• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NBC Network

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

Watching the broncos saints game, NBC is showing commercials for the English Premier League, a soccer league, and the Breeders Cup, horse racing. You know if they're wasting prime time Sunday night football advertising on these kinds of programs, not only does it show theyre starving for sports but it also could only bode well for US when they get an actual commodity to advertise with. The entire big east would be showcased week in and week out on national television with NO competition on the channel. And Honestly tv exposure and branding goes a LONG way compared to a few million dollars in change here or there. If thr big east can lockup a solid deal, there may be big things on the horizon for the conference.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

Really good points. If we end up signing with Disney, they will just bury us and show their other conferences.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

Excellent points

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Watching the broncos saints game, NBC is showing commercials for the English Premier League, a soccer league, and the Breeders Cup, horse racing. You know if they're wasting prime time Sunday night football advertising on these kinds of programs, not only does it show theyre starving for sports but it also could only bode well for US when they get an actual commodity to advertise with. The entire big east would be showcased week in and week out on national television with NO competition on the channel. And Honestly tv exposure and branding goes a LONG way compared to a few million dollars in change here or there. If thr big east can lockup a solid deal, there may be big things on the horizon for the conference.

You are ignorant. The commercials were not "wasted." I can't speak for horse racing, though I'm pretty sure top horse racing events consistently land pretty high ratings on television, but NBC landing the rights to the EPL is a huge coup and is much more exciting to them than Big East football. The deal was just announced today, and NBC is reportedly paying $250 million for a three-year deal. I'm guessing you don't watch a lot of soccer, and that's fine, but that doesn't suddenly mean NBC is wasting its time advertising it. Cornering the market on European soccer very early - more than 20 years ago - played a huge role in Fox's rise as a sports broadcasting power. I'm not convinced that marketing Big East football would overrule announcing the EPL broadcast deal if both were announced today.

Edited by gobulls83

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

I am not "ignorant" to soccer, I'm actually Brazilian so I do know a thing or two about soccer and it's popularity. and when I said wasting I didn't literally mean wasting, it is just obvious that the target audience for soccer prolly isn't the same ones watch SNF. My point was simply that instead of running horse racing commercials in between a SNF game they would ACTUALLY be able to advertise MORE football which could go a LONG way in putting the brand out there. Don't be so over assumptive,

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  217
  • Days Won:  0

Awesome OP. Didn't look at it that way before.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

yeah the EPL was huge for NBC.... outbid fox and ESPN.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

keep in mind the EPL is a Sat/Sun event DURING football season. Likely a lead in to a football game if we get the contract.

THat means less pre-grame.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

In still not convinced that taking our whole show over to a struggling sports network that doesn't get many viewers is the best thing for our conference.

We don't have that kind of magnetic pull for viewers.

I'd like to see a combo deal.

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

leave espn with some be hoops; all football to nbc if they commit to feature be