• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Even Michigan has Attendance Problems

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

It was either here, or on Facebook, but the gist of the article was that students - through no real fault of their own - are distancing themselves from the Saturday college football experience for the simple reason that they see other things to do as more valuable. It cited the "I have better things to do than" stand in line for ticket, sit for three hours, etc. sort of reasoning. And we see, perhaps to a lesser degree, the same thing here. Whenever we trot out the attendance thread, there's the obligatory listing of everything that you could do instead of sit at a football game. 

And make no mistake. The competition is digital in nature. With heads down and thumbs poised relentlessly over digital devices, anything that doesn't have constant feedback is going to be relegated to second-tier status. That's part of why every split second of every sporting event has to be filled with "something" (anything...have some guy run around waving a flag, throw footballs at an inflated costume or have two guys run some concocted relay race). And that sixty-inch smart tv in the comfort of the media room is competition for attendance. If I'm disgusted with the product, I don't have to leave the stadium and drive elsewhere, I just reach for the remote.

It was a great article, if I find it again I'll post the link here, but everyone across the board is having to address attendance because, indeed, there are other viable entertainment options available.

My step-daughter works for Disney and was in a meeting with Roger Goodell, he came down to talk to Disney to get ideas about how to get people back in stadiums.

Hmmm, that's funny asking fellow geedy company Disney for advice. Here's some free advice for you, NFL. Quit the price gouging for parking and concessions, quit treating the fans like they are terrorists, and quit gearing everything for the TV audience to the detriment of the fans who would actually go and attend the game. That doesn't sound too hard, does it? Treat your customer like a valued loyal friend who has a stake in your team, emotional and financial, and not just a purse that you tolerate until you can get it opened.

Go Bulls!