• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Vero Beach USF Football Camp

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I've been around for a minute or two.... This will be a very special season gents....

We've heard that before!

People need to stop being so **** pessimistic on here. We have a senior heavy team where it matters, with a ton of talent. I know it hasn't worked out in the past and we have had some very unlucky breaks but Jesus be excited about your team. Dont take for granted the talent we have to work with this year. I'm willing to bet half the people saying "I've heard that before" are the ones screaming their lungs out about the lack of excitement from the student body when in reality it's mostly because they have the same mindset. Forget about the past and get excited because this team has the talent and maturity at the right spots to make a great run. And I don't want to hear the excuse "I don't want to be disappointed again" because either way if we have a bad year everyone is going to be disappointed, not just the ones that are saying we have something special. This has been one of the most exciting offseasons in USF history from recruiting, transfers, and the basketball/softball teams doing very well in the post season. I understand it's freedom of speech and people have been disappointed many times in the past but we very well could be on the verge of a huge turn in USF athletics and it's time to put the past behind us and get excited for what's about to take place at Ray Jay this season.

You call it pessemism, I call it experience.

Bingo!

And I call it ignorance with lack of research. You can't use "experience" because this team has as much talent from top to bottom as any team in school history in my opinion. Not to mention this conference is not necessarily loaded with extreme talent. We are the most talented team in the conference. How many times have you said that?

We've always been near the top in talent for the last half dozen years. Would I say most talented? Talk to me at the end of the year. That's a tall bar to clear seeing how 3/4ths of our defensive backfield from the '07 season went on to play in the NFL or at least get drafted (add in another if you want to count Jerome Murphy in the nickel package). I witnessed that team, loaded with talnet on both sides of the ball get completely outclassed by the likes of UConn and Cincinatti. My point is it takes more than talent to win, and I haven't seen it yet from a USF team. Until I do see it or until we stop crapping the bed in conference play, I will be a skeptic.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

5029b0aa1178b.image.jpg

Have posted photos from the scrimmage yesterday at: http://jprimages.com...usfbulls/081312

You took some GREAT photos!

Thank you for sharing them with us.

Greg Auman â€@gregauman

USF offensive coordinator Todd Fitch said redshirt freshman QB Matt Floyd "continued to show... strong possibility" he is Bulls' top backup.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Can't deny him playing time if he keeps this up.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Greg Auman â€@gregauman

USF offensive coordinator Todd Fitch said redshirt freshman QB Matt Floyd "continued to show... strong possibility" he is Bulls' top backup.

There was a thread where people were worried about the depth at RB. Mine is QB.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222

Floyd and Eveld are very capable of running the offense. It's not like it's hard to throw a bubble screen anyways. #kidding

Edited by usfbullrider

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/freshman-floyd-now-ahead-backup-qb-job

Freshman Floyd now ahead for backup QB job

Facebook

Email

VERO BEACH -- Much can still change between now and USF's Sept. 1 season opener, but redshirt freshman Matt Floyd has moved ahead of junior Bobby Eveld in the battle to be the top backup to starting quarterback B.J. Daniels.

"Right now, Matt would be the (No.) 2," coach Skip Holtz saide after the Bulls' practice at Vero Beach Sports Village. "They've gone back and forth, but when you look at what Matt did in the scrimmage, that's all we have to go on. We keep saying the jobs are going to be determined on the field, and all I can do is put them in game-like situations and make the evaluations on whoever does the best in those situations. As tight as it is, as nip-and-tuck as that has gone, it may very well change when we get to Saturday (scrimmage) predicated on how Matt Floyd plays."

Floyd pulled ahead with a solid showing in Monday's first fall scrimmage, where he completed his first 11 passes, including a touchdown pass to receiver Ruben Gonzalez. Floyd has been at USF since January 2011, but redshirted last fall; Eveld has been the top backup the last two seasons, including two starts when Daniels was injured.

Offensive coordinator Todd Fitch, who now serves as quarterbacks coach as well, said both passers have practiced well in the competition, but Floyd has been the more consistent of the two.

"I thought Matt was a little more consistent. Bobby started a little slow but then at the end threw some very nice balls," Fitch said. "I thought Matt probably carried over from spring when he showed some flashes of possibly being the backup. He continued to show that's a strong possibility."

HEALING FAST: USF scrimmaged Monday with five of its top eight defensive linemen sidelined at some point by injuries, but nearly all returned to practice Tuesday. Most notable was senior defensive tackle Cory Grissom, who has been sidelined since breaking his right ankle late in spring drills but looked good running through drills. Defensive tackle Todd Chandler, who had a boot on his foot Monday, practiced as well, as did defensive end Julius Forte, who missed the first week of fall practice with a sprained ankle.

Holtz said two injuries he was concerned about after Monday's scrimmage -- running back Bradley Battles' ankle and Gonzalez's wrist -- both had X-rays come back negative, so he expects both back at full strength in about a week.