• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Darksiders  ---Time for the showdown!

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Velcro, he is a failure period.  That does not mean he won't succed in the future but to date he has not made the tournament and that is the litmus test for all BB coaches.  I am so tired of hearing how we improved.  It is hard not to improve after Macs first year with one conference win and not even enough players to hold a practice.  If your standard is improvement then next year will be a good test.  Hopefully we can follow up on the great ending the team had at the end of this year.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

"He is a failure period"

Ummm... sure.... ::)

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Not to say the 2 are anything alike but what if Duke had given up so early? Look at where their program was before Coach K. Very successful. Much more so then ours. Do you think they were all calling for his head after his 3rd year? I bet they were but cooler heads prevailed. Imagine if they fired him for not making the tourney and having a losing record in conference. I think coaches need time to develop programs just like players need time to develop their games. Remember Swifty his first 2 years? I guess Coach K would have been considered a failure until his 4th year since his record only got worse each year until the 4th.17-13 (6-8), 10-17 (4-10), and 11-17 (3-11).

They went to the NCAA finals, 2nd round and elite 8 in the 3 years before Coach K. It's not like he inherited a team that hasn't been to the NCAA's in over a decade. They were there 3 years in a row. They won the ACC tourney 2 of 3 years and placed 2nd in the third. Overall record was 73-24 with a conference record of 24-14.

His first year was the only winning year of the 3. Of course he did inherit an elite 8 NCAA team. They received an NIT bid. His only of first 3 years. Overall record 38-47. Conference record 13-29. He never made it past quarterfinals of conference tourney. All this with a program with a rich tradition.

Bottom line is it will take time to build this program. We're not starting with anything close to what Coach K had at Duke and he went 11-17 (3-11) in his 3rd year.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Velcro, he is a failure period.  That does not mean he won't succed in the future but to date he has not made the tournament and that is the litmus test for all BB coaches.  I am so tired of hearing how we improved.  It is hard not to improve after Macs first year with one conference win and not even enough players to hold a practice.  If your standard is improvement then next year will be a good test.  Hopefully we can follow up on the great ending the team had at the end of this year.

Bogus post.  Most D1A schools' chances of making the Dance are slim to none.  Judging success based on NCAA appearances is assinine.  Success should be rated on W's and graduation.  If USF graduates 75-85% and wins more than 60% on a 10 yr average and runs a clean program,  I'm satisfied our coach/program is successful.

Guest Turkey Shizzler

triple b, please don't blatantly misrepresent me and what i say, as s. bien does.

i never said i don't go to the games anymore. i said i go to half as many as i used to. from about 10 (when i lived here a few years ago) to about 5 (since my return last year) a season.

i never said anything about having our coach be more "animated.'' i talked about charisma and personality. i said a lot of people might not be going to games because our coach totally lacks charisma and personality. that and the losing. 15 games under .500 in mr. mccullum's two years. look in the stands. where are the people? where did they go? why aren't they coming like they used to?

velcro, if 15 games under .500 after two years, with little hope for any improvement anytime soon, means the program is being built the right way to you, then fine for you. to those in the real world it means we stink and will continue to stink UNTIL WE RECRUIT BETTER.

mr. mccullum's recruiting has been below par. to say otherwise is pie-in-the-sky optimism and totally unrealistic/inaccurate.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

You guys are beginning to lose it trying to defend Mac.  If the NCAA tournament is not your goal I really don't know what is but loserville.  What is this T-Ball everyone gets a trophy for showing up.  I for one have not called for his head and recognize what I feel is his strength which is very good floor coaching and discipline along with his weakness which to date has been recruiting.  I hope the recruiting improves.  I was also one of the first people on this board to say his first year was not a good yardstick since he  got here to late for the early recruiting period.  We have had disscusions on who might be a good coach for our program and I named names of coaches who I thought would be great but we all know that what we got is what we got.

Bulldoug, the chances of coaches making the NCAA tournament are about 30%.  64 teams go and about 150 don't.  Your goals are lower then mine.   I want a team that makes the Dance every year but realistically I would love to see USF dance once every four or five years.  I don't think that is too much to ask for.  I do think it is great how Mac emphasizes school and grades.

Bull94, you are right it does take time and anyone calling for Macs head now probably hasn't given him a fair chance.  Some say his recruiting is the window of our future and that it has been bad but I think the next class will give a clearer picture on that.

Velcro, if you want to take quotes out of context of my posts that is fine with me.  I love the responses umm sure  right.  Bottom line is success is making it to the NCAA tourney and we aren't there.  Only Bobby Pacual has made it but I would love to see Mac make it.  

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

The goal is to win the national championship... but we aren't goign to go from 7-20 to 30-0 that fast.  We doubled our win total... that is not failing... that is progress...

you guys are just too funny.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Bulldoug, the chances of coaches making the NCAA tournament are about 30%.  64 teams go and about 150 don't.  Your goals are lower then mine.   I want a team that makes the Dance every year but realistically I would love to see USF dance once every four or five years.  I don't think that is too much to ask for.  I do think it is great how Mac emphasizes school and grades.

You need to cut that 30% in half.  Yes, the goal is a NC but not all the teams in D1A can realistically compete at that level due to lack of tradition & money.  You also need to figure 50% of the D1A teams are in conferences that must win its conference tourney to acquire an auto bid.  Your goal to see our team dance once or twice a decade.  Next season it will be 14 yrs, half belonging to Seth.  A coach needs 4 yrs min. when reconstructing a team.  That's what happened at USF.  Will Mac Dance?  Well his player's at WMU did in 2004 so he can recruit the talent to get there in a lower level conference.  We should a have a pretty good idea by 2007 if he can get our Bulls in the DAnce.