• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Armwood's Anderson Eyes Options As MLB Draft Looms

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400
  • Days Won:  0

Armwood's Anderson Eyes Options As MLB Draft Looms

Published:  Jun 2, 2005

TAMPA - If Armwood High's R.J. Anderson is selected in the first five rounds of Tuesday's Major League Baseball draft, he said he will sign a professional contract instead of playing football and baseball at the University of South Florida.

``I'd rather go straight to professional baseball,'' Anderson said. ``It's something I've always wanted to do. If I don't go [before the sixth round], it's great to have a scholarship to fall back on. It's a win-win situation.''

A center fielder who hit .364 as a senior, Anderson's stock increased last week with an impressive showing at the FACA senior all-star showcase in Sebring, where he reportedly ran a 6.1 60-yard dash.

In football, Anderson was a two- time all-state cornerback. He was rated as one of The Tampa Tribune's top 50 state recruits. He was one of five defensive backs signed by USF.< <

how good are his chances to go in the top 5 rounds?

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Back in January, he said he'd play football unless he went in the first three rounds.

There are 30 teams, he's was listed in January as the #86 high school player (don't forget about college signees), but according to the article his stock has risen since.  I don't subscribe to the baseball draft sites, so I'm not sure exactly where he's projecting now, but if he's going to play baseball if he goes in the first 5 rounds, his chances of signing a baseball contract is probably pretty good.

I don't want to wish that he won't get drafted because I think needs to follow that dream if he wants to.

Armwood defensive back R.J. Anderson, who committed to USF last summer, is a coveted baseball prospect, tabbed by Baseball America as the No. 86 high school prospect in the country his senior season. Armwood coach Sean Callahan said Anderson is considering playing pro baseball if he's drafted in the top three rounds, but coach Jim Leavitt's experience as a two-sport star (he was the 1976 Big 8 batting champion at Missouri) could help him choose the Bulls.

http://www.stpetersburgtimes.com/2005/01/12/Sports/Frosh_playing_big_rol.shtml

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  827

Running a 6.1 in the 60 will definetly get him drafted in the top 5 rounds! Looks like he hit the ball pretty well this season. With that speed all he needs to do is put the ball in play.

Sounds like he is really wanting to play pro baseball.

This sucks for the Bulls. Would have been a nice addition to the secondary and a big help for the Basebulls!

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

RJ ran a 6.1 60?  **** that kid is fast.  Only guy to have beaten OJ Murdock in a track meet in the past two years.  If you got down to it he's probably the fastest football player, with Murdock, in FL.

I'll never forget watching him run down Lake Gipson's star running back in the 03' State Championship.   It was the first half, and their RB was off to the races, a fast little scatback named Travis Buford, Buford was behind the entire Armwood defense, and if he scores LG goes up and maybe the complexion of the game changes.  RJ comes from across the field, and runs down Buford like he was standing still tackling him from behind after around a 25 yard gain.  Armwood's defense stiffened, and the rest is history, but that Buford kid had a motor, I doubt anyone caught him from behind all year when he had a dead sprint to the end-zone.  Not only did RJ catch him, he had to run from across the field.  

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

what a waste of time recruiting guys that are baseball first

again this is the coaches fault not the kids fault

usf coaches don't appear to be tuned in

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

**** I have been worried about this ever since he signed with us.  Hope he stays a Bull, but I can understand why he would go pro.  

Positive news is that we signed several very good DB's in this recruiting class.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  827

what a waste of time recruiting guys that are baseball first

again this is the coaches fault not the kids fault

usf coaches don't appear to be tuned in

Dude you say some of the most idiotic things! What is the fault of the coaches?

If recognizing a kid has talent and having him committ to USF is a problem. Then I love this type of problem.  The only problem that happened here is that this kid developed in baseball over the past year!

Get a grip! Why do you call yourself a USF fan! You complain about everything!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If we didn't get him and he doesn't get drafted, smazza would be saying the same thing about our coaches.

This stuff happens to schools all the time.  Corey Jenkins at South Carolina, Rosco Crosby at Clemson, Chris Weinke at Florida State, to name a few.