• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Waverly Austin Not Eligible

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

*per the Consortium Agreement entered into by USF, Hillsborough Community College, St. Petersburg College and Pasco Hernando Community College.

does anyone have any knowledge on this whole consortium agreement usf entered into? why and when they did this? does heath know about this (i would hope so)? and most importantly, if he knew waverly didnt go to one of these listed jucos, and needed a 2.5 not a 2.0, wouldnt he have known his 2.4 gpa made him ineligible a long time ago? just seems like the communication here was completely lacking. maybe Greg can give some insight here. i dont care WHERE our recruits come from, as long as they come. so giving juco student atheletes from only these institutions gpa favoritism is beyond stupid, and will continue to limit the top level talent we actually have a chance in signing now. do other big east or florida universities also sign this type of agreement to keep backyard talent close to home?

NOVEMBER 16, 2011

USF, HCC, PHCC and St. Pete College announce partnership

Calling the move a "win-win-win-win," the presidents of the University of South Florida, Hillsborough Community College, Pasco-Hernando Community College and St. Petersburg College today announced a partnership that gives students a guaranteed pathway to a USF bachelor's degree from any of those colleges.

The state already allows graduates with associate degrees to transfer to a Florida university, dubbed the two-plus-two program, but before this they've not necessarily had a choice in where. This new agreement promises that the students from those three colleges can come to USF. They will also get preferential admission to certain upper-division programs.

"It's all about partnerships," said USF President Judy Genshaft, echoing the message of the fall address she gave in September. She said the consortium offers a model for the rest of the state. "This is just a great example of us working together."

The official agreement signed Wednesday has been in the works for a year, the presidents said, but it formalizes the collaborative spirit that's always existed between the institutions.

St. Petersburg College President Bill Law said it creates a "mosaic" of higher education opportunity in the region.

Ken Atwater, president of Hillsborough Community College, used the phrase "win-win-win-win."

And Pasco-Hernando Community College President Katherine Johnson said it represents a commitment to keep Florida's students in-state.

In addition to giving students an easier transition between the institutions, the presidents hope the partnership will be better positioned to attract grants and economic development to the region. They want to work together wherever possible, which includes aligning programs to decrease unnecessary duplications and finding ways to share faculty and staff.

The resolution also lays out a non-compete agreement, saying the college partners will not seek to offer bachelor's degrees, nor invite other baccalaureate providers to their campuses unless USF declines to provide whatever program they want to add. On the other side, USF agrees not to develop programs that would compete with programs already available at those colleges.

The presidents deflected questions about whether that clause is meant to combat a recent rise in state colleges offering four-year degrees, saying that the Florida Department of Education already similarly vets any new baccalaureate programs.

"There has always been a good relationship with USF," Atwater said. "We're just formalizing it. We want everyone to know we're in this together."

http://www.tampabay....nce-partnership

Edited by mviusa

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

So, because THIS student athlete went to junior college not in Polk, pinellas, or Hillsborough county he is being penalized from attending and playing for the only university he has wanted to play for? Does that make sense? He has fulfilled all requirements.

This is so stupid

So, because THIS student athlete went to junior college not in Polk, pinellas, or Hillsborough county he is being penalized from attending and playing for the only university he has wanted to play for? Does that make sense? He has fulfilled all requirements.

This is so stupid

1. How are you privy to the actual reason he wasn't admitted, since that information is private under FERPA?

2. It's obvious that he hasn't 'fulfilled all requirements' or he would have been admitted.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

While I'm obviously disappointed, am I the only one that thinks it is okay for an institution of higher learning to act like one?

Yeah, I see how USF shouldn't possibly let 1 of 48,000 students slide through with a 2.4 instead of a 2.5

If you let one do it, what happens when 100 others try to get in with a 2.4?

I really see no reason to make a single exception for an NBA caliber basketball player with a 2.4 when you only have 47,999 spots left if he takes one.

So, next year we let someone in with a 2.3, then maybe a 2.0 the next year, just as long as they're talented.

So a student with a 2.3 gpa from HCC is ok, but not a basketball player from palm beach cc.

I agree with following defined standards, but to bend the rules for a partnership with a school and not for a student athlete is questionable. You have to admit that even your argument about standards is hard to support when local kids get in with a lower gpa than other kids. Not much of a standard anymore...

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Bull violation. All the academic committee is doing is screwing up a kid's life. This is just stupid. I am all for academic excellence, but the way this was handled is garbage.

Bull violation. All the academic committee is doing is screwing up a kid's life. This is just stupid. I am all for academic excellence, but the way this was handled is garbage.

1. How was it handled?

2. What was the reason he wasn't he admitted?

Aren't the answers to those questions kept from the public by FERPA?

According to Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times, the NCAA academically cleared Austin but South Florida did not accept all of his credits from Palm Beach State.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

1. How was it handled?

I'm going to assume by "the way it was handled" that he was referring to the fact that Austin took Summer B classes, and now they are denying him for Fall. Very misleading and heartbreaking to the kid.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

1. How was it handled?

I'm going to assume by "the way it was handled" that he was referring to the fact that Austin took Summer B classes, and now they are denying him for Fall. Very misleading and heartbreaking to the kid.

Pay no attn to the Mountaineer troll.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

While I'm obviously disappointed, am I the only one that thinks it is okay for an institution of higher learning to act like one?

No.