• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Alex Collins, RB, South Plantation

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I'd love to pull this guy in. I'm very impressed with his feet. He's also got some size to him that makes you think he can make some stuff happen after contact.

I know there's some tendency to want Daniel Reid the guy that looks more powerful on tape (though he's the same size) but my gut tells me you want the guy that has better feet at the same size. I dunno. I'm no recruiting expert. I'm new to that side of things. I'm old hat when it comes to college to pro but high school to college is different. I think feet translate better, if you're good at identifying them. The difference is you can't evaluate power in a vaccuum. You can only directly evaluate power relative to the competition, which means you have to get good at indirectly evaluating the elements that create power (size and strength being the biggest markers but also pad level and balance). I get the feeling that what looks powerful in high school can look powerless when the level of competition is bumped. Feet on the other hand can be evaluated in a vaccuum, if you're good enough at watching the film and eliminating distractions.

My two cents.

My only disagreement with that, is look who's hot on Reid. The Beamer crew can flat out evaluate talent and Reid is right down the street from them. They have seen a ton of him and he is at the top of their target list. I mean look at Logan Thomas, that guy is just sick... oh and BTW, this is a major league quality problem. Which of these great talents are we going to be able to add? Not a luxury we have had much, lately. Edited by Bullwinkle
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

I hear ya, Beamer's crew tend to know what they're about. But I'm just not sure I see it with that Reid guy yet.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

Who would be our feature back out of Collins or kemp if they both came on

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  182
  • Days Won:  2

Collins is way better than Reid, who is way better than Kemp, imo. Not taking anything away from those two, Collins is just that good.

I really think that Collins could come in and be a great starter as a true freshman. He is a true all purpose, three down back. Kemp and Shaw will be great to spell him when he needs a breather.

I wonder if AW could convince Alex that what we have coming up is legit. My keyboard to God's ears?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  393
  • Days Won:  0

The Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale) wrote two or three days ago that Alex Collins committed to the University of Florida, The newspaper had an article about how good a lacrosse player he is also and then said he has already committed to UF.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

The Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale) wrote two or three days ago that Alex Collins committed to the University of Florida, The newspaper had an article about how good a lacrosse player he is also and then said he has already committed to UF.

This one says um

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-07-28/sports/fl-alex-collins-lacrosse-0718-20120728_1_top-lacrosse-football-field-high-school-football

• Content Count:  393
  • Days Won:  0

Whoops, sorry. Yes, I meant to write that Alex Collins reportedly committed to the University of Miami. Thanks 200bull for the correction.

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Whoops, sorry. Yes, I meant to write that Alex Collins reportedly committed to the University of Miami. Thanks 200bull for the correction.

Yes, he's been committed to UM since Jan. of this year. It's been reported that he is a soft verbal though and he's been looking around.

this would be a GREAT get.

From Blustein at the Miami Herald

After a season in which his team finished second in the district, advancing to the playoffs, Gatewood and the Paladins were no longer a surprise. Especially when you have one of the best running backs in the country in Alex Collins.

What Collins represents to this program is quality football player who happens to be one of the best teammates any program could have. Committed to attend the University of Miami, Collins has indeed been a centerpiece for this team over the past two years. So impressive is this 5-11, 195-pounder that Wisconsin and FSU continue to recruit him hard.

Last weekend at the University of South Florida Sling and Shoot event in Tampa, many had a first look at Collins, who was rumored not to be a great receiver. Some 50 other schools, including powers Armwood and Tampa Plant, found out differently. What they watched was a truly gifted back compete as part of a team and not an individual.

“First of all, the chance to play in a great event in Tampa really made our summer,†Gatewood said. “But it also showed all those people who had never watched Alex play, he was indeed an all-around back.â€

Gatewood admits that part of being old school is having zero tolerance for recruiting services or fan websites that make assessments without watching the player perform live, opting to view the same highlight film that millions have access to.

While Collins is certainly the player everyone flocks to see, he isn’t the only engine that moves this train. This is a team which has as many as six top-flight senior recruits — including athletic and very talented quarterback John Franklin.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/30/2916832/coach-doug-gatewood-and-his-south.html