• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fire Jose Fernandez

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

Most people know I worked for USF Athletics for 16 years. I consider Jose a friend, so feel free to take what I am about to say with whatever grain of salt you want.

Next time you are in the Sun Dome take a look at the WBB banners for season accomplishments. We either have 7 or 8 postseason trips (I wasn't sure which one it was). All of those have been in Jose's 12 seasons. We have zero from all the years prior to Jose.

Also, USF's all time record is .433 winning percentage. Jose is over 50% and would be higher but he inherited an epically bad team that resulted in dismal records his first couple of years.

He just now can recruit with the Muma Center and the new Sun Dome, which are certainly selling features to recruits.

To the original poster, everyone wants to win more. Fair enough, but if you are going to analyze what coaches should be on a hot seat based on results, Jose is not near the top of that list.

I just did the math, USF's all time winning percentage in games not coached by Jose Fernandez, a robust 39%.

And he had to overcome the stigma the program received from the scandal that occurred just before he got here.

scandal? didn't know WBB ever had one

USF Women's Basketball / Racism / Jerry Ann Winters / Dione Smith / Paul Griffin

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Then he will not get an extension, USF only gives extensions to coaches who perform miserably, i.e. Skip Holtz.

And Lelo Prado.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

A kid asks his father for help on a writing assignment. "Dad, can you tell me the difference between potential and reality?"

His father looks up thoughtfully and says, "I'll demonstrate. Go ask your mother if she would sleep with Robert Redford for a million dollars. Then go ask your sister if she would sleep with Brad Pitt for a million dollars. Come back and tell me what you've learned."

The kid is puzzled, but asks his mother. "Mom, if someone gave you a million dollars, would you sleep with Robert Redford?"

"Don't tell your father, but, yes, I would."

He then goes to his sister's room. "Sis, if someone gave you a million dollars, would you sleep with Brad Pitt?"

She replies, "Omigod! Definitely!"

The kid goes back to his father. "Dad, I think I've figured it out. Potentially, we are sitting on $2 million bucks, but in reality, we're living with two sluts."

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  15
  • Days Won:  0

I talked to three current players this weekend. They all say you can sense that Coach Fernandez is under a lot of pressure. They all three said that the loss of Shalethia Stingfield to a knee injury is devastating. They said she was playing really well. All that being said, every loss by Skip Holtz hurts Jose Fernandez. As stupid as Doug Woolard looks right now by giving Skip an extension for doing nothing, there is no way Jose will get an extension following another average at best year. Also, at what point does Judy say enough is enough with Woolard?

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  123

I actually had to read this thread to know who Jose Fernandez is!

Thx

jonpfl

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

football is crown jewel of sports

we must deal with this sport first

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

I talked to three current players this weekend. They all say you can sense that Coach Fernandez is under a lot of pressure. They all three said that the loss of Shalethia Stingfield to a knee injury is devastating. They said she was playing really well. All that being said, every loss by Skip Holtz hurts Jose Fernandez. As stupid as Doug Woolard looks right now by giving Skip an extension for doing nothing, there is no way Jose will get an extension following another average at best year. Also, at what point does Judy say enough is enough with Woolard?

I would sure like to know who you are. You identify yourself as a current season ticket holder. The demographics of most of our women's basketball season ticket holders are older, over 50 year old fans. But yet you have access to talk to multiple players. I know that on a message board people can hide their names, but I really think you are someone with an agenda more than just season ticket holder who wants to see more wins.

I could be wrong, but I would bet I'm not.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  15

I am a current season ticket holder with a daughter who attends USF. She is friends with many of the basketball, track, and volleyball players. I am not quite 50, but I am pushing it. LOL

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

A kid asks his father for help on a writing assignment. "Dad, can you tell me the difference between potential and reality?"

His father looks up thoughtfully and says, "I'll demonstrate. Go ask your mother if she would sleep with Robert Redford for a million dollars. Then go ask your sister if she would sleep with Brad Pitt for a million dollars. Come back and tell me what you've learned."

The kid is puzzled, but asks his mother. "Mom, if someone gave you a million dollars, would you sleep with Robert Redford?"

"Don't tell your father, but, yes, I would."

He then goes to his sister's room. "Sis, if someone gave you a million dollars, would you sleep with Brad Pitt?"

She replies, "Omigod! Definitely!"

The kid goes back to his father. "Dad, I think I've figured it out. Potentially, we are sitting on $2 million bucks, but in reality, we're living with two sluts."

I lmao'd .... hilarious!

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  130

Since everyone is on the fire this coach and that coach kick, I figured I would throw my 2 cents in. The coach who has worn out his welcome is Jose Fernandez. How average can a program be? All we hear is that year in and year out he will have great teams with all this athletic talent, yet they continue to be an average team. They are not well coached and make zero adjustments. I have been a season ticket holder for 7 years and I get frustrated every year. Recently, it has been try and play man defense with some full court press and then run set plays for a shooter. There is no creativity and a lot of times the players dont play hard for him. I think the program needs some fresh blood. Also, there are a lot of rumors floating around about Jose and his lack of work ethic. I was talking to a former player the other day who said he acted like he didnt care her last two years and said that is the sentiment of current players too. I have a feeling that this will be another "we expect great things", but end up disappointing year. After this, his final year of his contract, I hope they dismiss him and not give another underachieving coach an extension.

A very disappointed season ticket holder! :FIREdevil:

I say we reassign coaches on merit. Jose, you had a poor campaign- go to cross country. Skip, since you seem like you have the intensity of a golfer, try your hand at coaching them instead. Stan, we can't move you. You're on a roll. Erikson, try the football team and treat them like Olympians. The possibilities are endless. It will also save the costs of a buyout.