• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The NCAA Is Under Seige

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

Ok if I want to be a commerial airline pilot I can go to school pay all my fees and if I am good I will qualify..If I don't make the grade I still OWE for my education..

OK Now I want to be a NFL football player..I go to College for free and get hurt get every thing paid for..Oh yes I want to get paid while Im a sub par player also...

IMO come on get paid is BS and while we are at it the father who says..Make sure Johnny doesn't get hurt he's got a windfall if he signs with the NFL--Ok so the average stay in the NFL is only three years...

It doesn't fly and I project if players get paid it will be the DEATH of College sports ...I don't go to NFL games..Lots of people don't go see the Buc's play..WE have one looser there WE don't need to put USF in the same boat..

Go Bulls

No one would be using your likeness while you where in school to line their pockets with billions. Apples and oranges. Many of these players don't go to the NFL. IF you actual read one of the articles, the school he attended got millions for him winning the Heisman and now he sells used cars.
----------------------------------------------------------------

In this economy, a used car salesman is actually not a bad job. I am not sure what is connections were or even the importance of his name recognition was for getting the job. But, college football players voluntarily join their teams, as they provide them with better opportunities than other options would.

Edited by Florida Bull

On a WVU board we have been discussing this

Here is where I see it's going.

The Big 4-5 will end up breaking away from NCAA along with the C7 schools will end up breaking away from the NCAA, because of BCS money being shared with others, and the NCAAs biggest money maker is March Madness. The top 60-80 football teams and 10-20 bballs teams are going to split that money.

The athletes will get paid a stipend of about $10k per semester spring and fall and $5k for summer for a capped total of $25k per year. The schools will have to decide which sports that they want to give stipends to and how much based on revenue that sport brings in or how much you want to support that sport.

The money from TV, March Madness, and not sharing BCS money will help make these payments.

Perhaps it is wishful thinking, I do not know. But, I think the Power 5 Conferences are more likely to just form a new division for football and possibly basketball than completely separate from the NCAA. It provides stability and makes a political backlash less likely. It similarly makes it less likely they will have fo pay players. Getting to pay players may hurt competition. But, as whole universities with academic goals too, they would empirically suffer as well.

The NCAA also already provides the infrastructure for an inter-collegiate association, and with costs probably spread out with the help of the 'have-nots.'

Regarding who is included in a split: I doubt the Power 5 include the whole Catholic 7. If USF, Cincinnati, and UConn are not good enough, I suspect the C7 are not either-especially with its 'dead weight' included. I can imagine a long-shot possible exception where Georgetown or Villanova is invited to the ACC to complement Notre Dame, though.

Edited by Florida Bull

(Correction)

In this economy, a used car salesman is actually not a bad job. I am not sure what his connections were or even the importance of his name recognition was for getting the job. But, college football players voluntarily join their teams, as they provide them with better opportunities than other options would.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

nm lol

Edited by slick1ru2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

The more I read all of these changes (potential and real) the more I feel our program has missed the boat by starting too late. There are so many possibilities but when you add them all up it seems to be on the negative.

You can blame John Lott Brown for this one. He

didn't just have to retire, he had to DIE before we could get football.

What a misguided old man he was ('course, that's what most folks say about me, so who am I to talk...)

I am not sure where, but I read we would not have a football program without Lee Roy Selmon. He is the face of our athletic department.

With all due respect and more to one of the finest men I have ever met, that is not true.  LRS did a lot for USF, but he is, in no way, the reason we have a football program.

Florida Bull, on 10 Feb 2013 - 18:37, said:

slick1ru2, on 10 Feb 2013 - 18:31, said:

bull-71, on 10 Feb 2013 - 16:55, said:

Ok if I want to be a commerial airline pilot I can go to school pay all my fees and if I am good I will qualify..If I don't make the grade I still OWE for my education..

OK Now I want to be a NFL football player..I go to College for free and get hurt get every thing paid for..Oh yes I want to get paid while Im a sub par player also...

IMO come on get paid is BS and while we are at it the father who says..Make sure Johnny doesn't get hurt he's got a windfall if he signs with the NFL--Ok so the average stay in the NFL is only three years...

It doesn't fly and I project if players get paid it will be the DEATH of College sports ...I don't go to NFL games..Lots of people don't go see the Buc's play..WE have one looser there WE don't need to put USF in the same boat..

Go Bulls

No one would be using your likeness while you where in school to line their pockets with billions. Apples and oranges. Many of these players don't go to the NFL. IF you actual read one of the articles, the school he attended got millions for him winning the Heisman and now he sells used cars.

In this economy, a used car salesman is actually not a bad job.

And that is this what this is about? Taking care of those that can't or didn't take care of themselves?
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

IMO come  on get paid is BS and while we are at it  the father who says..Make sure Johnny doesn't get hurt he's got a windfall if he signs with the NFL--Ok so the average stay in  the NFL is only three years...

It doesn't fly and I project if players get paid  it will be the DEATH of College sports  ...I don't go to NFL games..Lots of people don't go see the Buc's play..WE have one looser there WE don't need to put USF in the same boat..

Go Bulls

I believe if he won the Heisman it was due to the coaches, facillities,and public relation efforts from the University he attended..If he is selling used cars then maybe he never would have  had the opportunity if not for the "Financial Investment" the University had in him. .If he got hurt..The University got "Nothing"   The kid still got  free education..

IMO Sorry in  this capitalistic society.there is a risk and reward factor in play.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

There is a lot of similarity in the situation where a company builds a lab and investigates a cure for a disease..  Since it was your Idea that led to the development  of the drug  do you get to keep the financial reward.   You received a salary for doing your job...The student got an education for doing his job..

Go Bulls

Are you suggesting someone else invested in the venture and wasn't just some fat cat with some undeserved benefit over an indentured servant?

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

The more I read all of these changes (potential and real) the more I feel our program has missed the boat by starting too late. There are so many possibilities but when you add them all up it seems to be on the negative.

You can blame John Lott Brown for this one. He didn't just have to retire, he had to DIE before we could get football.

What a misguided old man he was ('course, that's what most folks say about me, so who am I to talk...)

Are you sure you didn't mean John Allen, the first President at USF, who was opposed to Intercollegiate Athletics? John Lott Brown didn't die until 2011 (and he was USF's 3rd President)