• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Buying out Holtz?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  208
  • Days Won:  1

I believe the top coaches have the passion for football and for the profession. Then hopefully it grows into the passion for the program.

That's fine in theory, but in the specific case of Petrino, it's been abundantly evident at every place he has ever coached that his only interests are himself and his own advancement. The guy is a liar and a flake on a monumental scale.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

If you want one of the best coaches in the game. He is available and affordable. He knows he'll be on a short leash. He's the only guy of that caliber you're gonna get at a bargain.

I'm not giving an opinion on anyone. Just saying if you want a proven top notch guy he's there. Anyone else you can afford will be a crap shoot and they still won't have the passion for the program you're looking for.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  936

Petrino could come in here, turn us around then leave and I'd be happy. If he did that we'd have a much better chance of landing another quality coach, right now we are a mess

• Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  297
  • Days Won:  2

According to the USF Alumni Association facebook page, there are 15,000 likes.

If we got 15,000 alumni to contribute $167...

;)

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Petrino could come in here, turn us around then leave and I'd be happy. If he did that we'd have a much better chance of landing another quality coach, right now we are a mess

Louisville has gone 29-33 in the five full seasons since Petrino bolted from there, even after going 32-5 in Petrino's last three years. They have turned it around this year - five years later. Petrino did nothing to establish any sort of sustained success there.

This year, after Petrino lied to police and administrators and forced the university to fire him for being an amoral loser, Arkansas is having a humiliating year.

In both cases, Petrino did nothing to leave the team in a decent position when he left, and the teams were basically worse when he left than when he arrived. USF *might* have some success with Petrino as coach for a couple of years, but after two seasons he would be fired or arrested or he would bolt in the middle of the night for some other job and USF and its fans would be right back here, having this exact same discussion again. I'd rather Woolard (or, better yet, Woolard's replacement) go ahead and make a smart hire NOW, rather than renting Petrino for a few months and putting off the real hire until after Petrino embarrasses both himself and USF.

Edited by gobulls83

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

making the so-called smart hire is what got us into this mess in the first place

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

USF won't buy Holtz out and he won't be fired.

This is USF, not FSU, UF, or a similar big time school. I doubt USF has the alumni like those other schools to really run a coach out of town.

yeah-- USF has never run a head coach out of the football program ever. It's crazy to think they could do it again.

;)

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

making the so-called smart hire is what got us into this mess in the first place

No, extending Holtz is. Not every hire is going to be a successful one, even when it seems "smart," but there was no reason to lock Holtz up until 2017. At the time of the hire, Holtz was not a bad choice.

Also, you missed the point. Both Arkansas and Louisville have found themselves in ****** situations post-Petrino, and post-Petrino would be guaranteed to come sooner rather than later based on his track record, so why bother? Why not just move past that now, rather than later?

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768

Louisville has gone 29-33 in the five full seasons since Petrino bolted from there, even after going 32-5 in Petrino's last three years. They have turned it around this year - five years later. Petrino did nothing to establish any sort of sustained success there.

This year, after Petrino lied to police and administrators and forced the university to fire him for being an amoral loser, Arkansas is having a humiliating year.

In both cases, Petrino did nothing to leave the team in a decent position when he left, and the teams were basically worse when he left than when he arrived. USF *might* have some success with Petrino as coach for a couple of years, but after two seasons he would be fired or arrested or he would bolt in the middle of the night for some other job and USF and its fans would be right back here, having this exact same discussion again. I'd rather Woolard (or, better yet, Woolard's replacement) go ahead and make a smart hire NOW, rather than renting Petrino for a few months and putting off the real hire until after Petrino embarrasses both himself and USF.

I think that might actually do a lot more to show what a football savant (as someone put it earlier) he is. He left Louisville after going 12-1, and the year after the Ville still had 4000yd passer Brohm at the helm and could only manage a 6-6 record under Kragthorpe. Last year, he had Arkansas at 11-2 and a top 10 ranking, and they returned their QB, top RB and 2 of the top 4 receivers, yet are a complete shell of what they were last year (sitting at 2-4 currently). Again, I think it shows how much more he elevates his teams performance. I'll take 2-3 years of 10+ win seasons at USF, have him bolt, and then start again. We'd atleast have 10+ win seasons and be in no worse of a boat than we are now (hoping to find the right hire).

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Seems to me the problem isn't hiring Petrino. It is the subsequent hire.

Why would you pass up a top notch coach because you are afraid the guy after him won't do as well? Pretty crazy thought process to me. Although it kind of goes hand in hand with the logic of benching our best and most experienced players in favor of the Freshman that haven't proven or earned anything because we need to start thinking about next year.

One play at a time, one game at a time and one season at a time. Play for today.