• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Earthquakes?

Gismo

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

I am traveling on business in San Bernardio and I was just awoken any an earthquake at about 1:30 am PST.

Earthquake logs say 4.4 magnitude only 5.7 km deep. I was asleep and woken by my bed shaking and stuff rattling in my room. At first in my drowsy state I just thought it was wind even though my bed was shaking like crazy. Then I finally realized "holy crap my bed was shaking like mad and furniture was rattling, that was an earthquake!"

I guess it took me a while to figure it out being a Florid native I was initially thinking "wow it's windy outside." But once I realized it was too crazy to be wind it had stopped. Then I googled the earthquake tracking sites on my phone and there it was like almost right under me a 4.5 quake.

Now I'm awake, darn thing woke me up I was sound asleep.

How common is it to feel an Earthquake out here in Cali? I swear last time I was here three weeks ago I felt my hotel swaying on the 4th floor and so

I looked on a quake log and it showed like 1.8 magnitude in my area at the time. I thought you couldn't feel those, but I think maybe I did since the building sway prompted me to look it up.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

In Japan, as in Cali, there are quakes literally every day. Some you feel some you don't. Swaying buildings were pretty common, as were trembling floors.

In 14 years there, the only one that woke me up like you had today was the 1995 Kobe quake at 6.8 according to USGS, 7.3 according to the Japanese.

Quakes like that are scary. Make you wonder why you're living/ working in a quake zone...

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Another earthquake woke me up again second night in a row. Earthquake was in the same exact location on the maps. Magnitude 3.2, depth 2 km. I don't want to be out for the big one.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049

Another earthquake woke me up again second night in a row. Earthquake was in the same exact location on the maps. Magnitude 3.2, depth 2 km. I don't want to be out for the big one.

Lot's of relatively minor ones can actually be a good thing. Shows the earth is releasing the pent-up energy a little at a time, and may actually indicate the reduced probability of a big one. 'Course EQ science is still in its infancy so we really don't know for sure.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091

don't bother me a bit