• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CUSA baseball budgets for 03-04

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Gary here you go with present records and RPI rankings:

1. Notre Dame 272,290- 36-22 (59)

2.UConn 235,400, 34-22 (107)

3.Rutgers 204,345, 32-21 (72)

4.Louisville 183,585, 32-24 (71)

5.Cincy 173,853, 25-30 (170)

6.Seton Hall 142,177  17-35 (199)

7.USF 140,615, 33-31 (61)

8.Pitt 137,953, 33-22 (87)

9. Georgetown 123,027, 25-31 (190)

10. WEst Virginia 101,245, 25-30 (185)

11. Villanova 84,158, 28-21 (127)

12. St Johns  no data, 39-16 (55)

Notre Dame and St.Johns are going to NCAA tourney. ND as the BE champ,StJ as an atlarge

Interesting!  Despit having one of the higher RPI's in this group with a relatively low budget, we still won almost as many games as everyone with higher budgets and lower RPI's. yet people are bitch9ing?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

If you are referring to me, it is not "********".  I am simply repeating the same concerns that were made years ago.  The program is/has been stagnant - if not on the decline.  That is all.  As I have also said, until the administration makes it important, baseball isn't.  It's like our ugly uncle in the basement.  Just stop the whining about facilities and everything else, and I am sure the "********" will stop.  USF Baseball has never reached the heights that it should have being located in a baseball hotbed.  It's not successful going to the NCAA regionals 4 times in 10 years.  Woolard and a clean sweep will do wonders.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

Well actually, I wasn't referring to anyone specifically.  I just think it's amusing that some think facilities don't matter?  If so, why did we build rayjay?  Tampa stadium was still standing AND funtional.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Well actually, I wasn't referring to anyone specifically.  I just think it's amusing that some think facilities don't matter?  If so, why did we build rayjay?  Tampa stadium was still standing AND funtional.

Also, it's tough to realize that if you compared Red McEwen Field to every single FL 1-A program they all have better baseball facilities then us.  Even N. Florida, so that says a lot when baseball players are comparing us to N. Florida!

People always equate baseball to simply the playing field, and some that don't believe facilities is that big of deal don't see how an improved playing field has much to do with it.  Well most college baseball programs their stadium also contains inside batting cages, their trophy cases and Hall of Fames, concessions that you can actually generate money in, and lockerrooms where players can get prepared, ice down or whirlpool after games, some workout facilities, meeting rooms, and video (for baseball only), press boxes that make the media actually WANT to attend a game, and seating that allows them to charge more than the cost to park on campus.  Not to mention more advertising opportunities, and something the team can be truly proud of.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Honestly, if you read all the threads, most everyone agrees that facilities matter - in fact, I think everyone agrees.  Fortunately, we also know that our facilities will be upgraded in the future.  In fact it sounds like the baseball locker rooms are improved...I haven't seen them myself.  

The dispute is whether or not we continue on this course.  This course of apparent non-accountability.  this course of mediocrity.  As a poster alluded to the Duke basketball facilities, facilities are important, but so are a number of other things.  Leadership, recruiting, game management, player improvement, scheduling, etc.

Again, baseball can continue to flounder, just don't make excuses.  Just as you say facilities are important, they aren't all there is to it.  I am not convinced there is not a sense of resignation among those intimate with the program - that "we just can't compete."  How else could it go on for so long?  When making the C-USA Tournament is a big deal, certainly all focus and energy has been misdirected for some time.

Facilities are so bad that we rely on nepotism to field a team - wow!  Please.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I think the programs that truly win on a consistent basis with the absence of facilities are a real anomoly.  Like Duke, however it's not really true about Duke because they've got some anomolies of their own.  Sure Cameron is a dump, but they also hired a good coach and have kept the legend in-place with oodles of money.  Also, their new practice facilities and training areas are top notch.

I think we're an anomoly.  The fact we're consistently top 5 in C-USA despite one of the worst budgets, and the worst baseball facilities is rather amazing.  Red McEwen barily compares favorably to UTampa's digs.  ODD, UT is DII, so I suppose that says it all when players look at our campus and see as good or better at N. Florida U, and UT then we've got troubles.  Much like football it's not being good at 1 or 2 positions that allows you to win consistently at this level.  In a conference like CUSA was for baseball you really need 4 top notch pitchers, and greater batting and fielding from top to bottom.  Without it then you're lucky to finish 6-7th.  

That's the difference with better facilities, it helps to get that extra 2-3 players that were needed to really complete a team that ordinarily we would have wiffed on to FIU, SunCoast U, or UT.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

a sad state of affairs

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

I think we're an anomoly.  The fact we're consistently top 5 in C-USA despite one of the worst budgets, and the worst baseball facilities is rather amazing.

Over the past four years, USF has finished in 7th place, sixth place, ninth place and tied for sixth place.  Not only is that not "consistently top 5," it's not EVER top 5.  That's for an entire class of USF students.  Over that time span, USF has a record of 58-59 in conference (under .500).  In fact, in our entire history in Conference USA, we've only finished in the top 5 half of the time (five of the ten years).  Is that consistent?  

Over the past 8 seasons, USF has a winning percentage of 0.510.  In our Conference USA history we've only ever made the championship game once (in 10 seasons) and we got our asses handed to us in that one.  This despite being in one of the most talent-rich areas in the country.  

We're an anomaly, alright...

USFFan

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,832
  • Days Won:  22

Im not saying we couldnt have done better.Yes we are in a talent rich area BUT so are UF,FSU,UM,UCF,Stetson,FAU,FIU, ALL of this schools have better facilities than USF and have better fan support. Go ask the baseball players in our team if they wouldnt have rather played in a nice stadium with more fan support.

Now with the new athlertic facility we have improved a bit BUT we are still behind ALL of those schools i mentioned.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,832
  • Days Won:  22

By the way if you look at our standings you are right

LAST FIVE Years in CUSA: 3-7-6-9-6

FIRST FIVE years in CUSA: 1-3-8-5-5

So last Five years: 1 Top Five finish

First Five Years: FOUR top five finishes

Look around the state and look at when those schools got their new facilities and when was the last time USF did ANYTHING to improve baseball facilities i believe youll see a very CLEAR pattern.

Im NOT a big fan of Cardieri BUT i also can see that he is at a BIG dissadvantage with what he can offer to recruits and others in the state can offer.