• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

how does our ad keep his job?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

He is retiring in June 2015 (i can't give you a link, but i know for sure) grin & bear till then and pray the next hire is the best USF has ever made in its athletics  history

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

He keeps his job as he has kept USF out of major scandals. Helped get the facilites built. Has continued to be a big part in getting key donors to keep giving. Believe, AD's get measured by how much they bring in $$$$. Now!! The 14k in the stands rests on him. He is the one to blame for that in my opinion. As JewBull said, he  may be retiring in a few years. If that is truley the case. I would hope that USF brings in someone to be the AD in waiting if they can.  Maybe next year.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

77295d1249138683-runs-hot-traffic-this_t

Looks like a younger, fatter Rodney Dangerfield.

Wow that guy has some spread out ribs.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

What I will think will be interesting is if Dougie exits the comfy confines of the Athletics fortress and articulates support for Taggart at year end.  Or, does he just stay in the "lay low" posture and see what happens next year and the year after.  At some point, he has to be seen as the leader in Athletics, especially now that the mythical, yet most powerful, man in the building is gone.  Someone needs to fill that vacuum, soon.

If you were still here in Tampa you would know that he is out and about and many, if not most, sporting events. He doesn't hole up in the building.  When we were on campus Monday to re-sign some paperwork he was just getting in from Dallas and the soccer match there. Saw him at the WBB game today.  He is passionate about all the programs and he isn't happy with the way things have gone.  The losing puts a strain on him. 

So you want him to come out and give a "vote of confidence" for Taggart? That is usually saved for the coaches about to get fired.  They know they have to win in football to get people back in the seats.  Have had discussions with others in the Ath. Dept. who know there is no marketing strategy to get people to show up better than a winning team. 

• Upvote 2

What I will think will be interesting is if Dougie exits the comfy confines of the Athletics fortress and articulates support for Taggart at year end.  Or, does he just stay in the "lay low" posture and see what happens next year and the year after.  At some point, he has to be seen as the leader in Athletics, especially now that the mythical, yet most powerful, man in the building is gone.  Someone needs to fill that vacuum, soon.

If you were still here in Tampa you would know that he is out and about and many, if not most, sporting events. He doesn't hole up in the building.  When we were on campus Monday to re-sign some paperwork he was just getting in from Dallas and the soccer match there. Saw him at the WBB game today.  He is passionate about all the programs and he isn't happy with the way things have gone.  The losing puts a strain on him. 

So you want him to come out and give a "vote of confidence" for Taggart? That is usually saved for the coaches about to get fired.  They know they have to win in football to get people back in the seats.  Have had discussions with others in the Ath. Dept. who know there is no marketing strategy to get people to show up better than a winning team. 

Very well said!!! Yes, I have seen Woolard at many events supporting USF. He is a hard worker, and I think he has done a good job for USF.  Sure he is never going to be flashy like many of our USF fans want, but he gets that job done in a 1st class manner. He has played a major part in getting the funds for the facility upgrades, and I think that is getting lost with a lot of our USF fans that want him gone. If they only remember what we had before he was AD then they would realise that he has done a good job.  He will have this job until he retires as he has done nothing wrong here. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

No, I am just curious if he will speak to it at all.  Will he come out and say anything?  Or only if asked by one of our couple bored beat writers?

I know people then say "what could he say?".  As a leader, something.  Anything.  Don't assume we all think you are hard at work looking for answers to the sinking profile of USF Football.

I just feel that as the most powerful man in the building he needs to do more than fly to games and be a superfan.

Brad,

To be fair, what can he do right now? He can't fire CWT after one season. Has to see how it turns out in the next few years. He cant force fans to show up. He cant force the power 5 conferences to take in USF. He just cant do that, so it is hard to put blame on him. Look at what he has done for USF and you will realise that he is not all bad. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

I'm trying...

When I'm told repeatedly he can't do anything and he is not responsible for the on field performance I start to wonder what it is he does.  Maybe I am confusing him with ADs in the 80s and 90s.  I knew a few.  They seemed much different and in charge of their athletic programs. 

As I have repeatedly said, whatever it is he is responsible for I don't know.  But what I have seen transpire in his time at USF is a number of missed opportunities and a plummeting of USF Football - the flagship college sport. 

Hopefully Willie can turn around this mess and he can retire on a good note, having left USF Football somewhere near the level he found it.

I'm trying...

When I'm told repeatedly he can't do anything and he is not responsible for the on field performance I start to wonder what it is he does.  Maybe I am confusing him with ADs in the 80s and 90s.  I knew a few.  They seemed much different and in charge of their athletic programs. 

As I have repeatedly said, whatever it is he is responsible for I don't know.  But what I have seen transpire in his time at USF is a number of missed opportunities and a plummeting of USF Football - the flagship college sport. 

I hear you about the USF football program. It is down near rock bottom I think. Getting 14k is prolly what hurts me the most. It has not been the way we are losing on the field, it is how we dont have a good fan base in either basketball or football. Two of the revenue producing sports. I would love to see the finances for USF atheltics right now. I will be suprised if that is doing good there. In the end, the AD is accountable for the budget, facilites, support, money, and attendence. And to get that he needs to hire the best coaches to win. Winning is the only thing that will get the Tampa Bay fan in the stands. And winning big. Right now, he is failing when we see the support. Just the way it is right now. If CWT turns this program around and gets attendence back up then Woolard is a genius. Here is to holding out hope that CWT does it for USF. Firing Leavitt has been a big mistake to this program and I agree with you there. Did Woolard have control over that? Not sure if Judy or boosters made that happen. I dont think we will ever know how that went down. But that has been the downfall right there of the football program. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Maybe he's worked on getting some home and homes v Big 10 teams.  Maybe he is attending AAC meetings trying to come up with conference alignment.  Maybe he is trying to get Tampa to be in on a rotating host for the basketball tournament and not have it permanently in Memphis.  I really hate sharing discussions with him on here and maybe I should PM you instead.  But I just don't see a lazy, non caring, sitting at his desk type guy and feel the need to defend him.  Didn't a poll show when Taggart was hired that 70+% thought it was a good hire.  Tony Dungy thought it was a good hire.  He didn't, with Holtz or Taggart, just pick a name out of a hat. He spoke with tons of people in each case.  Sometimes things just don't go the way you think they will.  Ask Gator Nation about that.  Should their AD be fired? 

I'm done now.  I know you can't convince anyone on a message board to change how they look at things.  Leavitt was God, Holtz was the anti-Christ and Doug is evil incarnate.  I know, I know.