropes. The only DT we graduated was Daniel Awoleke, so it isn't like we had a ton of attrition at that position. 

And that's without mentioned Deadrin Senat. There are bodies there to rotate; LB is the larger concern, but with only 2 out there they shouldn't be terribly exposed except in the run game. 

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Everyone keeps talking about how short we are at LB, but assuming they are only using two, we only lost one LB from last year, and have added a couple and have a few that are likely ready to move into the rotation (Andre Polk, etc.) I'm more worried about DT/inside of the D-line.

2 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Everyone keeps talking about how short we are at LB, but assuming they are only using two, we only lost one LB from last year, and have added a couple and have a few that are likely ready to move into the rotation (Andre Polk, etc.) I'm more worried about DT/inside of the D-line.

It's more experience than anything. I expect Polk to be a beast though. It's possible guys like Danny Thomas step up in a big way. I also believe having coaches like Brian Jean-Mary and of course Strong will help these guys succeed

Everything we've heard about Polk is that he is a guy who should step in right away and make an impact. If that turns out to not be the case, then I would be worried.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

35 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

There was a noticeable drop-off last year when Nigel or Auggie had to come off the field. That is the fear for me as far as depth is concerned. I hope that one of Polk, Sawtelle, and Thomas can step up and be the solid #2 LB. At least at DT we have Senat and Hector who are proven and then we have some talent behind them as well. 

11 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

There was a noticeable drop-off last year when Nigel or Auggie had to come off the field. That is the fear for me as far as depth is concerned. I hope that one of Polk, Sawtelle, and Thomas can step up and be the solid #2 LB. At least at DT we have Senat and Hector who are proven and then we have some talent behind them as well. 

Sawtelle did pretty well last year, all things considered. Don't forget, the DC didn't have the best game plan, and a lot of that made the LBs look out of position. I'm happy with Auggie and Nico, it's rotating after them that gets a little inexperienced. I bet a guy like Keirston Johnson gets a lot of reps. 

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802

We lost Harris and Cherry. Probably our best LB's, physically. Obviously it's a heady position and that's why Sanchez is our "best" LB, but it's really thin/unproven beyond him.

I read the OL rotations differently. When I see a guy like Mayes jumping in and out of the first team, I'm not confident considering he's a recent convert to the position.

I completely agree that DT is fine with Senat and Hector. The problem is there's next to nothing behind them. If they are less lucky with health this year, we're in some trouble. We also lost our best DE, who wasn't exactly a world beater.

That said, I'm not actually worried about any unit other than LB. I'm just naming reasons we could drop some games.

Edited by The Great 8

Not worried about losing Cherry - he didn't even make the two deep this year.

3 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

Totally agree about the dropoff from Harris to Sawtelle. That seems like a far bigger concern than depth.