• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

5 Reasons why UW wins this Saturday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

UW will most likely win. But Tanner McAvoy is not the best player on the field when the field has Gordon on it. 

Maybe the best versatile, as I heard last week that he actually played safety his first year or so in college football.  He's a better runner than passer (like Maryland's QB), so we need to protect the ends & maybe even leave a LB spy in the middle.

The Wisconsis D is sus.  If White gets time, someone like Adams or Bronson can get a step behind (as they did with NC State).

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Is this a UW fan?  I've never been a big fan of going to an opposing team's message board and starting a topic as to why you'll win.  To each his own, I guess.  Well, I'll just go through each of his points briefly...

Generally this would not go over well on any message board, even here. However a combined 7 wins over the last 2 1/3 seasons has given us a healthy dose of realism/skepticism of our own team.  If you guys do not buy out of the return game hopefully there will be more fight about why, in fact, you won't win then.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Only 34-17?

I'm thinking more like 64-12.

that score is SACRED!  Do not cite it in vain

Haha... Sacred like we say it and then conclude with "Thus sayeth Rocky.."?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Days Won:  0

I'm highly skeptical of #1

1. Tanner MacEvoy - He is the best player on the field, enough said on that. He has three games as QB under his belt and he will do everything possible to win the game.

2. Offensive Line - They average a weight of 332 lbs across the line, they are ready to dominate the line of scrimmage. Marz, Lewallen, Voltz, Costigan, Havenstein, Watt, Ossai, etc. These boys have the attitude and are ready to rumble.

3. Aranda - New Defensive Scheme and a new attitude. Every player has spoke out about the difference between year-1 Aranda and year-2 Aranda, we will see a much improved defense on 9/27.

4. Speed, Speed, Speed - This is the fastest UW team has been in a long time. Melvin Gordon, Cory Clemente, Daryl Ogunbowale, Alex Erickson, Sam Arneson, George Rushing, Jessie Hayes, etc. The newbies will be inexperienced but will bring something that they haven't had in past seasons, speed.

5. Time of Possession - I think UW can dominate the time of possession stat. The more they can shorten the game and keep their defense off of the field, the better chance they have to win the game.

I think UW wins rather easily, say 34-17?

1) It's "McEvoy". As of right now, a below average passing QB is not in the same league as Melvin Gordon.

2) There is no player named "Ossai."

4) From that list, only Gordon and maybe Dare Ogunbowale are fast, but they aren't that fast. Melvin is more acceleration, and Dare will not get the ball when it matters (3rd string). All the other guys on your list are average to slow. You could have said Alec James, Vince Biegel and Leon Jacobs, all of which are fast for their positions. Overall, the Badgers have pretty average team speed, and are pretty slow at WR and DB.

• Content Count:  32

Tanner is a great athlete but IMO not a starting caliber QB in the B10. I am not sure why Wisconsin is still ranked in the top 25. They lost to LSU at a neutral site and beat two cup cakes. LSU is young and still trying to find themselves. 

Wisconsin has a great offensive line and great RBs, everything else is a question mark. They have a young front 7 and are not very deep at that position. DBs are small and probably their weakest position. 

Not sure what makes you think McEvoy is not a B1G caliber quarterback.  He had some elite offers out of JUCO (Oregon, Texas, Florida, WVU, Wisconsin).  Obviously those coaches believed he was a P5 caliber quarterback.  His passing statistics are identical to Joel Stave in 2013, but he has added 200+ rushing yards to the table, too.

Its been such a small sample size - quite unfair to lump him in a group that does not belong in the B1G.  

Wisconsin is ranked because they started the season at No. 14, lost to the No. 13 team, and proceeded to win their next two games with relative ease.  You really don't expect a Top 15 team that loses by four to another Top 15 team to drop out of the rankings, do you?  It doesn't matter how you perceive LSU to be.  They were ranked where they were ranked.

DBs are not Wisconsin's weakest position.  A very experienced group that finished 2013 Top 15 nationally.  The secondary returned three of four starters from a season ago and are playing well thus far, as they are Top 25 nationally.  Just as there is with every secondary, there are weaknesses.  To call them weak, though, is wrong.

(4)  Well, I won't get into this post.  You spelt the majority of those players' names wrong and I would personally use some other examples other than the players you mentioned (exception being Gordon and Clement).

Clement is a good player, but he is not fast.

• Content Count:  32

(4)  Well, I won't get into this post.  You spelt the majority of those players' names wrong and I would personally use some other examples other than the players you mentioned (exception being Gordon and Clement).

Clement is a good player, but he is not fast.

Has been clocked at a sub-4.45.  Is it a burner a la Jerick McKinnon?  No.  He does bring plenty of speed to the position, though.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Is this a UW fan?

We're not claiming him. He's all yours.

DBs are not Wisconsin's weakest position.  A very experienced group that finished 2013 Top 15 nationally.  The secondary returned three of four starters from a season ago and are playing well thus far, as they are Top 25 nationally.  Just as there is with every secondary, there are weaknesses.  To call them weak, though, is wrong.

I'd say the WRs are the weakest group followed by the DBs so far this season.

Yeah, UW returns a lot of starters, but they still aren't covering well. Most of the reason for UW's decent pass defense stats is that we don't play very good competition on average - definitely few good passing offenses in the Big Ten, and Aranda covers up deficiencies with blitz packages. Also, UW's run game, controls the clock and speeds up the game, so opponent passing yards will be lower due to less possession. 

UW will have a lot of trouble against good passing teams this year. Probably will not have to worry about it much until the CCG and bowl game as the teams on the regular season schedule don't pass well.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Couldn't help it