• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rocky is #1! The Bulls Pen Delivers!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Yes, let's not celebrate something good happening to the university because we're currently bad at other things.

I really don't get that logic.  Winning this contest is straight up a good thing.  Why not celebrate it?

It's all about the Jones's and the bright and shiny things. Yes, our's is nice and bright, and nice and shiny, but it's not AS bright nor AS shiny as the new thing they got. So we hate ours and envy theirs. Human nature.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

I love our balloon bag!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

GSqXDdK.jpg

lots of people were voting via scripts running 24x7  the entire contest on multiple machines-- as well as more involved/evolved methods

I would have sworn that was catsup, but it's actually poptarts. So THAT's how they make 'em...

http://www.spiritofbaraka.com/koyanisb134

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

lots of people were voting via scripts running 24x7  the entire contest on multiple machines-- as well as more involved/evolved methods

I would have sworn that was catsup, but it's actually poptarts. So THAT's how they make 'em...

http://www.spiritofbaraka.com/koyanisb134

The first thing I though of when I saw that gif was pop tarts.  Thanks for the confirmation.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, let's not celebrate something good happening to the university because we're currently bad at other things.

I really don't get that logic.  Winning this contest is straight up a good thing.  Why not celebrate it?

No, that's not the logic at all - the bottom line is the ridiculous level to which this was celebrated - a stupid mascot contest.  Is that what you want the University to be recognized for in the field of athletics?  Check out Ned A Starr's post - it really does say it all.  It's not about keeping up with the Jones's either.  It's about standards of excellence that a major university (which we claim to be) should adhere to.  That means instead of being all heads over heels about winning a mascot contest, we should be more focused on the fact that our football program is in a process of deep slide right now.  That football program and its success, as confounding as it might seem to some, is actually how USF gets on and stays on the national stage.  That success on the field turns into funding and recognition for many other aspects of our university.  Do you not remember the buzz that surrounded the university when we were ranked in the top 10?  Before that, ask people what USF was and they had no idea.  Any major national recognition that the university now has is directly tied to the success of our athletics program.  Wake up - it's all about the money and winning a mascot contest (despite how cute that is) is not going t cut it in today's collegiate arena.  

You do know that schools before us also played along and celebrated the mascot championship, right?

It's a spirit award...sort of schticky, but not even Doug claims it to be anything important, why would you?

Celebrate!

PONWJEXSJVPFDYM.20140102171803.jpg

:roflmao:

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

This was celebrated at a ridiculous level?  A small on campus ceremony and 4 or 5 forum threads is over the top?

Go rain on someone else's parade.  Those of us that contributed to the contest (more or less encouraging the computers guys on campus) will continue to celebrate in spite of those who wish to trivialize what we all largely agree was a trivial contest and accept it.  But we won that damned trivial contest and will enjoy the outcome.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

USF:  Rocky wins $20,000.

UCF: Knights win $1,250,000.00 trophy.

$ > Useless bling

You can't take that trophy to your grave, just your pride and respect.

Wait...

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Ned A Starr --> All I have to say to you is 39-6 blowout!