• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Google Reader

Markeymark

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

With Google Reader going away on July 1st, I'm testing out other options to get my RSS feeds. Has anyone else found a good alternative yet?

I'm checking out InoReader which is just a basic RSS Reader that functions the same as older versions of Google Reader.

I also looked at Feedly but I don't like the fact they try to authenticate with Google credentials - no way in heck I'm giving a 3rd party the ability to use my password, under any circumstance.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

I've been using feedly, and I didn't think they worked that way.  I had the same concern so I read into more.  The Feedly founder had a good article explaining how they work, I think it was under their FAQs.
I saw it as being no different than a "sign-in using Facebook"

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I use Feedly, and I love it.

I read through some of their explanation - and it does sound like a "sign-in using Facebook". In general, I'm not comfortable with that setup unless I trust both parties equally, and trust they will not share/access information between them. Even though it's just an API that's being used to access the Google credentials, it's something I'm not comfortable with. Even though it's an automated process, who can say for sure that they will never try to leverage that automated process to give themselves access to my Google account? By accepting their request for "permission to access Google credentials" I'm giving them the ability to access my account, and I don't see any type of legal language or User Agreement that would prevent them from doing so.

Maybe I'll just create a "zombie" Google account and start using it for all these sites that insist on piggy-backing on Google's authentication system...

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

I read through some of their explanation - and it does sound like a "sign-in using Facebook". In general, I'm not comfortable with that setup unless I trust both parties equally, and trust they will not share/access information between them. Even though it's just an API that's being used to access the Google credentials, it's something I'm not comfortable with. Even though it's an automated process, who can say for sure that they will never try to leverage that automated process to give themselves access to my Google account? By accepting their request for "permission to access Google credentials" I'm giving them the ability to access my account, and I don't see any type of legal language or User Agreement that would prevent them from doing so.

Maybe I'll just create a "zombie" Google account and start using it for all these sites that insist on piggy-backing on Google's authentication system...

I use chrome and Log in to chrome with my google account.  Let me keep all my favorites and history accross multiple workstations.

When I login to the feedly app, a gui pops up saying that the app is trying to access:

1) basic account info:  

-View your name, public profile URL, and photo 

-View your gender and birthdate

-View your country, language, and timezone

2) Manage Google Reader:

-View and manage your subscriptions, likes, and shares

3)View Email address

I may be missing something, but it didn't seem like feedly would be getting my password, and only handling things I didn't care that it would handle.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using InoReader, it works very similar to previous versions of Google Reader and has all the functionality I need. And it doesn't rely on cloud-based authentication, which I won't trust.