• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football success vs. talent on the team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

lack of talent and  lackOF COACHING

holtz needed to bring in a qb if for nothing else but to push bj

bj daniels wasn't good enough to win consistently

during Leavitt years our teams demonstrated lack of discipline time and time aGAIN

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

We has plenty of good assistant coaches during Leavitt's time here:

In addition to the few already mentioned:

Wally Burnham

Dan McCarney

Earl Lane

Bernard Clark

Lawrence Dawsey

Calvin Magee

You guys can laugh if you want, but I will also add

Rod Smith.

Smith and Magee are co-offensive coordinators at Arizona. In their first year at AZ they had the #2 offense in the Pac 12. 2nd only to Oregon. Good enough for the 7th best offensive production in the nation.

My point is that Leavitt was able to recruit top notch coaches here. You need deep talent across the board to get to the top of the conference.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

We perhaps slightly overachieved with Leavitt, and underachieved with Holtz... 

This is a good summary of the issues to me. We didn't have much solid talent under Leavitt, and shamefully predictable game plans as the year wore on (ie, one that good coaches could pick apart). Our talent pool has risen, but the coaching didn't. Also agree with the other post that said we maxed out under Leavitt--one season was a copy of the previous.

Playing the political angle, I guess, but it's really seemed like a lack of 2 & 3 string talent, and a lack of a solid coaching strategy. At no time have we had a coach (+staff) that can take a game into halftime, and come out with an altered plan to exploit the other team and come out on top. Second half...same as the first. It's like saying "beat us, I implore you!"

Switching to defense, I'd say we've absolutely had top 40 talent on first teams (mmmmm KoolAid), and saying we couldn't compete with Bama's third team!? Come on, man, I think you're drinking a little too much SEC KoolAid there...

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Wally Burnham

Dan McCarney

Earl Lane

Bernard Clark

Lawrence Dawsey

Calvin Magee

Rod Smith.

Smith and Magee are co-offensive coordinators at Arizona. In their first year at AZ they had the #2 offense in the Pac 12. 2nd only to Oregon. Good enough for the 7th best offensive production in the nation.

My point is that Leavitt was able to recruit top notch coaches here. You need deep talent across the board to get to the top of the conference.

Ahhh hold on there.  Wally was a DC and excellent and the only reason he left was go coach Yes - you did make me laugh with Rod Smith.  Trust me I am not a hater but how many of JL coaches made it to top schools and head coaching jobs at big schools ?  Not many and yes I know McCarney moved up but that was well know before he came here for a year.  JL was getting guys from HS.  Money was a joke compared to other Div I schools.  If memory serves me we always had the lowest pool of money for Asst. coaches in the BE.

Oh and you are giving credit to Smith and Magee for AZ.  I don't have a great memory but wasn't Rich Rod the head coach ?  Kinda of an offensive coach.

Edited by dabull80

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

This team was very short on talent last year. Very short

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Wally Burnham

Dan McCarney

Earl Lane

Bernard Clark

Lawrence Dawsey

Calvin Magee

Rod Smith.

Ahhh hold on there.  Wally was a DC and excellent and the only reason he left was go coach Yes - you did make me laugh with Rod Smith.  Trust me I am not a hater but how many of JL coaches made it to top schools and head coaching jobs at big schools ?  Not many and yes I know McCarney moved up but that was well know before he came here for a year.  JL was getting guys from HS.  Money was a joke compared to other Div I schools.  If memory serves me we always had the lowest pool of money for Asst. coaches in the BE.

Oh and you are giving credit to Smith and Magee for AZ.  I don't have a great memory but wasn't Rich Rod the head coach ?  Kinda of an offensive coach.

Didn't say I gave them all the credit, but they are the OCs for a top 10 offense.  They aren't paying them to sit around and do nothing.

I don't care if a guy became a head coach or not.  If you have guys like Lane, Dawsey, Magee, Snyder, and Mccarney, etc.  That is good enough for me. Funny how people say we had poor coaches, but that they were good enough to be coordinators or position coaches in the SEC, ACC or any other P5 conference where they are paid big bucks because they have some talent.  You can't (not you, necessarily) then turn around and say that we had good talent and we didn't have good assistant coaches, it makes no sense. 

My argument remains that we had some talent, but not enough and not deep.  We had good coaches.  Just needed more money to keep them

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Absolutely needed more money to keep the good ones because we would lose them to marginally better programs.  Other problem it was hard to get established good coaches to come here.  I mean what is your line - Come to USF and take a pay cut and have more responsibility but it sure is sunny down here.