• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

O'Leary: Team should avoid practicing in afternoon

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

small_logo.gif

Morning right time for UCF

O'Leary decides team should avoid practicing in afternoon

By Alan Schmadtke

Sentinel Staff Writer

May 6, 2005

A UCF football team looking to change its game-day fortunes will alter dramatically when it practices in the days before kickoff.

The Golden Knights are going to be morning people.

UCF Coach George O'Leary told players to schedule afternoon classes for the fall semester and to prepare for mandatory breakfasts and 9 a.m. practices.

"I'm not sure why, but we practice better, more consistent, when we go in the mornings," O'Leary said. "I've never done this before, so we'll see. But I think it'll work out."

Less than a handful of Division I-A programs like rising with the sun. According to a survey of conference sports information directors, UCF will join Kentucky, Hawaii, San Jose State and San Diego State as schools with pre-lunch practices. Kentucky Coach Rich Brooks made the change following the Wildcats' recently completed spring drills, school spokesman Tony Neely said.

"I'm thrilled," said Kristy Belden, UCF's football academic adviser. "Consistency is the key. We'll have morning practices throughout the year, which means we can keep the same schedule for study halls."

She said more flexibility for classes should be available to players in the fall than before. Afternoon practices mean an 8 a.m.-to-1 p.m. class window. Morning practices give a window between 1 and 10 p.m.

Elliot Vittes, director of a liberal-studies program that many football players favor, said UCF may not have more classes available in the afternoons, but there are more available spaces in classes that start after 10 a.m. Many students like to go home or work in the afternoons, he said.

O'Leary was less than enthusiastic about morning workouts during his first spring practice at UCF last year, but class schedules already were set, and he couldn't change practice times. The Knights had a stellar semester academically.

Last fall, UCF practiced from 4 to 6 p.m. -- and did well in school again as a group. Coaches learned this spring that players liked getting practice over with by noon, and O'Leary became a convert.

"There are days you get done, and you have to go to the training room or meet with a coach," linebacker Chris Welsh said. "Sometimes guys don't make it to the cafeteria before it closes. Then you go eat the greasy [fast-food] stuff no one wants you to eat."

The time change has nothing to do with the Knights trying to snap a 15-game losing streak, the longest current one in I-A. UCF was 0-11 in 2004, the country's only winless team.

"It's going to make Sunday a busy day for the coaches," O'Leary said. "There's going to be pressure to get in and get a plan together. But there will be more time to be rested between Thursday [the final practice of the week] and Saturday [game day]."

One thing for 2005 won't change: UCF's games all will kick off after noon.

Alan Schmadtke can be reached at aschmadtke@orlandosentinel.com.

Story Link

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KKHot.jpg

Try and tell me these two things aren't related...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

seems like they will be falling like flies (see Alabama vs USF) during their hot afternoon games if they are accustomed to practicing in the early mornings

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

It's also a good way to avoid those afternoon showers that always hit Florida ............................ but wait??  :o

krispy-kreme.jpg

Try and tell me these two things aren't related...

I only get a red x but see that Krispy Kreme is in the address ...................  ;D

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

Well, 8am is prefect time for fresh donuts and coffee.

Hopefully GOL lost a little weight in the offseason.  I can see where the stress of not doing so well can make someone put on weight.

Go Knights!

I just hope ESPN captitalizes on it and schedules some 9 a.m. TV games for you and pre-empts our penchant for 11 a.m. kickoffs....   ;)

I just hope ESPN captitalizes on it and schedules some 9 a.m. TV games for you and pre-empts our penchant for 11 a.m. kickoffs....   ;)

.... and maybe they can turn that indoor practice facility into a bowling alley or a Q-Zar facility.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Are they kidding?

Noontime kickoffs in Florida?

Oh yeah....that should make UCF fans sitting on the bench want to buy tickets to UCF vs Rice so they can sweat their ass off and while trying not to dehydrate.

I know some of my friends with young families are not going to want to take their 3 and 4 year olds to roast in the midday Florida sun.

It says:

One thing for 2005 won't change: UCF's games all will kick off after noon.