• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A look back at our last game at Houston

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Just something for the newer Bulls fans. Last time USF played Houston in Football was 2002 (the year before we joined C-USA in Football, while in the league we never played Tulane or Houston).

USF won 32-14, Marquel ran for 3 TD's. But the story really wasn't about the game itself. http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/112302aaa.html

USF finished up 9-2 and were not offered a trip to a bowl game, which was the greatest injustice ever done to our football program. That 2002 season also featured a very special moment as USF played a close game at Oklahoma, where Sooner legend Lee Roy Selmon was honored by OU.

We had a conditional bid to the Hawaii Bowl, but the ECU vs. Cincinnati game a week later went the wrong way (I think Cincinnati beat ECU, and our bid needed it to go the other way). 

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I remember that.  I was a sophomore.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Thanks, Mike. I remember watching a replay of the game on the USF PBS station having the feeling USF would be left out. I wanted to see the team's last game once more as I did not have a recording of it.

I did think at the time that it was probably fitting that we were playing Houston.  Houston had been a power in football and basketball but got left out in the beginnings of what we now call realignment when the SWC folded. I think they have the biggest beef of all the teams which have been left out (from a historical perspective).

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

USF held a potent Oklahoma offense to around 200 yards that season.  Field position and special teams are what won the game for OU. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

JR Reed had a great game against Houston iirc

and Kawika Mitchell had probably his best game ever against Oklahoma (15 tackles etc)

a bunch of us met up at the old Beef's on Fowler to watch the ECU-Cinci game and many of the football players were there too-- not too happy with the result of that game though as it meant we were screwed out of a bowl game. At least we had like 9 players in the senior bowl in orlando

Friday Decemeber 6th, 2002. USF was in a NCAA regional in Volleyball (the last one we were in, by the way) in Gainesville. We beat FSU that day,I I drove straight from the O'Connell Center straight to Beefs. I got to the Beefs on Fowler about half time of the ECU - Cincinnati game.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

MikeG,

Think you are thinking of USF's HomeComing game against Houston.