• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are we out of the NBE/A12/Metro yet?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

Without that 6-year "blip" we would not have Muma, SunDome upgrade, practice fields, locker rooms, etc etc...

agreed; i just hope it all had big deposits up front so we don't have a big debt hangover that we will try to support on meager cashflow

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

The best way to gauge if we belong in a conference, just take football and men's basketball and see if we would win against any of the teams in a given conference.

The reality is football rules college athletics. And right now, we are where we belong.

If Cincy had better football, they'd be out. The same for UConn.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

The best way to gauge if we belong in a conference, just take football and men's basketball and see if we would win against any of the teams in a given conference.

The reality is football rules college athletics. And right now, we are where we belong.

Syracuse and Rutgers take exception to that analysis ...

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

If we dominate, we will be out... We need to be what WVU was to the BE

Same could be said before, teams who moved up/out were the ones who dominated. A lot comes down to $$$ but Holtz years hurt us.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I am going to route of making the most of the current situation, like hoping USF dominates this conference like FSU dominated the ACC. Some day someone in one of the Power 5 may notice.

It's a shame our track record doesn't support that.

With the remaining NBE its much more achievable than before unless this current situation spurs more of the NBE members to try harder to move up. We'll have to see if the NBE has as much parity as it did.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

in some ways i wish we had never had our cup of coffee in the BE; our program had not matured to that status and we are returning to where we truly belong at this point in our history.

without that six year blip, our progression line to where we are in 2014 from our early days would have still been remarkable.

Disagree.  USF "belongs" as much as anyone.  What has Syracuse, for example, done the last 10-15 years in football.  Absolutely nothing.  Don't care if they were good 40 years ago.  This attitude sells USF short.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

They were one of the 3 best teams in the league during our tenure in the Big East.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

in some ways i wish we had never had our cup of coffee in the BE; our program had not matured to that status and we are returning to where we truly belong at this point in our history.

without that six year blip, our progression line to where we are in 2014 from our early days would have still been remarkable.

Disagree.  USF "belongs" as much as anyone.  What has Syracuse, for example, done the last 10-15 years in football.  Absolutely nothing.  Don't care if they were good 40 years ago.  This attitude sells USF short.

Do you honestly think Syracuse moving to the ACC had more to do with football?

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

The problem with Cincy: they get like 50 people in the stands for football games when they don't win. And their basketball has suffered a decline.

UConn: their basketball suspension and coaching situation hurt them. I bet they would have gotten picked up if things were better. Plus, they didn't do much after their football coach defected.

Syracuse: Yes, basketball got them picked up. Plus, their football was on the rise (they beat USF). Of course, now, they have a new football coach. But over all, their attendance numbers for basketball and football made them a smart selection.

Rutgers: their football is better than USF's. And they have athletics branding that USF lacks. Still, that one leaves me scratching my head. Good administrators, I guess.

If we packed the football stadium and the Sun Dome, we'd be out also.

We need big attendance numbers for the next three years to improve our image for a conference. I Bullieve it will happen!

Could we have gotten out when it all went down? I'm sure we could have. We held too tightly to the Big East flag --and then we became the flag bearer.

I'm okay with the 30 million dollars, though. The money will buy us time. I'd be worried if we didn't have a new football coaching staff, new basketball facilities, renovated Sun Dome, and all the other athletics upgrades.

Don't forget that the new power conference & bowl structure is based on money and the NCAA hasn't seen the results yet. Just like any business venture, it could look good on paper but don't work out in reality. Who knows how things will will look three years from now?

Is USF going to be okay for the next five years? Absolutely! ---That Big East money is HUGE.

We just need to start winning on the field and on the basketball court. There are no more excuses.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

IMO

Willie Taggart ’s enthusiasm  will greatly help in quality recruiting.   I also believe we have some new quality position coaches. 

There is  luck involved in winning.  Proper training, conditioning, personnel  placement on the field,  play calling ,  discipline,  and motivation  lessen the luck required.

If USF looses  to poor officiating It won’t  hurt as bad.  These are things we cannot control.

Go Bulls