• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Waverly Austin Not Eligible

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

While I'm obviously disappointed, am I the only one that thinks it is okay for an institution of higher learning to act like one?

Yeah, I see how USF shouldn't possibly let 1 of 48,000 students slide through with a 2.4 instead of a 2.5

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

While I'm obviously disappointed, am I the only one that thinks it is okay for an institution of higher learning to act like one?

Yeah, I see how USF shouldn't possibly let 1 of 48,000 students slide through with a 2.4 instead of a 2.5

If you let one do it, what happens when 100 others try to get in with a 2.4?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I really see no reason to make a single exception for an NBA caliber basketball player with a 2.4 when you only have 47,999 spots left if he takes one.

I really see no reason to make a single exception for an NBA caliber basketball player with a 2.4 when you only have 47,999 spots left if he takes one.

So, next year we let someone in with a 2.3, then maybe a 2.0 the next year, just as long as they're talented.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

yes

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  856

So, next year we let someone in with a 2.3, then maybe a 2.0 the next year, just as long as they're talented.

exactly

yes

Apparently. Sad.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751

I read somewhere that he had taken classes at USF during the summer, so if that's true... then he may not done well.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

a guy like this can do so much more for the school on a national level that yes- it is worth it for him to slide in after he has already completely his AA.

I understand being hard on High School kids but Austin has already proved he can balance School/Sports at the College level and atleast get an AA degree. we arent expecting him to be a rhodes scholar but maybe just stay eligible thru 1 year of basketball before he bounces off to the NBA.

Look at the HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGE scandal at University of North Carolina with their football program. I doubt anyone thinks that they aren't a great education because of it. Our academic standing as a school as more to do with the other 95% that aren't student athletes.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

didnt this happen before to another big recruit? and it was like 3 days before class?

Yep, third time in five years this has happened.

who were the others....i forget...and more importantly- did they get accepted to another program and how have they done academically

It's on GA's blog, linked above, but here's the link again: http://www.tampabay....ible-play-bulls

those arent the guys i was thinking of. i want to say that this was someone specifcally denied by the Academic Committee and I thought it was a football player

Maybe Mike Hayes from Texas juco who ended up at Houston?

yep that is who i was thinking of.