• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ban college football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Well here's his problem, he doesn't know what college is for. If all you want is a job, go to a trade school. College is about opening your mind to seek new horizons.

Football only provides the thickest layer of distraction in an atmosphere in which colleges and universities these days are all about distraction, nursing an obsession with the social well-being of students as opposed to the obsession that they are there for the vital and single purpose of learning as much as they can to compete in the brutal realities of the global economy.

what the hell does that mean? how does watching football open your mind?

I was referring to the underlined section.

Big Time Football is just one of many things to be experienced while in college.

College is absolutely NOT about single-mindedly tarining yourself for a job.

sorry but the entire reason for a college to exist is to train young people for a job.

This statement is incorrect and was even discussed at a recent USF event where some of the higher ups were discussing and the myth was dispelled. In fact the quote was something along the lines of "USF's mission is not to train people for jobs, that is the role of trade schools and certificate based programs...." and I paraphrase.

Not to say some of the specialized programs don't do exactly that (think teaching certs and our nursing program), but the outcome is not necessarily a direct fit for any particular job. More it is a series of related courses in a particular topic area to prepare a person with the thinking and critical reasoning skills to assist them in a particular direction.

Edited by IncrediBULL

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Not to mention, I'm a little baffled how a game played at max, 8 times at home, typically on a Saturday (a non-class day) over the course of a whole year is somehow a major distraction to those there for an education.

I didn't read the article but athletics suck all kinds of financial resources away from a school. Imagine what USF could do academically with the $13M per year they charge students for their athletic fees. that medical learning center downtown cost $38M. they could build something similar every three years and pay cash if they didn't have the athletic drain.

Why are you here? Why do you post on the athletic board. You've made it abundantly clear that you hate athletics. Do you really think that you are going to change any minds here? You remind me of some kid that used to sit next to me at B-o-B in the Marshall Center, he would say over and over again how bad atheltics are for a University. He had/has no social skills. Social skills are extremely important in the business world. There are hundreds of thousands of kids graduating every year. Without social skills for interviews some of them will have a much harder time landing a job. Football/sports in general help develop those skills that will benefit them tremendously later in life.

I don't hate athletics. far from it. I think amatuer athletics have lost a great deal of their charm. now it's all about the money. When a public university pays a football coach $6M a year then something is wrong. I think it's a joke for university presidents to cry poverty when taxpayer money is cut from their budget all while they charge students $10's of millions a year to fund an athletic department. I'm in favor of athletics. I'm also fine if the generate boatloads of cash for the GENERAL FUND of a college. I'm tired of the arms race at these public, taxpayer funded schools. $75M athletic dorms at OU, $6M head coach at Alabama, etc. where does it end?

Football/sports develop social skills?? wow there's a legit reason I never considered for paying gym coaches millions and building athletic shrines.

Why do you site facts/numbers that are just not accurate or true. The $75M athletic dorm statement is a flat out lie. The dorm will house all types of students. 51% students and 49% student athletes. See the link that has the facts.

http://www.soonersports.com/genrel/032411aaa.html

That is only because it would be an NCAA violation to give athletes preferential treatment. More openly, a lot of states have laws saying the same...

There are little to no athlete only dorms now for those reasons. Thus the breakdown of 51-49

Edited by Joe

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Not to mention, I'm a little baffled how a game played at max, 8 times at home, typically on a Saturday (a non-class day) over the course of a whole year is somehow a major distraction to those there for an education.

I didn't read the article but athletics suck all kinds of financial resources away from a school. Imagine what USF could do academically with the $13M per year they charge students for their athletic fees. that medical learning center downtown cost $38M. they could build something similar every three years and pay cash if they didn't have the athletic drain.

Why are you here? Why do you post on the athletic board. You've made it abundantly clear that you hate athletics. Do you really think that you are going to change any minds here? You remind me of some kid that used to sit next to me at B-o-B in the Marshall Center, he would say over and over again how bad atheltics are for a University. He had/has no social skills. Social skills are extremely important in the business world. There are hundreds of thousands of kids graduating every year. Without social skills for interviews some of them will have a much harder time landing a job. Football/sports in general help develop those skills that will benefit them tremendously later in life.

I don't hate athletics. far from it. I think amatuer athletics have lost a great deal of their charm. now it's all about the money. When a public university pays a football coach $6M a year then something is wrong. I think it's a joke for university presidents to cry poverty when taxpayer money is cut from their budget all while they charge students $10's of millions a year to fund an athletic department. I'm in favor of athletics. I'm also fine if the generate boatloads of cash for the GENERAL FUND of a college. I'm tired of the arms race at these public, taxpayer funded schools. $75M athletic dorms at OU, $6M head coach at Alabama, etc. where does it end?

Football/sports develop social skills?? wow there's a legit reason I never considered for paying gym coaches millions and building athletic shrines.

Why do you site facts/numbers that are just not accurate or true. The $75M athletic dorm statement is a flat out lie. The dorm will house all types of students. 51% students and 49% student athletes. See the link that has the facts.

http://www.soonerspo.../032411aaa.html

That is only because it would be an NCAA violation to give athletes preferential treatment. More openly, a lot of states have laws saying the same...

There are little to no athlete only dorms now for those reasons. Thus the breakdown of 51-49

I know, I remember when FSU had to "allow" "regular" students to live in Burt Reynolds hall.