• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Angelos Named USF Executive Senior Associate AD

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Underwhelming. Anyone know if any feelers were put out to Rob Higgins?

I hope Rob is a candidate when DW retires, I think he would do an excellent job.

No inside information but I think if he wanted this job, he would automatically be a finalist for it, if not get it outright.

I would assume someone had a conversation about this job with Rob, but I have no way of knowing if the job was described as an AD in waiting or not.

As a worker bee for so many years at USF Athletics, I was very fortunate to have a great boss in Jim Louk. I would always think about the various administrators over the years and I would always ask myself would I want to work for this person or that person, and the vast majority were yeses (only 2 resounding No's I can think of right now). Rob would certainly be someone (if I was still in the department) that I would want to work for.

And ... congrats to Craig. I left USF before he got there, but I have chatted with him a couple times. I grew up in Boca Raton and always followed FAU (they were about 3 miles from my childhood home).

I can say this, FAU had a new president, and the president let Craig go to bring in their own hire as AD. I think he did a great job of growing that school's department. He also gets credit for building the best football stadium in Florida of the recent past (their stadium is head and shoulders over FIU and a step above UCF's in my opinion).

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Maybe he got the position because the Athletic Budget is becoming more like FAU's on a daily basis so he knows how to stretch a dollar?   Or is it because he spear headed the OCS ( one can hope).  

Either way I hope he does a great job and doesn't take us back 10 years.  We want to run with the Big Boys,  And NO we don't consider FAU, FIU Big Boys!!!!  Time to raise some coin, and put us on the Map. 

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

And ... congrats to Craig. I left USF before he got there, but I have chatted with him a couple times. I grew up in Boca Raton and always followed FAU (they were about 3 miles from my childhood home).

I can say this, FAU had a new president, and the president let Craig go to bring in their own hire as AD. I think he did a great job of growing that school's department. He also gets credit for building the best football stadium in Florida of the recent past (their stadium is head and shoulders over FIU and a step above UCF's in my opinion).

Agreed on the stadium. I've been to their stadium and its a very high quality stadium for the size.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

From what I understand, this guy was let go from FAU for performance issues.... and it's understood that this position is the heir apparent to DW? 

I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling inside... 

I'm not sure why he was let go from FAU.  But he got an OCS built and has hired D1 coaches including a solid hire at football coach (until the guy melted down).  

Seems like a good move to me.  I'm guessing the FAU things was pure politics.  Did they get a new president or something?

This would be the FAU president that let him go as AD.  I'm feeling even better about this hire:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/15/3398706/fau-president-mary-jane-saunders.html

During the professor-related controversies at FAU, Saunders was criticized for her crisis management. The board of trustees last month blasted her for the public perception that “the lunatics have taken over the asylum.†One trustee specifically complained that FAU appeared unable to get a handle on issues early on, and instead small-scale problems repeatedly spiraled out of control.

From what I understand, this guy was let go from FAU for performance issues.... and it's understood that this position is the heir apparent to DW? 

I'm not sure why he was let go from FAU.  But he got an OCS built and has hired D1 coaches including a solid hire at football coach (until the guy melted down).  

Seems like a good move to me.  I'm guessing the FAU things was pure politics.  Did they get a new president or something?

I'm not sure Angelos hired Pelini. It might have been his replacement.

He did hire Mike Jarvis and Matt Dohererty so we might infer he would tend to hire an available proven commodity instead of a younger up and comer. (Stan would be similar, but our football hires have all 3 been from the young  up and comer model.)

I'm not sure Angelos hired Pelini. It might have been his replacement.

He did hire Mike Jarvis and Matt Dohererty so we might infer he would tend to hire an available proven commodity instead of a younger up and comer. (Stan would be similar, but our football hires have all 3 been from the young  up and comer model.)

He did hire Pelini.  Angelos was let go a few months after Pelini was hired.  Angelos was given full reign to hire Pelini.  Seems like most of the criticism of Angelos was on the money and marketing front, but FAU doesn't seem to have been very smart organizationally.  They took on almost $45 mil in debt building the stadium.  I can't imagine Angelos made the decision to do that.  I don't know how they expected to make up that money while playing in the Sun Belt.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

Great, so he can build us a staiudm

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

doesnt blow up  my dress

that dw is still here hiring people is hilarious