• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is USF Athletics meeting their goals?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Every time Doug Woolard got up in front of a group of alums or donors or fans at road games or whatever, he told you what the goal of USF Athletics was. He said it so many times that he should be evaluated on it.

"We want to be the best athletic department in the Big East."

That did not happen. That didn't even come close to happening. And it's not going to come close to happening any time soon.

That statement has no method of measurement. For example without a eye on compliance or fiscal responsibility, we could win more. Simply offer the best recruits a million dollars each to not tell anyone we paid them and play for us. Then we could be the winningest program in the Big East. Or we could only take 4.0 GPA kids and lose every game, but have the best GPA. There has to be a balance and a standard of measurement.

Scoreboards are a pretty good standard of measurement. Championships too.

Those are part of it, but don't paint the whole picture.

Mike I think winning, finances, compliance, student grades are all measurable. It can be done in the aggregate but getting everyone to agree on the weighting is the challenge.

I agree. The thing that I was saying wasn't measurable was "We want to be the best athletic department in the Big East."

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Would love to have an Athletic Dept Like Louisville's. Its a shame that Doug didn't or hasn't tapped Jurich's brain to see how he turned them around and took them from 2nd fiddle in Kentucky and turned them into the States best program. One of the best in the Nation.

NC in Mens BB, Final 4 in women's BB, Sugar Bowl win and BE Championships, Baseball and softball WS, All last year. They are the nations leader in BB profit( ahead of UK, Duke ect...) Have a Heisman candidate and one of the best college FB and BB coaches.   Have a nice sponsorship deal with their stadiums (KFC, Pappa John's ect..)  You tell me we don't have ANY large corporations that have Presidents/ CEO'S or ties to USF we can tap into?

Doug utilize ur resources, Pick up the phone, Ask for guidance. Im sure your AAC brother will offer assistance.

They moved into Conf USA with us than the BE than the AAC, They keep moving on up(ACC), we seem to be stuck.  Many like to use the "they have been playing sports longer than us" while this is true, We have other advantages they do not, Talent Hot bed, Larger student body(which should lead to more professionals, potential donors and sponsors based on number of graduates alone).  Yes they had a head start but we quickly leveled the playing field when we joined Conf USA with them. They keep growing, we haven't.

BTW I Agree with Mike above, People need to listen to those who worked and had insight to what was and is going on from the inside. Our TV money is crap compared to others, We will be  falling further and further behind in the VERY NEAR future if something doesn't change quick.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Louisville has been a basketball power for a long time.  As I mentioned before, Jurich did hire Kragthrope and then finally Charlie Strong.  Everyone seems to want to gloss over the Kragthorpe era at Louisville and believe that they've been this good for decades.  Hopefully, CWT will have the same success that Strong has had.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Louisville has been a basketball power for a long time.  As I mentioned before, Jurich did hire Kragthrope and then finally Charlie Strong.  Everyone seems to want to gloss over the Kragthorpe era at Louisville and believe that they've been this good for decades.  Hopefully, CWT will have the same success that Strong has had.

And Foley hired Zook. He too is a great AD.

I know you might be responding to someone else, but the thread wasn't meant to be evaluate our AD.... It was meant to ask if USF Athletics right now is successful.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

Absolutely not and for some reason, down there in Tampa not a soul is responsible. Magically, it's no ones fault. Funny how that works.