• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib article - USF basketball (M), once on the rise, has bottomed out

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17
  • Days Won:  0

15 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

As for writing anything about UCF, they were being promoted as the #3 school in the state and then posted an epic third winless season. That article was begging to be written but, a simple crap article less then 3 paragraphs was done. If USF had gone winless, ever paper n this state would have written an article for their front page.

My point is that we are seriously lacking in media support. Neither the Times or the Tribune do USF justice. :furious3:

Who cares?

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

You may not but, this community had better start caring.

USF needs the support of it's local media. Why would they care to support USF? USF is a major employer of this community and has a huge impact on the local and surrounding economies. USF impacts those economies not only with their employees whom live locally and buy homes and raise families here but, by their students whom live in the area while they attend the university, rent living space, buy clothing, furnishings, big ticket items, food and attend restaurants and other evens while they're here.

USF needs the media to be on it's side and be proactive as this could greatly enhance how the University is viewed by outside entities. Further more, those same media entities could in return gain exclusives and breaking stories from the University when they occur. Quid-Pro-Quo.

Bug then again, Who cares!

Edited by Azmodi

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

How could anyone possibly write a positive article about USF MBB ?  Have you seen them play ?  It is embarrassing.  You want to talk about the coach....I say look to SMU and see what a real coach can do in a short period of time.  I have spent too many years following USF MBB and IMHO this is some of the worst I have ever seen.  I think losing Holston was a shot to the heart because he seemed to be the heart.  After I posted we have never been consistently good someone tried to tell me how good we were not to long ago and pointed out 3 NIT appearances with Lee Rose and then another and three NCAA appearances.  What about the 20 year lapse ?  USF used to be BB only and I spent over 20 years going to the games including post season conference tournaments but I won't drive to Orlando now to see them play because there is no hope of them wining more then one game.  I am sorry but FB can take years to rebuild but BB should not.  Next year ?  I hope for the best but short of being in the top 2 or 3 teams in the conference I doubt we get much better press coverage.  I mean writing about MBB is like writing about and old ACL injury....who really wants to read it.  There will remain a small core of loyal fans no matter what but it is still sad to see the state of USF MBB.  In case you think I hate or don't support them.....you would be dead wrong...always have and always will.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17

52 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

You may not but, this community had better start caring.

USF needs the support of it's local media. Why would they care to support USF? USF is a major employer of this community and has a huge impact on the local and surrounding economies. USF impacts those economies not only with their employees whom live locally and buy homes and raise families here but, by their students whom live in the area while they attend the university, rent living space, buy clothing, furnishings, big ticket items, food and attend restaurants and other evens while they're here.

USF needs the media to be on it's side and be proactive as this could greatly enhance how the University is viewed by outside entities. Further more, those same media entities could in return gain exclusives and breaking stories from the University when they occur. Quid-Pro-Quo.

Bug then again, Who cares!

USF bball is/has been horrible. What the hell do you expect?

4 minutes ago, dabull80 said:

How could anyone possibly write a positive article about USF MBB ?  Have you seen them play ?  It is embarrassing.  You want to talk about the coach....I say look to SMU and see what a real coach can do in a short period of time.  I have spent too many years following USF MBB and IMHO this is some of the worst I have ever seen.  I think losing Holston was a shot to the heart because he seemed to be the heart.  After I posted we have never been consistently good someone tried to tell me how good we were not to long ago and pointed out 3 NIT appearances with Lee Rose and then another and three NCAA appearances.  What about the 20 year lapse ?  USF used to be BB only and I spent over 20 years going to the games including post season conference tournaments but I won't drive to Orlando now to see them play because there is no hope of them wining more then one game.  I am sorry but FB can take years to rebuild but BB should not.  Next year ?  I hope for the best but short of being in the top 2 or 3 teams in the conference I doubt we get much better press coverage.  I mean writing about MBB is like writing about and old ACL injury....who really wants to read it.  There will remain a small core of loyal fans no matter what but it is still sad to see the state of USF MBB.  In case you think I hate or don't support them.....you would be dead wrong...always have and always will.

My point is, that even when UCF has been at their worst, their media partners have written about positive things and avoided writing and bringing attention to the negatives. It's not just coverage but, how and what you cover that matters.

I can see that this train of thought is lost here so I'll stop. I will just say, there's a difference between supporting your team and backing your team. I wish that USF could acquire some BACKERS. Backers not only support, they bring attention to and enhance the positives while diverting attention away from the negatives. That's what I've witnessed happening for UCF, FSU, Florida and Miami.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

3 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

My point is, that even when UCF has been at their worst, their media partners have written about positive things and avoided writing and bringing attention to the negatives. It's not just coverage but, how and what you cover that matters.

I can see that this train of thought is lost here so I'll stop. I will just say, there's a difference between supporting your team and backing your team. I wish that USF could acquire some BACKERS. Backers not only support, they bring attention to and enhance the positives while diverting attention away from the negatives. That's what I've witnessed happening for UCF, FSU, Florida and Miami.

Local media treats UCF like any other non-"Big 3", non-local university in its' coverage. Not sure why you'd want it any different ... and I assume you live in Orlando to get the feel for how their media treated them but I would love to see how they avoided writing and bringing attention to the negatives in that train wreck of a season.

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Local media treats UCF like any other non-"Big 3", non-local university in its' coverage. Not sure why you'd want it any different ... and I assume you live in Orlando to get the feel for how their media treated them but I would love to see how they avoided writing and bringing attention to the negatives in that train wreck of a season.

Actually I live in Pinellas County. Bring up Klystron9. Go to the news and from their sports/college page. You'll see some of what I mean. It's how they write and yes they do numerous stories on UCF while barely mentioning USF unless USF loses. FYI, it's Bright House Networks promoting them.

Edited by Azmodi

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

AZMODI.......Sorry my man but almost all sports pages/writers dump on the home team when they lose unless it has just come to be expected.  The Sentinel wrote all kinds of negative stories about the Knights and their fall from grace last year.  I mean the Thanksgiving weekend story was about the girl dancing by herself in the stadium.  While it made me laugh I am sure none of the UCF fans thought it was funny(well maybe some cause it was really funny)

4 minutes ago, dabull80 said:

AZMODI.......Sorry my man but almost all sports pages/writers dump on the home team when they lose unless it has just come to be expected.  The Sentinel wrote all kinds of negative stories about the Knights and their fall from grace last year.  I mean the Thanksgiving weekend story was about the girl dancing by herself in the stadium.  While it made me laugh I am sure none of the UCF fans thought it was funny(well maybe some cause it was really funny)

I'll give you that one as it was funny and she was a good dancer. :roflmao:

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Plus, she was more entertaining than their entire football team (except for that freak #80)