• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

O'Leary: Team should avoid practicing in afternoon

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Are they kidding?

Noontime kickoffs in Florida?

Oh yeah....that should make UCF fans sitting on the bench want to buy tickets to UCF vs Rice so they can sweat their ass off and while trying not to dehydrate.

I know some of my friends with young families are not going to want to take their 3 and 4 year olds to roast in the midday Florida sun.

That's why I got my Bulls tickets as high as possible under the overhang in case we start having those horrid afternoon games ........

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  45

That's Schmadtke's idea of humor, given our periennial debates over 1:00, 4:00, 6:00 or even 7:00 game starts.

Our coaches have historically wanted 1:00 starts, but few others do.  Orsini is on record lately that our kickoffs will be 6:00 except for Homecoming (4:00) or TV games.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

Do you know what the difference to you athletic gain is if you run in cold weather vs run in hot?  Care to take a guess?

Next to nothing.  At all.  There is no benefit to practicing in the heat.

Sure, the heat simulates SOME real games.  But practices are to facilitate learning, especially at this time of year.  It is much easier to concentrate when you're not worried about cramps etc.

Incidently, the reason USF players cramped at BAMA, and so on, is NOT because they failed to practice in the heat.  That's the most idiotic concept ever.  The reason is they did not hydrate appropriately the night before, nor did they get enough potassium.  They probably didnt even hydrate enough in-game.  It takes some intelligent preparation, but even a quasi-athlete can play in the heat for 3-4 hours without cramping no problem if they're smart about it.  If I can do it, I'm sure the actual collegiate football teams can too.  Sure, they're going against tougher guys than I did/do by far, but in theory they should be equal level to them :).

Practicing in the morning is a good idea, because it will help the players get the plays right via improved concentration.  Just another reason that while he might not be a pillar of morality, oleary is a good coach.

And he can eat donuts if he wants, after all HE doesnt have to contend with our defense next year anyway 8).

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

I saw some interesting information in something my kid was reading the other day.  It said that the Jags practice field is built at the same longitude and oritentation as Alltel so that the elements eperienced during practice replicate the elements experienced in the game. (sunlight specifically mentioned).  It has to be beneficial to practice in like environments.  Not saying this is good or bad for UCF or USF (who practices in afternoon, but plays home games at night), but it does make sense to me beyond the "learning" issue, that at least some practices towards the end of the year take place in your home field environment.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  93

Do you know what the difference to you athletic gain is if you run in cold weather vs run in hot?  Care to take a guess?

Next to nothing.  At all.  There is no benefit to practicing in the heat.

Sure, the heat simulates SOME real games.  But practices are to facilitate learning, especially at this time of year.  It is much easier to concentrate when you're not worried about cramps etc.

Incidently, the reason USF players cramped at BAMA, and so on, is NOT because they failed to practice in the heat.  That's the most idiotic concept ever.  The reason is they did not hydrate appropriately the night before, nor did they get enough potassium.  They probably didnt even hydrate enough in-game.  It takes some intelligent preparation, but even a quasi-athlete can play in the heat for 3-4 hours without cramping no problem if they're smart about it.  If I can do it, I'm sure the actual collegiate football teams can too.  Sure, they're going against tougher guys than I did/do by far, but in theory they should be equal level to them :).

Practicing in the morning is a good idea, because it will help the players get the plays right via improved concentration.  Just another reason that while he might not be a pillar of morality, oleary is a good coach.

And he can eat donuts if he wants, after all HE doesnt have to contend with our defense next year anyway 8).

I don't know the science behind it, but wouldn't practicing in a certain environment be advantage over someone who has never experienced it? I mean if I train for the iditarod in Florida someone who does the same training in Alaska would be better prepared.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

By the looks of last season's record, I thought the UCF team avoided practicing altogether.  ;-)

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  93

By the looks of last season's record, I thought the UCF team avoided practicing altogether.  ;-)

I laughed so I have to give u credit.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I don't know the science behind it, but wouldn't practicing in a certain environment be advantage over someone who has never experienced it? I mean if I train for the iditarod in Florida someone who does the same training in Alaska would be better prepared.

I agree.  It seems intuitive to me that a person would be more acclimated to playing in the same conditions, and that adverse conditions to training would be disadvantageous.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

AhhhDuh should be posting more insightful thoughts any moment now...