• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Chairman of Board of Trustees Knows We're In Trouble

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

The state of FL, the ****** watered down Big East, the new practice fields, the other new facilities, the increase in pay pool for assistants. You know, pretty much all of the stuff WSU doesn't have besides an OCS. But give it 3 years and Leach will have them in the thick of the PAC-12. Probably not on the level of Oregon and USC, but he'll be in the mix like he was with Texas Tech vs. the rest of the Big-12.

The State of Florida?

If you are a Top 10 recruit in the State of Florida why would you choose USF over Florida, Florida State or Miami?

Does USF have better facilities that these other schools have (including practice fields and OCS)?

Does USF have more TV exposure?

Does USF have a history of going to BCS Bowls?

How many NC has USF won?

Pay for assistants? I'll bet USF ranks pretty low in that category and below WSU.

Who said anything about us competing with UF, FSU, Miami? My point was, imagine what a coach of Mike Leach's caliber, someone who turned a horsefeathers Texas Tech program into a a VERY competitive team against Texas, Oklahoma, and the rest of the Big 12. You don't think he could do more than Skip ******* Holtz has done with what he has here? And for the exact same pay. And from a admittedly simple google search, our assistants make the exact same as those at WSU, including Cosh's $325,000 for a DC. If you think what we're getting for our money is equal to what they are, I'd like to hear why.

You are extremely simplistic and naive when comes to college football. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football. It doesn't matter how great of a coach one is if they don't have talent to work with. It's true some coaches can motivate, teach and outmaneuver other coaches to a limited degree, but if a coach doesn't have talent he will not compete and succeed consistently on the highest level or even in the lowly Big East.

A top flight college football coach will not take a job just for the paycheck. A top flight college football coach is in high demand and has his pick of offers. A top flight college football coach is competitive by nature and those kind of guys want to win a NC. And you can't win a NC without top flight talent. If a top flight college football coach has no chance competing in the school's homestate for talent, he will not take the job.

So, yes...If USF wants to win, they must compete with Florida, Florida State and Miami in salary, facilities, history, tradition, organization, money and most of all recruits. Even at Kentucky Mike Leach had a future No 1 NFL draft pick in Tim Couch. At Oklahoma he had Josh Heupel and at Texas Tech he had the likes of Michael Crabtree.

Oh...one more thing. Leach and Leavitt are good friends and talk regularly, especially after both of them got hosed by their respective schools. I can assure you Leach has a very, very low opinion of Doug Woolard.

Uh, not quite. I wouldn't be so quick to put someone down based on your opinion or perspective. Yes recruiting is the bottom line, but look at the success Cinci and Uconn have had in the Big East and tell me their recruiting has been better than ours - that is what people are frustrated about. Look at programs in other conferences like Boise, TCU, BYU, etc., (just naming big ones, but there are plenty others) and tell me their recruting has been that much better than ours.

Again, recruting is the bottom line, but we don't have to match tradition, history, championships, etc. with the other big programs in the state in order to recruit in the top 25-30. With momentum from consistent winning seasons and some chanmpionships we could regularly be in the top 25 because of the location we are in. Given that high probability with moderate success, we are a prime option for a coach looking to make a name or increase his stock.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  397

The state of FL, the ****** watered down Big East, the new practice fields, the other new facilities, the increase in pay pool for assistants. You know, pretty much all of the stuff WSU doesn't have besides an OCS. But give it 3 years and Leach will have them in the thick of the PAC-12. Probably not on the level of Oregon and USC, but he'll be in the mix like he was with Texas Tech vs. the rest of the Big-12.

The State of Florida?

If you are a Top 10 recruit in the State of Florida why would you choose USF over Florida, Florida State or Miami?

Does USF have better facilities that these other schools have (including practice fields and OCS)?

How many NC has USF won?

Pay for assistants? I'll bet USF ranks pretty low in that category and below WSU.

Who said anything about us competing with UF, FSU, Miami? My point was, imagine what a coach of Mike Leach's caliber, someone who turned a horsefeathers Texas Tech program into a a VERY competitive team against Texas, Oklahoma, and the rest of the Big 12. You don't think he could do more than Skip ******* Holtz has done with what he has here? And for the exact same pay. And from a admittedly simple google search, our assistants make the exact same as those at WSU, including Cosh's $325,000 for a DC. If you think what we're getting for our money is equal to what they are, I'd like to hear why.

You are extremely simplistic and naive when comes to college football. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football. It doesn't matter how great of a coach one is if they don't have talent to work with. It's true some coaches can motivate, teach and outmaneuver other coaches to a limited degree, but if a coach doesn't have talent he will not compete and succeed consistently on the highest level or even in the lowly Big East.

A top flight college football coach will not take a job just for the paycheck. A top flight college football coach is in high demand and has his pick of offers. A top flight college football coach is competitive by nature and those kind of guys want to win a NC. And you can't win a NC without top flight talent. If a top flight college football coach has no chance competing in the school's homestate for talent, he will not take the job.

So, yes...If USF wants to win, they must compete with Florida, Florida State and Miami in salary, facilities, history, tradition, organization, money and most of all recruits. Even at Kentucky Mike Leach had a future No 1 NFL draft pick in Tim Couch. At Oklahoma he had Josh Heupel and at Texas Tech he had the likes of Michael Crabtree.

Oh...one more thing. Leach and Leavitt are good friends and talk regularly, especially after both of them got hosed by their respective schools. I can assure you Leach has a very, very low opinion of Doug Woolard.

Uh, not quite. I wouldn't be so quick to put someone down based on your opinion or perspective. Yes recruiting is the bottom line, but look at the success Cinci and Uconn have had in the Big East and tell me their recruiting has been better than ours - that is what people are frustrated about. Look at programs in other conferences like Boise, TCU, BYU, etc., (just naming big ones, but there are plenty others) and tell me their recruting has been that much better than ours.

Again, recruting is the bottom line, but we don't have to match tradition, history, championships, etc. with the other big programs in the state in order to recruit in the top 25-30. With momentum from consistent winning seasons and some chanmpionships we could regularly be in the top 25 because of the location we are in. Given that high probability with moderate success, we are a prime option for a coach looking to make a name or increase his stock.

Uh...well...recruiting was getting pretty good and USF was even competing with UF, UM and FSU for recruits due to an unusually loyal, smart, obsessed, workaholic,coach. Then Doug Woolard smeared and fired that coach.

So...What top flight coach would want to work for an AD like that?

By the way...Cincinnati is located in Ohio. Do you think they may have a lot of good football players in Ohio? How many D-1 schools compete for those recruits in Ohio?

Last I remember when UConn finally played a real team in the 2011 Fiesta Bowl they got their ass whipped 48-20. In 2007 they got man handled by WV 66-21 and then Wake Forest kicked their ass in the Car Care Bowl 24-10.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Actually, Ohio is just behind CA, FL, and TX. So, yes.

Actually, Ohio is just behind CA, FL, and TX. So, yes.

So the reality is Cincinnati has been underacheiving in talent rich Ohio and still is. If only they had a couple new practice fields and played in an NFL stadium no telling what they could do.

I'm going to be honest, I have no idea what you've been arguing for or against.

I'm going to be honest, I have no idea what you've been arguing for or against.

I know.

Summarize for me. Is USF good or bad? Something something Ohio?

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431

The State of Florida?

How many NC has USF won?

Uh...well...recruiting was getting pretty good and USF was even competing with UF, UM and FSU for recruits due to an unusually loyal, smart, obsessed, workaholic,coach. Then Doug Woolard smeared and fired that coach.

So...What top flight coach would want to work for an AD like that?

By the way...Cincinnati is located in Ohio. Do you think they may have a lot of good football players in Ohio? How many D-1 schools compete for those recruits in Ohio?

Last I remember when UConn finally played a real team in the 2011 Fiesta Bowl they got their ass whipped 48-20. In 2007 they got man handled by WV 66-21 and then Wake Forest kicked their ass in the Car Care Bowl 24-10.

I see where you're going with all this while making an outrageous statement that no top flight coach would want to come here. I'll say this:

• Why keep arguing Leavitt, it's over and in the past.
  • Doug Woolard has shown that he would go all out for a top flight coach with what he has done for Holtz & staff and I'm sure we would stretch it farther if necessary.
  • The point on bringing up those other programs is 1) with the right coaches they have achieved without even our level of recruiting and 2) with even that level of success (winning in our conference) our recruiting would be even better. If your definition of competing in the state is what we did with the 2009 class, we could easily meet that or do better with success in our conference because of our good fortune to be in the great city of Tampa. From there it would build on itself if performance continued to get better as the recruiting classes got even better.

Based on that we have every reason to believe the next up and coming Brian Kelly, Mark Dantonio, etc. or floating established coach would seriously consider USF. The weather, new facilities, growing campus, investment in the program (athletics is a priority), etc. is all icing on the cake.

Half joking, if it comes down to dropping the current staff we should consider outsourcing our next coach selection to Cinci with the success they have had.

Edited by CRBULL

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

He doesn't have a position, he just likes arguing with everyone.

Rule #1: In college football perception is reality.

USF is currently in a death spiral and destined to be the doormat of the Big East. Top HS recruits in the State of Florida do not want to be associated with doormats.

Every time you ask someone on this board to name a program that has supposedly risen up from mediocrity their knee will jerk up and hit them in their chin as they state, "Cincinnati and UConn." The reality is UConn at their very best always got their asses handed to them when they played real football schools and Cincinnati has been a perreneal underperformer in talent rich Ohio. When they actually rise to just above average everyone here thinks they are a great example of a program that overacheives. When they played Florida played in the 2010 Sugar Bowl they were dismantled 51-24.

Just because USF finally has a new practice field the Simple Simon's of thebullspen believes they have something other schools don't. Hell, many high schools in Texas have better facilities than USF.