• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A preview of our new offense... hint, Baylor

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

Although the stats don't tell the full story, there does not seem to be a major difference in rushing/passing mix between USF and Texas in 2016. USF's offense was more explosive but that could be a reflection of the difference in competition. USF could afford to pass the ball more especially throwing the ball down the field.   Element of the Gulf Coast were derived from Briles Baylor offense so I do not expect a huge shift from the fundamentals. I do believe some of the West Coast elements that supported the run may disappear.  Either way I believe this style of offense will play well for Flowers and Kean.

Rushing

• USF  570 for 3,709 6.5/rush  92 tds
  • Texas 597 for 2,871 5.5/rush 74 tds

Passing

• USF 358 for 2,941 8.22/pass 26 tds
  • Texas 402 for 3,024 7.52/pass 21 tds

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/251/texas-longhorns

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/58/south-florida-bulls

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

I'm not an expert, but from what it appeared we really worked off of a handful of plays in the passing game.

-jetsweep 

-bubble screen to Rodney

-RPO, where the QB and RB play off the defense.

The big thing I noticed is virtually every route tree had someone running a fly route; whether it was Rod, MVS or McCants. So those deep passes were thrown because it just so happened the one guy running the fly beat his man.

The Baylor portion was the mixed formations splitting the defense extremely wide. I'm honestly not sure how much more difficult the new offense would be to master; unless all of the terminology is completely different. Heck if a pass isn't there QF just bailed and made it work; he's still gonna do that.

Edited by Ionbull

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

On 2/4/2017 at 0:18 PM, Mama_Bull said:

I agree.

IMO, Over the years, we have not used our TE's enough.

I believe Wilcox can be a beast.  A big dude that can be a workhorse in this offense.  I hope he works on his ball control in the preseason. 

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

On 2/4/2017 at 0:23 PM, Blackice12 said:

Although the stats don't tell the full story, there does not seem to be a major difference in rushing/passing mix between USF and Texas in 2016. USF's offense was more explosive but that could be a reflection of the difference in competition. USF could afford to pass the ball more especially throwing the ball down the field.   Element of the Gulf Coast were derived from Briles Baylor offense so I do not expect a huge shift from the fundamentals. I do believe some of the West Coast elements that supported the run may disappear.  Either way I believe this style of offense will play well for Flowers and Kean.

Rushing

• USF  570 for 3,709 6.5/rush  92 tds
  • Texas 597 for 2,871 5.5/rush 74 tds

Passing

• USF 358 for 2,941 8.22/pass 26 tds
  • Texas 402 for 3,024 7.52/pass 21 tds

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/251/texas-longhorns

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/58/south-florida-bulls

USF had 47 rushing touchdowns last year. Texas had 27. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Watching the Falcons and Pats last night made me think I prefer our style of play on offense. As long as we have "just enough" defense to keep them from catching up in the end...

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

6 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Watching the Falcons and Pats last night made me think I prefer our style of play on offense. As long as we have "just enough" defense to keep them from catching up in the end...

Watching the game last night gave me a new appreciation for coaches calling a draw play on 3rd and 23 and settling for the field goal attempt.