• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stand with Willie!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,617
  • Days Won:  51

Some time ago, I managed a club in Ybor. Not really for too long -- I think maybe three or four years. In that time period, I was held up twice, stabbed in the arm once, watched a patron stabbed to death in the street, watched a drunk man get hit/drug by a car full of other drunk men, watched a drunk girl fall off of a balcony onto the street and die, saw a crowd of recently pepper-sprayed Indians claw at the windows to escape their gestapo attackers, and so on and so on...

They made a lot of changes while I was working down there... they built Centro, they gave some rent-free space to HCC artists, tried to clean up Guavaween... none of it seemed to help. As long as the State rakes in the liquor tax funds without reinvesting that money into better police education/gear, infrastructure and public transportation options, it's just going to continue to be a mess down there regardless of Gonzmart's desires. If I find myself traveling to Ybor for work, I'm in and out as soon as possible.

Glad you finally found a new job.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Some time ago, I managed a club in Ybor. Not really for too long -- I think maybe three or four years. In that time period, I was held up twice, stabbed in the arm once, watched a patron stabbed to death in the street, watched a drunk man get hit/drug by a car full of other drunk men, watched a drunk girl fall off of a balcony onto the street and die, saw a crowd of recently pepper-sprayed Indians claw at the windows to escape their gestapo attackers, and so on and so on...

They made a lot of changes while I was working down there... they built Centro, they gave some rent-free space to HCC artists, tried to clean up Guavaween... none of it seemed to help. As long as the State rakes in the liquor tax funds without reinvesting that money into better police education/gear, infrastructure and public transportation options, it's just going to continue to be a mess down there regardless of Gonzmart's desires. If I find myself traveling to Ybor for work, I'm in and out as soon as possible.

Glad you finally found a new job.

Ditto. It was an okay job while I was still a student (hours didn't interfere with classes, running a music venue didn't hurt with the ladies, etc), but obviously it wasn't the most healthy environment.