• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Smith new OC and reason for delay

Guest bullin the house

Guest bullin the house

Well most know by now Smith will be the OC but the reason for the delay was b/c the head coach did not want to pay him the money until June 1 something about the that is when all the coaches salaries are adjusted and if he would have been named OC before then he would have to of been paid that.  Someone more informed in this department could explain more.  With Hobbie leaving he did not have to pay the oc salary.  Alsow with Franks he did not want the postition.  He does not perfer this offense.  so just to let you know if he was offered it he would have turned it down

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

whatever

it was a bush hire

we can't compete at this level with such inexperienced coaches

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

I can certainly understand why Franks would turn down the position.  But why not just make Smith the interum OC, and search for an adequate replacement this coming off-season.  I could live with that due to the late resignation of Hobbie, but this sounds like CJL is making smith the permanent OC and he is clearly not qualifed to be a division 1A Offensive Coordinator in a BCS conference.  Why did we move to the Big East if we are going to continue to promote High school calibur coaching within the system?  

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

He is only as permanent as his success will allow.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

He is only as permanent as his success will allow.

See Hobbie, Mike.

Suncoaster... if CJL wouldn't fire Hobbie after these past two seaons... what makes you think he'll fire Smith if we go 6-5 and 4-7 again??

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Suncoaster... if CJL wouldn't fire Hobbie after these past two seaons... what makes you think he'll fire Smith if we go 6-5 and 4-7 again??

Maybe CJL didn't fire Hobbie because he realized the big problem wasn't the play selection but the play execution .........

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Maybe CJL didn't fire Hobbie because he realized the big problem wasn't the play selection but the play execution .........

This is most likely the case... we don't know what conversations they had on the sidelines or in their offices.

My problem was that Hobbie would seemingly call plays that anyone in the stands knew the offense couldn't execute.  You can put the offense in a position like that -- knowing they can't execute a play then blaming them for not executing the play.

That was why I was one of the more vocal people calling for Hobbie's head.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

My problem was that Hobbie would seemingly call plays that anyone in the stands knew the offense couldn't execute.  You can put the offense in a position like that -- knowing they can't execute a play then blaming them for not executing the play.

Hall would have been one giant bruise if we had adopted this philosophy last year ..............  8)

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I can certainly understand why Franks would turn down the position.  But why not just make Smith the interum OC, and search for an adequate replacement this coming off-season.  I could live with that due to the late resignation of Hobbie, but this sounds like CJL is making smith the permanent OC and he is clearly not qualifed to be a division 1A Offensive Coordinator in a BCS conference.  Why did we move to the Big East if we are going to continue to promote High school calibur coaching within the system?  

SEE: Recruiting Coordinator.

Franks is our RC, that also pays well and is a very important position for our future.  If Franks assumed the OC he would have had to tailor back some of his RC duties or drop them all together.  Considering how good of a recruiting coordinator Franks has been suffice it to say he's a better RC then an OC, especially in this type of offense.

AND, as I've been telling everyone for weeks, and months, and years.  This is Leavitt's offense and the style he wants to run.  Franks isn't comfortable running it, and therefore would prefer to coach RB's and handle our recruiting.  At least everyone can say our recruiting is in good hands.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

whatever

it was a bush hire

we can't compete at this level with such inexperienced coaches

Can we fillibuster this hire?