• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

usf needs to either make a commitment to upgrading

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

I agree with Smazza, though. To make money you've gotta spend money, after all.

And to spend money, you have to have the money .... a key point when responding to the OP.

I disagree ... look at all our facilities, we really didn't have that money. (I do agree with you, but we have a recent history of spending money we don't actually have).

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

And to spend money, you have to have the money .... a key point when responding to the OP.

And to have money you have to find an AD that doesn't cause us to be paying 3 mediocre coaches at the same time... and 2 DCs!

So I ask- AD or the egg?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

And to have money you have to find an AD that doesn't cause us to be paying 3 mediocre coaches at the same time... and 2 DCs!

I guess i should have put some sort of a smilie at the end of my post but I really didn't think it was that opaque ...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

athletics starting with firing the wrong people and hiring the right people and increase expectations or simply get out of business of sports

what is the point of throwing millions down the drain year after year

we are embarrassing ourselves

how can school surrounded by the best talent in the sport be so bad at everything for so long?

We are installing that Stanford offense. You will see. In time, it will be a well built offensive machine. Arizona St knew that Stanford offensive machine was coming and they still could not stop. USF will recruit more players that understand that system. They will have their current players hit the weight room. They will be bigger, stronger, and tougher next year. Taggart is a winner. 

"USF will recruit more players that understand that system."  So, how does that happen?  Taggart will go out and suddenly find recruits that somehow understand his system?  The majority of the team (~75%) understood the offense better than any recruit would be able to do that, as they were there for spring practice.  However, it appeared that 75% of the players still could not operate in this system.  Yeah, I get it that Holtz left behind Spread Offense players, but to question your point about recruits understanding the system, most HS teams use the Spread or a variation.  So, not only is USF running a difficult offense, it's an offense that the vast majority of available recruits actually won't understand.

Edited by SoTampaBull

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Don't forget this..... :facepalm:

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Calm down... It's a rebuilding year and your talking about USF needing to "get out of business of sports." Vandy and Kentucky haven't scrapped their sports program. Sit back, have a beer and chill the **** out.

Go bulls!

I'm thinking selecting the all time winningest NCAA basketball program was a poor choice for your example.

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  172

and oddly enough-- the guy who claims to have a ton of money gives NO MONEY to the place he complains about spending the money incorrectly

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Don't forget this..... :facepalm:

I was trying to be more subtle ... apparently it was too subtle.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,484
  • Days Won:  43

athletics starting with firing the wrong people and hiring the right people and increase expectations or simply get out of business of sports

how can school surrounded by the best talent in the sport be so bad at everything for so long?

We are installing that Stanford offense. You will see. In time, it will be a well built offensive machine. Arizona St knew that Stanford offensive machine was coming and they still could not stop. USF will recruit more players that understand that system. They will have their current players hit the weight room. They will be bigger, stronger, and tougher next year. Taggart is a winner. 

"USF will recruit more players that understand that system."  So, how does that happen?  Taggart will go out and suddenly find recruits that somehow understand his system?  The majority of the team (~75%) understood the offense better than any recruit would be able to do that, as they were there for spring practice.  However, it appeared that 75% of the players still could not operate in this system.  Yeah, I get it that Holtz left behind Spread Offense players, but to question your point about recruits understanding the system, most HS teams use the Spread or a variation.  So, not only is USF running a difficult offense, it's an offense that the vast majority of available recruits actually won't understand.

You cant assume that the players wont get it. That is not giving them enough credit. Dont forget that Coach Taggart was coaching at Western Kentucky before he came to USF, not Stanford. He actually had a lot of Florida kids on the roster at WKU. Those kids learned his Stanford offense and started to win. Now, that pretty much shuts your argument down that USF wont be able to find Florida kids that can run CWT's offense. You are just dooming and glooming here for the USF future which is normal. Instead of thinking of the positives you bring in the negatives. I am sorry if this is too harsh for you, but it has to be stated to you. You will come around in a few years after you see the Florida kids pick up CWT's offense. 

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

not just the ability to UNDERSTAND the offense, it's also the physical tools to put that understanding into effective use.

no doubt Marcus Shaw, a quality spread/read-option back, understood the Stanford offense. but did he, at 5'9 #180 have the physical tools to put what he "understood" into the most effective practice? he made some great plays and had great games against McNeese and FAU, but didn't do much else the rest of the season... he even got injured. why? because despite the "understanding" he may have had, his small frame simply didn't allow him to handle the physical wear and tear of this offense. "understanding" wasn't the issue.

that isn't all Marcus' fault either... go on down the line, literally, and see the trail of dominos that fall before Shaw even touches the ball. by "line" i mean OLine... not quite sure they understood the offense, but i think there is a pretty strong general consensus that they were unable to execute it. they were HORRIBLE in pass protection and sub-mediocre in run blocking. reading this board and other analyses of the USF offense and O-Line, it seems a large part of the blame falls on their lack of size and strength to execute.... AGAIN, "understanding" is secondary to the physical tools to execute. the OLine simply didn't have it.

so, the next logical step is to ask how an undersized back (for the system) and an undersized/outstrengthed OLine (for the system) impact the rest of the offense... horrible pass protection leads to horrible passing, compounded by a true freshman who burned his redshirt and played his first game midway thru the season. Mike White clearly had problems with the system, as evidenced by the repeated procedural penalties resulting from his calling the snap before players were set. while White could certainly use some long hours in the gym this spring and summer, his main problem-- and understandably so-- was limited in-game experience with and "understanding" of the system, surrounded by players in positions critical to his success who may have understood the system but were physically poor fits.

to wrap this diatribe up, it is not as simple as getting players in the fold who "understand." it is also a matter of getting players in the system whose PHYSICAL ABILITIES match up with their capacity to grasp the offense. one without the other-- understanding without the optimum physical tools, or physical tools without the ability to understand-- leads to failure. plain and simple.

USF isn't strictly recruiting players who ALREADY understand the system (although it would be ideal to recruit players familiar with a pro-style offense), they are recruiting players first and foremost who fit the physical and athletic mold of a Stanford player... they don't have to understand the offense first day on the field, but they MUST have the physical attributes and athletic talent to execute that understanding, and the mental attributes to learn.

it's clear we have a lack of both right now-- many players in key positions are physically and athletically poor fits for the system, others simply can't make the adjustment to the system....

but to assert that there are not enough recruits in Florida with both the physical talent to execute the system and the intellectual capacity to understand  it despite not having played it in high school, is bogus. they absolutely exist, Taggart just has to find them and mold them.

the days of USF just being able to grab whatever track athlete they can find and plugging him into a patchwork offense like Holtz had or a super-simplified, predictable spread offense like Gregory, Canales, etc. under Leavitt are over. the college football landscape has changed. USF, as member of the AAC, simply cannot field a team full of track stars and solid 3-star athletes and expect to win 7, 8 or 9 games like they used to. it's not happening anymore.

it's time USF created an identifiable offensive scheme and recruited accordingly. the patchwork days are gone.