• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Absolute Worst Thing About College Athletics...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  397
  • Days Won:  0

is there are a lot of incompetent, unqualified people with oversized egos that are in charge and making major decisions. When their incompetence is exposed, they will play the "Be Loyal to Your School" card and infer anyone that criticizes their decisions are not loyal fans. The reality is these folks are just hired guns that will most likely be moving on when the next best opportunity presents itself or they see the handwriting on the wall.

In business the CEO would be sacked if the company was failing and going the wrong direction. It's not a matter of being true to your school, it's just business and what you have to do to change the direction and mindset of the company. The average college fan and alum usually have no idea how to do this, so they just run around like chickens with their heads cut off flailing their arms and arguing with each other. That's why big donors have the most say, one because they are big donors and have the most access to Administration, and two because they are usually successful business people who hopefully have some insight into making management changes. The problem with that, though, is these big donors may know a lot about selling steaks and baked potatoes, but they really don't know anything about sports management.

Bottom line: The Bulls were going the right direction and overacheiving in spite of what the clueless nattering nabobs of negativity were saying and didn't need to be "fixed."

Ya just don't fix what ain't broken

Edited by Plantation Pete

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Hey Pete... You can defend Jim all you want, but you're in denial if you think he hadn't peaked here (either because of his coaching decisions, his inability to get quality assistants to stay because of his demeanor, his losing players respect towards the end of the season during the meltdown periods, maybe he just needed a change of scenery, etc). Was Jim the best thing to happen to USF football, without a doubt yes. The guy brought unsurpassed energy to the program. However, that same compulsive spirit was his downfall in the end. Don't take it from a bum bench warmer like myself though... believe what you want to believe to defend a friend of yours. Heck, I still stand by Seth Greenberg through thick and thin no matter how much people unload on me about him. Just like after Seth left (who was honestly just a bit better than average), we got a bumass coach that ran the program into the ground. Kinda like Skip to my Lou is doing... Running things into the ground. I admire your loyalty though... it's at least worth a beer at a tailgate if you make it to the games.

Hey Pete... You can defend Jim all you want, but you're in denial if you think he hadn't peaked here (either because of his coaching decisions, his inability to get quality assistants to stay because of his demeanor, his losing players respect towards the end of the season during the meltdown periods, maybe he just needed a change of scenery, etc). Was Jim the best thing to happen to USF football, without a doubt yes. The guy brought unsurpassed energy to the program. However, that same compulsive spirit was his downfall in the end. Don't take it from a bum bench warmer like myself though... believe what you want to believe to defend a friend of yours. Heck, I still stand by Seth Greenberg through thick and thin no matter how much people unload on me about him. Just like after Seth left (who was honestly just a bit better than average), we got a bumass coach that ran the program into the ground. Kinda like Skip to my Lou is doing... Running things into the ground. I admire your loyalty though... it's at least worth a beer at a tailgate if you make it to the games.

Please name another program that accomplished as much in such a short period of time as what Leavitt did for the Bulls. Please name another coach who has won the Big East with a team that wasn't already made.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Please name another program that accomplished as much in such a short period of time as what Leavitt did for the Bulls. Please name another coach who has won the Big East with a team that wasn't already made.

UCONN

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

UCONN

UConn played its' first football game in 1896 ...

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  809

Arizona Diamondbacks

UCONN

UCONN?

You mean the team that was established in 1896? A team that played 1-AA for decades before they began their 2 year transition to 1-A in 2000, played another 2 full years of 1-A before they joined the Big East in 2004 and then won the a share of the conference title in 2007?

Is that the team you're referring to?