• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie Taggart's Radio Show Replay (Sep 23, 2013)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Thanks for posting this. Taggart mentions at the very end how the guys here were recruited to play in a spread style type of offense. Although, Holtz didn't really run a true spread it was more of a pro style, but why in the world would we not run a little of what our players are build to play?! I understand Taggart comes from the School of Harbaugh and Stanford and wants to run the power run all day but why not just for this year mix in some packages and offensive plays that cater to the players you currently have???

The players would continue to learn the power run O, but be able to do at least a little something on offense during the transition. I guess at this point it is a complete and total loss if we can't even beat FAU or McNeese State so might as well do nothing but Power Run so that all of the learning and transitioning happens this year for our players. But it makes me scratch my head to hear a coach say he knows the players he is working with doesn't fit the style he wants to run but he doesn't compromise or adjust even a little bit to try and be successful... 

They were talking about that last night on Monday Night Football and I think it was Jack Delrio they were talking about and he does exactly what you said Bulls24 and matches the schemes to his players which makes a lot more sense to me.  Sure makes this sound like a throw away season for Taggart.  Plus if I am a player - especially a senior how excited are you going to be after hearing that ?

Seriously, how much different are the players we have now from the ones that are supposedly suited for Taggart's offensive system?? Where is this big difference that makes it tough for the players to adapt? CWT is doing the exactly correct thing, IMO, by doing what got him here .... and what were Taggart' exact words about the current players? Was it they don't fit the style .... or they weren't recruited for the style? Which to me means that they thought they'd be playing in a different type offense when choosing here but doesn't automatically mean they can't play in that offense. Catching the freaking footballs that you should catch is the same in any offense ...

agree.

no matter what offense you run your o-line needs to pass block, your QB needs to be able to complete passes, etc.

it's one thing for a pro team to transition a little more slowly but in college you get 5 years max and your practice time is limited.

if anything these players have shown they run block better (which goes better with Tags system), they are not good pass blockers (odd considering they were recruited to run 5 wide sets- it will help having TEs and FBs helping block in this system)we have pretty good TEs(which i hope we start using more), our QB isn't expected to be 90% of the offense(probably a good thing), and our RB has shown he is the strength of our offense(again better suited to this system).

our offense was terrible the last 3 games of last year running the so called system they were recruited for. why waste time trying to teach them that properly..

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for posting this. Taggart mentions at the very end how the guys here were recruited to play in a spread style type of offense. Although, Holtz didn't really run a true spread it was more of a pro style, but why in the world would we not run a little of what our players are build to play?! I understand Taggart comes from the School of Harbaugh and Stanford and wants to run the power run all day but why not just for this year mix in some packages and offensive plays that cater to the players you currently have???

The players would continue to learn the power run O, but be able to do at least a little something on offense during the transition. I guess at this point it is a complete and total loss if we can't even beat FAU or McNeese State so might as well do nothing but Power Run so that all of the learning and transitioning happens this year for our players. But it makes me scratch my head to hear a coach say he knows the players he is working with doesn't fit the style he wants to run but he doesn't compromise or adjust even a little bit to try and be successful... 

They were talking about that last night on Monday Night Football and I think it was Jack Delrio they were talking about and he does exactly what you said Bulls24 and matches the schemes to his players which makes a lot more sense to me.  Sure makes this sound like a throw away season for Taggart.  Plus if I am a player - especially a senior how excited are you going to be after hearing that ?

Seriously, how much different are the players we have now from the ones that are supposedly suited for Taggart's offensive system?? Where is this big difference that makes it tough for the players to adapt? CWT is doing the exactly correct thing, IMO, by doing what got him here .... and what were Taggart' exact words about the current players? Was it they don't fit the style .... or they weren't recruited for the style? Which to me means that they thought they'd be playing in a different type offense when choosing here but doesn't automatically mean they can't play in that offense. Catching the freaking footballs that you should catch is the same in any offense ...

Well... for 1, in a power run offense you want offensive lineman that are absolutely huge and will move the defensive line at will on running plays. In a spread or pass heavy offense you're going to want more of an athletic quick offensive line to be able to protect the QB. Secondly,  you don't really have athletes on the field other than an outside WR and your RB. The rest of the players are going to be strong guys that will knock you on your butt every play and two really good TE who can block and catch the football.

"He said these guys were recruited to play in a spread offense and now we're asking them to do something different". I wasn't saying he doesn't think these players can play in his style of offense. He realizes his style of offense is not our current players strength. I am not saying what Taggart is doing is wrong, it makes me wonder why he can't implement a few packages that actually plays to our players strengths.. I am not saying ditch what has gotten Taggart to where he is and run a spread offense. I was simply saying he should put in a few 4 or 5 wide packages in a game, think that would... I dunno.... catch the defense off guard? Absolutely it would. Not only would it catch the Defense off guard it would create space for the athletes that we do have in Hopkins, Davis, Shaw, etc. 

Well... for 1, in a power run offense you want offensive lineman that are absolutely huge and will move the defensive line at will on running plays. In a spread or pass heavy offense you're going to want more of an athletic quick offensive line to be able to protect the QB. Secondly,  you don't really have athletes on the field other than an outside WR and your RB. The rest of the players are going to be strong guys that will knock you on your butt every play and two really good TE who can block and catch the football.

"He said these guys were recruited to play in a spread offense and now we're asking them to do something different". I wasn't saying he doesn't think these players can play in his style of offense. He realizes his style of offense is not our current players strength. I am not saying what Taggart is doing is wrong, it makes me wonder why he can't implement a few packages that actually plays to our players strengths.. I am not saying ditch what has gotten Taggart to where he is and run a spread offense. I was simply saying he should put in a few 4 or 5 wide packages in a game, think that would... I dunno.... catch the defense off guard? Absolutely it would. Not only would it catch the Defense off guard it would create space for the athletes that we do have in Hopkins, Davis, Shaw, etc. 

yes let's go 4 or 5 wide because our o-line are such great pass blockers.

what's odd is you list the type of players that are used for spread offenses and ours are exactly opposite. we have good run blocking linemen. we have two very good TEs. we have very few WRs. why on god's green earth would we spread out?

the strength of our team and the focus of his offense is to run the ball. why would we want to do something we're not good at regarless of what system they were recruited for? is Matt Floyd or Bobby Eveld going to run or pass for 90% of our yards? because that's exactly what skip's offense was about.

perhaps you don't remember these same players running skip's spread last year after BJ went down. passing for under 100 yards and 3 picks against pitt. why would anyone want them to run an offense that was so terrible?

Edited by Bull94

agree.

no matter what offense you run your o-line needs to pass block, your QB needs to be able to complete passes, etc.

it's one thing for a pro team to transition a little more slowly but in college you get 5 years max and your practice time is limited.

if anything these players have shown they run block better (which goes better with Tags system), they are not good pass blockers (odd considering they were recruited to run 5 wide sets- it will help having TEs and FBs helping block in this system)we have pretty good TEs(which i hope we start using more), our QB isn't expected to be 90% of the offense(probably a good thing), and our RB has shown he is the strength of our offense(again better suited to this system).

our offense was terrible the last 3 games of last year running the so called system they were recruited for. why waste time trying to teach them that properly..

You're right. The Oline does have to pass block and the fact that our QB situation is probably the worst in college football doesn't help matters. 

I don't want to take anything away from Shaw and our Oline run blocking because its been the only bright spot, but the power run offense is made so the running game will succeed. They've torn up Mcneese State and FAU on the ground with 34 carries for 304 yards (Shaw that is) and had a respectable game with 23 rushes for 94 yards against Michigan State. So if you want to invest a lot in what we've done against D1-AA McNeese State and FAU then go ahead but I'm not sold on that aspect due to the competition all the success has come against.

Skip Holtz is such a bad coach anything he did should just be thrown out the window. No one is saying to teach them how to run a spread offense... I think taking a handful of plays 4, 5, 6 or even more that you can go to whenever to catch a defense off guard or I dunno when we're down by 18 at home in the 4th quarter to FAU instead of continuing to trot out 2 WR and 2 TE when we have to score in a hurry?

what's odd is you list the type of players that are used for spread offenses and ours are exactly opposite. we have good run blocking linemen. we have two very good TEs. we have very few WRs. why on god's green earth would we spread out?

the strength of our team and the focus of his offense is to run the ball. why would we want to do something we're not good at regarless of what system they were recruited for? is Matt Floyd or Bobby Eveld going to run or pass for 90% of our yards? because that's exactly what skip's offense was about.

perhaps you don't remember these same players running skip's spread last year after BJ went down. passing for under 100 yards and 3 picks against pitt. why would anyone want them to run an offense that was so terrible?

You're either not reading what I am saying or misunderstanding. I do not think we should spread the offense out and run a spread offense. I simply think that having a few plays a game that involves 4 or 5 wide receivers could help our offense either when we're down by a ton and need to score some points or getting the ball into one of our athletes hands in space.

agree.

You're right. The Oline does have to pass block and the fact that our QB situation is probably the worst in college football doesn't help matters. 

I don't want to take anything away from Shaw and our Oline run blocking because its been the only bright spot, but the power run offense is made so the running game will succeed. They've torn up Mcneese State and FAU on the ground with 34 carries for 304 yards (Shaw that is) and had a respectable game with 23 rushes for 94 yards against Michigan State. So if you want to invest a lot in what we've done against D1-AA McNeese State and FAU then go ahead but I'm not sold on that aspect due to the competition all the success has come against.

Skip Holtz is such a bad coach anything he did should just be thrown out the window. No one is saying to teach them how to run a spread offense... I think taking a handful of plays 4, 5, 6 or even more that you can go to whenever to catch a defense off guard or I dunno when we're down by 18 at home in the 4th quarter to FAU instead of continuing to trot out 2 WR and 2 TE when we have to score in a hurry?

list 5 receivers you're going to trot out there. tell me we have a QB that can run and pass for 90% of our offense with only 5 linemen in to block.

it's obvious the strength of this team is to line up with 2 TEs (happen to be 2 of 3 best receivers on team) and run the ball. Our back is #6 in nation averaging over 7 yards per carry and you want him to change it up.

You're either not reading what I am saying or misunderstanding. I do not think we should spread the offense out and run a spread offense. I simply think that having a few plays a game that involves 4 or 5 wide receivers could help our offense either when we're down by a ton and need to score some points or getting the ball into one of our athletes hands in space.

Holtz spread was junk. we can't pass block. we need more than just 5 linemen in to block effectively.

it will not help our offense by using less blockers.

how effective was the spread last year when we scored 1 TD in last 3 games?

Edited by Bull94

agree.

list 5 receivers you're going to trot out there. tell me we have a QB that can run and pass for 90% of our offense with only 5 linemen in to block.

it's obvious the strength of this team is to line up with 2 TEs (happen to be 2 of 3 best receivers on team) and run the ball. Our back is #6 in nation averaging over 7 yards per carry and you want him to change it up.

Haha dude... you are completely missing what I am saying. Andre Davis, Ruben Gonzalez, Derrick Hopkins, line up Sean Price as a WR, Deonte Welch, Chris Dunkley, etc. You think its just completely off the wall to run 4 plays a game on a 3rd and long or a situation like that in a spread? K man...

Holtz spread was junk. we can't pass block. we need more than just 5 linemen in to block effectively.

it will not help our offense by using less blockers.

how effective was the spread last year when we scored 1 TD in last 3 games?

I AM NOT SAYING TO RUN A SPREAD OFFENSE. I am saying to have a few plays or packages where its AN OPTION 4 or 5 times A GAME. 

agree.

Haha dude... you are completely missing what I am saying. Andre Davis, Ruben Gonzalez, Derrick Hopkins, line up Sean Price as a WR, Deonte Welch, Chris Dunkley, etc. You think its just completely off the wall to run 4 plays a game on a 3rd and long or a situation like that in a spread? K man...

no I'm not missing what you are saying. first off you weren't saying to run a few plays with 5 wide. secondly we can't protect our passers as is and you want to leave them back there with 5 linemen only. they would get killed. the only reason BJ was able to run it was because he was a tremendous athlete. why isn't lining Davis and McFarland as TEs with 2 wideouts and an RB out of the backfield just as effective? Personally I wouldn't put 5 guys out in a pattern with our line. our QBs would have about 1.5 seconds but I'm sure Taggart could do it without running 5 wide. that's just an invitation to blitz with no extra protection.