• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

National Labor Board sacks Northwestern's football Union.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

Edited by mark_my_words

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

Why not just take away their choice to play?

The reason they gave was ridiculous. Competitive balance? How can you have that when there is no limit on spending for athletic departments? Or an athletic department facilities? On coaching salaries? Stupid.

So you are for a union for college athletes? 

Based on how they are treated I am.  

What's wrong with the way they are treated?

They get a great education (that some opt to walk away and cash dollar signs), meals, housing, and now a little cash in their pockets for spending money!

You make it sound like they are POWs

Does the college or university ask for them to pay back their scholarship when they leave early for the pros?

No, so maybe we should look at putting some language in the scholarship docs that state if one leaves before obtaining a degree (which I thought that's what higher education was intended for), they should be required to pay back the amount of the scholarship that was used during that period of time?

There a quite a few things but I will start with the injuries they sustain as college athletes that stay with them the rest of their lives are not covered after they leave school.  Normally things like that would be covered by workman's comp (I am sure you have heard if it) but since they are not employess they are out of luck.

There are none of the basic protections put in place to protect them from things like harassment or long work hours either.  The NCAA has some but they are arbitrarily enforced.  

If you have HBO, Real Sports covered the situation rather well (better than I ever could).  Before watching that segment I was on the fence but the case they made was pretty compelling.

Here is the episode with the synopsis if you are interested.

Synopsis

The Wreckage

Producer: Josh Fine

The stakes are high when a college athlete suffers a serious injury and a possible pro career hangs in the balance. Injuries sustained on the field can not only leave devastating scars and require years of painful rehabilitation, but also create mounds of debt that become the athlete's legacy lfong after the headlines fade.

Correspondent Bernard Goldberg meets with numerous former college student-athletes who endured massive injuries and discovers that once players are no longer at school, they're typically on their own to pay medical bills and support their debilitated bodies. He speaks to players from the University of Washington, University of Oklahoma, Eastern Illinois University and Illinois State University, who document financial difficulties stemming from medical expenses and the lack of earning potential resulting from injuries suffered while representing their colleges. REAL SPORTS also talks to national health and labor experts, asking how the NCAA and the schools have been able to avoid paying for these injuries and sidestep labor protections available to nearly every worker in all 50 states.

Scarred

Producer: Josh Fine

College athletes are often regarded as well-rounded young adults, brimming with self-confidence and good character, and in peak physical condition. However, a sizable number of them are currently being diagnosed as clinically depressed. REAL SPORTS correspondent Jon Frankel examines this alarming mental health crisis and discovers that many athletes report feeling overwhelmed by team responsibilities, performance mandates and academic workloads, while suffering under increasingly abusive coaches who often control their athletic and academic future. Frankel sits down with the NCAA's chief medical officer, a workplace abuse expert and former NCAA athletes to learn more.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

The reason they gave was ridiculous. Competitive balance? How can you have that when there is no limit on spending for athletic departments? Or an athletic department facilities? On coaching salaries? Stupid.

They get a great education (that some opt to walk away and cash dollar signs), meals, housing, and now a little cash in their pockets for spending money!

Does the college or university ask for them to pay back their scholarship when they leave early for the pros?

No, so maybe we should look at putting some language in the scholarship docs that state if one leaves before obtaining a degree (which I thought that's what higher education was intended for), they should be required to pay back the amount of the scholarship that was used during that period of time?

There a quite a few things but I will start with the injuries they sustain as college athletes that stay with them the rest of their lives are not covered after they leave school.  Normally things like that would be covered by workman's comp (I am sure you have heard if it) but since they are not employess they are out of luck.

There are none of the basic protections put in place to protect them from things like harassment or long work hours either.  The NCAA has some but they are arbitrarily enforced.  

If you have HBO, Real Sports covered the situation rather well (better than I ever could).  Before watching that segment I was on the fence but the case they made was pretty compelling.

I can see where you and the documentary are coming from.

The issue I have is that we all make choices in life and some come with more risk/reward than others.

They are making a choice to accept a scholarship with the knowledge that you could be injured and it may affect you the rest of your life.

So, why should we treat student athletes any different from academic scholarship(full riders)?

These students aren't covered if something happens to them but it's different because these kids play a sport?

I mean honestly if this is the way college sports are headed, let's throw out the whole sitting out for a year and swap cash for transfer students and let them play right away and have agents involved too?

This whole thing is crazy to me and all thanks to Mr. O'Bannon. 

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

You obviously haven't read anything about the realities of college football.

Try reading The System and watching Schooled for starters.

http://youtu.be/Eud02vzuzOU

http://youtu.be/PaO6rGqC1BM

Edited by slick1ru2

I can see where you and the documentary are coming from.

The issue I have is that we all make choices in life and some come with more risk/reward than others.

They are making a choice to accept a scholarship with the knowledge that you could be injured and it may affect you the rest of your life.

So, why should we treat student athletes any different from academic scholarship(full riders)?

These students aren't covered if something happens to them but it's different because these kids play a sport?

I mean honestly if this is the way college sports are headed, let's throw out the whole sitting out for a year and swap cash for transfer students and let them play right away and have agents involved too?

This whole thing is crazy to me and all thanks to Mr. O'Bannon. 

I am glad we can have a reasonable discussion.

Academic scholars are all about the education and other than a paper cut I am not sure what the risks are for them.

Look, there is a whole industry dedicated to funneling kids into these situations.  I have no idea what it must be like to be told by a bunch of college coaches and boosters that they want me to play for them.  They ae bulletproof at that age and I do not see a lot of kids walking away from that "opportunity".  They are 17-18 and dad can't wait to get to work to brag about his boy.

Schools do seem to make a lot of money off the current arrangement.  They also get to kick them to the curb when they are done.  Doesn't seem right.

I think we should toss the system too.  Maybe make the teams made up of guys either getting paid some sort of fee for 4 years or receiving and education.  Turn it into minor league football like it really is.

Either way they should get help afterward if they are injured IMO.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

Slick, nice to have you join back in.

So you believe everything you read as well, right?

What are your thoughts and I don't want to hear what's printed or on video?

I agree that these kids should get some type of help should they get injured while playing sports but guess what, this is America and we are still a Capitalistic Country.

Mack-------

I agree with you. Let's just toss the whole education issue out and make it semi pro ball.

Most of the kids could care less about what they got for their grade in Organic Chemistry let alone what day they register for Spring classes.

If that's the case, unionize away but I think we are getting way off base when it comes to what a college or university is there to provide morally.

That being an education and not a chance to become part of the next 30 for 30 "Broke" episode.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Slick, nice to have you join back in.

So you believe everything you read as well, right?

What are your thoughts and I don't want to hear what's printed or on video?

I agree that these kids should get some type of help should they get injured while playing sports but guess what, this is America and we are still a Capitalistic Country.

Mack-------

I agree with you. Let's just toss the whole education issue out and make it semi pro ball.

Most of the kids could care less about what they got for their grade in Organic Chemistry let alone what day they register for Spring classes.

If that's the case, unionize away but I think we are getting way off base when it comes to what a college or university is there to provide morally.

That being an education and not a chance to become part of the next 30 for 30 "Broke" episode.

I look it at this way. Who is college football supposed to benefit and who in actuality does it benefit? Everyone gets paid but the athletes and they get, in many cases, a worthless degree and often life long medical problems. So some kind of voice, on their behalf, is needed. The NCAA has no arbitration, they just rule.The NCAA controls everything. Non-athletes would baulk at what athletes have to abide by so in this case, I agree they need a say which they currently don't have. I was on scholarship, non-athletic, and I didn't have any restrictions. And I believe what I read by award winning investigative reporters, which is what those two things I suggested were written by.