• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How other teams on our schedule fared - Week #4

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Two goods thing about this week: USF didn't lose,  UCF did.

Tennessee State 30 - Florida Agricultural & Mechanical 14
> The Rattlers surrendered more than 450 yards on the ground to the Bulldogs, which was the deciding factor in the FAMU conference opener.
> Record: 0-3 (0-1 MEAC)
> Next up: vs Tennessee State (Sat @ 4:00)
> Recap from Tallahassee Democrat (http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2015/09/26/famu-vs-tsu-updates/72885494/)

Florida State -- BYE
> Record: 3-0 (1-0 ACC)
> Next up: @ Wake Forest (Sat @ 3:30)

West Virginia 45 - Maryland 6
> The Terrapins were exposed by the Mountaineers, who ran for more than 300 yards.  Maryland QBs Rowe and Garrman were a combined 14 of 36 for 153 yards and FIVE interceptions.  WVU had the ball for 36 minutes and forced seven punts.  
> Record: 2-2 (0-0 Big Ten)
> Next up: vs Michigan (Sat @ 8:00)
> Recap from Baltimore Sun (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/ph-cc-sp-terps-west-virginia-notebook-0927-20150926-story.html)

Memphis 53 - Cincinnati 46
> Paxton Lynch showed why he is the best quarterback in the conference, throwing for 24/36 for 412 yards and 2 TDs, and led the team in rushing with 52 yards on 11 carries.  On the otherside, the Tigers defense appeared to be made of paper -- allowing the Bearcats to throw for more than 600 yards passing - and it would have been more if not for three Cincinnati passes intercepted by Memphis.
> Record: 4-0 (1-0 AAC)
> Next up: @ USF (Fri @ 8:00)
> Recap from The Commercial-Appeal (http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football/tigers-take-heartstopping-win-over-bearcats-2085f1be-ed12-3ca0-e053-0100007f3f84-329384371.html)

Louisiana State 34 - Syracuse 24
> The Orange looked like it would be close in the first half, until Tigers RB Leonard Fournette opened up.  Fournette ended with 244 yards rushing... and LSU would have won bigger if not for struggling QB play, 3 of 10 on 3rd downs, and a whopping 14 penalties.  Syracuse played FIFTH-string QB Mahoney who went 16 of 38 for only 154 yards with 3 TDs and 1 INT.  Don't look at the score, LSU played way down to the Orange.
> Record: 3-1 (1-0 ACC)
> Next up: BYE
> Recap from The Post-Standard (http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2015/09/hold_those_tigers_syracuse_football_loses_to_lsu_34-24_brent_axe_recap.html#0)

Navy 28 - Connecticut 18
> The Huskies held Navy QB to his lowest total yards of the season, only 142 yards and 3 TDs rushing.  But U Conn could not get anything going on offense against the Midshipmen, convering only 4 of 12 third downs and 1 of 5 fourth downs and with QB Shirreffs going for 19 of 32 for 219 yards and 2 TDs.
> Record: 2-2 (0-1 AAC)
> Next up: @ Brigham Young (Sat @ 10:15)
> Recap from Hartford Courant (http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-navy-game-0927-20150925-story.html)

James Madison 48 - Southern Methodist 45
> Mustangs' one-man-show, QB Matt Davis, had a decent game 18 of 30 for 262 yards and 1 TD plus 95 yards on 17 carries and 2 more TDs on the ground.  But he Dukes' one-man-show QB Vad Lee was 20 of 33 for 289 yards plus 3 TDs and another 276 yards on 20 carries, part of a 440-yard day on the ground for JMU.  If Lee didn't throw three INTs it might not have been a close game.  SMU made it close, taking the lead after an on-side kick.
> Record: 1-3 (0-0 AAC)
> Next up: vs East Carolina (Sat @ 4:30)
> Recap from Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20150926-five-thoughts-horrendous-defense-plagues-smu-in-deflating-loss-to-james-madison.ece)

Navy 28 - Connecticut 18
> The Midshipmen remained undefeated in conference play as QB Keenan Reynolds set the NCAA record for most TDs by a QB.  The Huskies didn't force a punt until the third quarter, as Navy converted their first 8 third downs of the game.  Navy rolled up another 300-yard rushing game, and generally held the Huskies at bay for the whole game.
> Record: 3-0 (2-0 AAC)
> Next up: vs Air Force (Sat @ 3:30)
> Recap from Capital Gazette (http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy_sports/ph-ac-cs-navy-uconn-092715-20150926-story.html)

East Carolina 38 - Virginia Tech 25
> The weather might have been the bigger star than the Pirates or Hokies, but the Pirates 2nd string QB James Summers sparked the team with 169 yards on the siggy ground.  ECU QBs Kemp and Summers were 14 of 20 for 228 yards 2 TDs and 1 INT - but the sloppy game (teams combined 12 of 28 on third down and ten punts) was more of who could last the longest VT had the ball at the end of the gamem but couldn't get it done.)
> Record: 2-2 (0-1 AAC)
> Next up: @ Southern Methodist (Sat @ 4:30)
> Recap from The Daily Reflector (http://www.reflector.com/sports/ecu/pirates-take-out-tech-2992797)

Temple -- BYE
> Record: 3-0 (1-0 AAC)
> Next up: @ Charlotte (Fri @ 7:00)

> Recap from Philadelphia Inquirer ()

Memphis 53 - Cincinnati 46
> Bearcats starting QB Gunner Kiel was knocked out again with a major blow to the head.  Backup QB Hayden Moore passed for more than 550 yards and 4 TDs, but threw 2 interceptions, including one that ended the Cincy game deep in Tiger territory at the end of the game.   The Cincinnati defense allowed Lynch more than 400 yards through the air and another 52 on the ground 81% of Memphis' yards.  Cincinnati won most of the statistics, and the turnovers were the reason Memphis won the game.
> Record: 2-2 (0-2 AAC)
> Next up: vs Miami (FL) (Thu @ 7:30)
> Recap from Cincinnati Enquirer (http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2015/09/25/cincinnati-bearcats-memphis-tigers-aac/72745946/)

South Carolina 31 - Central Florida 14
> The Knights started out strong, despite giving up a safety, taking a 14-8 lead into halftime.  It was looking like UCF might pull off an upset -- alas, the Gamecocks managed to force two interceptions and scored three touchdowns in the third quarter to take the lead for good.  UCF had the ball six times in the 2nd half: the first two ended in punts, the next two in interceptions, the last two were turned over on downs.  UCF was 3/12 on 3rd down and 1/3 of 4th down.  The most staggering stat: UCF ran the ball 23 times for 26 yards.
> Record: 0-4 (0-0 AAC)
> Next up: @ Tulane (Sat @ Noon)
> Recap from Orlando Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-news-0927-20150926-story.html)

----------------------

My own personal "who cares" AAC rankings for week #4:

1. Memphis (4-0, 1-0)  [LW:1]
2. Navy (3-0, 2-0)  [LW:2]
3. Temple (3-0, 1-0)  [LW:3]
4. Houston (3-0, 0-0)  [LW:4]
5. Cincinnati (2-2, 0-2)  [LW:5]
6. East Carolina (2-2, 0-1)  [LW:6]
7. Tulsa (2-1, 0-0)  [LW:7]
8. Connecticut (2-2, 0-1)  [LW:8]
9. South Florida (1-2, 0-0)  [LW:10]
10. Tulane (1-2, 0-0)  [LW:11]
11. Southern Methodist (1-3, 0-0)  [LW:9]
12. Central Florida (0-4, 0-0)  [LW:12]

Just a little re-arranging toward the bottom of the pile, but there are three "tiers" in the American.  Memphis, Navy, Temple, and Houston everyone else - except for UCF and maybe SMU - are average teams that could win or lose any given Sunday.

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

USF might be able to squeak out 3 more wins, but no way we beat five of the remaining teams.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

:wtf:You called them us... Great report though and I agree with your assessments. 

Edited by Sellular1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

FAMU and Maryland putting it into perspective by showing just how bad they really are.

• Upvote 1

:wtf:You called them us... Great report though and I agree with your assessments. 

Yeah... and when I was drafting it, I typed USF too many times ... it happens when I am writing about Florida State as well... it's "muscle memory" because I type USF so many times -- not only because it's my alma mater and the best school anywhere... it's also in my username for this and a bunch of other sites... my fingers just type USF so naturally. HA!

Edited by JimUSFSig

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

FAMU and Maryland putting it into perspective by showing just how bad they really are.

Their performance is very disheartening.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  246
  • Days Won:  0

This is a great assessment. But i think Tulane is the worst of the conference by far, and im surprised by how many power rankings dont have them there at the bottom. Im ready to put my money on UCF beating Tulane this week. Also something I noticed was that USF by far has the hardest SoS in the conference. Each team plays their own division, and two from the other division. USF imo is in the deeper division, while also playing two of the three good teams in the west, and 3 P5 teams.