• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Still Teetering Between QB Prospects

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

PJ was bad but there were also plenty of dropped passes which were catchable.

I think we need big improvement in both depts as well secondary help.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

one thing i learned long ago, just because something is printed in a newspaper does NOT mean is 100% accurate.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I said it a long time ago, and will repeat it again: Denson will start this season...

Guest Bullathering

Why is so disturbing that Julmiste may be hanging onto the starting job?  He will only be a junior.  I am willing to bet that there are many QB's that went on to star who were not very good as fr and soph.  How many other Bulls in other positions blossomed as they matured?  How about bball and Leather?  After his soph did anyone see him being this good? Or how about McDonald?

I have faith in our coaches in their ability to develop talent.  Banks problem was that he was so slow and we didn't have the horses in front to give him enough time and he lost his confidence.  He skills didn't fit what was needed at the position at that time.  Julmiste, who wasn't supposed to see the field except in cleanup duty, was thrust into the line up.  2005 was supposed to be his year to compete for the starting job.  Let him compete.  I'm better at my job now than I was last year or the year before.  I make better decisions based on my experience.  I see the same for him.

Now with that said, I am hoping that Denson is the answer.  Wasn't he one of the top QB's out of high school a couple of years ago?  If he has that kind of skill I only hope that he has built on it and can be one of the top Qb's in the Big East right away.  But I will support Julmiste if he wins the job as that will say a lot about how he is improving.

Yeah, well there are also 4 year duds (Brandon Brigman, Javon Camon  ring a bell) who JUST DON"T HAVE IT.  

PJ redshirted his first year, had an opportunity to learn for half a year his second year actually saw the field for the whole second half of his second year, and started the whole season his 3rd year with minimal improvement.  He had his chance, he didn't cut it.  He likely has a better handle on the offense which may give him an edge, but give Denson, Grothe or Hill PJ's experience and they would all have flourished last year with a great offensive line and a GREAT back like Hall.  He had all the tools in place last year and couldn't get it done.

I'm willing to bet that Courtney can outrun the entire PSU defense.  It's a great D, but not a lot of speed there.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  505

I'm not saying PJ will improve, I'm just saying he was a sophmore and many a player have made strides between being a soph and being a jr.  I remember being very worried that Swift was going to be running the point and he raised the level of his game.

What I really hope is that Denson plays like a player with his accolades and leads us to a bowl.  But I won't be disappointed if PJ does improve enough to be the man.  He has the physical tools to be great, just needs to learn the mental part of the game which comes with maturity.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

First of all, the reason no WR "stepped foward" is because Julmiste was HORRIBLE at QB last year, and could not pass the ball to save his life.  Secondly, considering the dismal performance at QB I still thought Peyton played well considering he was a true freshman.  How can CJL say this?  Garris also "did a lot of good things" as Leavitt would say.

Are you saying Grothe is upset about that comment??? if so you are wrong he will get a shot at QB in the fall and if he gets it than so be it if not, it wont be because of ability  so if CJL thinks he redshirts than so be it ! But my bias thought is he wont !    

I don't know why there are so many willing to give PJ another shot, I could understand 2 years ago when he came in and took over for Banks, he didnt have much experience at that time.  We didnt really have a great running game so that put more pressure on the QB position, he was a red-shirt freshman at that time and was still learning the system.  But what is the excuse for last season?  All of those excuses are null and void, he should have flourished but didnt, I don't see this off season being any differant if he couldnt get it together last season.

I also would be curious to know what Hill thinks about CJL's statements that he will most likely playing at WR this year, isnt the whole reason he turned down Miami's offer because he believed he would get a chance to play QB here.  To me if I were in Hill's position I would interpret that to mean if I don't come in and win the spot right away they will red shirt me and give me a shot in spring practice, like that they are talking about doing with Grothe.  I don't see him being happy about coach making that statement.

there is no way they can redshirt both looks like Hill is going to WR by that statement but as was said take the media with a grain of salt. Grothe not worried at all just wants his shot!

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

It's wonderful to read about a possible QB controversy. :)

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

I remember 2 years ago, PJ was supposed to be our "secret weapon".      

Pray for our team Gentlemen...       ::)

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

PJ was a secret weapon?  i must have missed that

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

PJ was a secret weapon?  i must have missed that

It was a secret.   ;)