• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2012 SG(4*) Melvin Johnson back on the market

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Had a story about him last year when USF nearly this highly rated shooter from the Bronx. It was shocking that Heath's old buddy Jim Larranaga got him instead.

Former St. Benedict’s Prep star and Bronx native Melvin Johnson has asked and received his release from his National Letter of Intent with Miami, The Post has learned.

One the nation’s top shooters, the 6-foot-2 Johnson parted ways with Miami, “for mutual reasons,†his mother Kizzy Gladden said.

“It was because of circumstances beyond our control,†she told The Post, declining to elaborate. He has been cleared by the NCAA’s Clearinghouse, Gladden said.

Johnson, she said, has two remaining official visits left, which he plans to take. In September, the former Rice standout picked Miami over Virginia Tech, Georgetown, South Florida, Dayton and the College of Charleston. A four-star recruit by Scout.com ranked as the No. 14 shooting guard in the Class of 2013, he led St. Benedict’s to a 35-3 season and it finished 15th in the USA Today national rankings.

johnson--300x300.JPG

An Rong Xu

Former St. Benedict's Prep star Melvin Johnson.was given his release by Miami on Wednesday.

“We want it [done] as soon as possible,†Gladden said. “Classes start in a month. I’m hoping the next week, week and a half. We don’t want to make a circus out of it.â€

“I didn’t want to go through the process again,†she added. “It’s rough. It’s hard for me and him. But I see everything happens for a reason.â€

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USF was great,†he said. “I also felt real welcomed by the coaching staff and players, and plus the area and facilities are beautiful.â€

Johnson said that after his visit last October.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

USF was great,†he said. “I also felt real welcomed by the coaching staff and players, and plus the area and facilities are beautiful.â€

He hasn't said much on twitter.

https://twitter.com/_mj32

He hasn't said much on twitter.

https://twitter.com/_mj32

Right now all we know is that the process of picking a new school has to happen very fast with classes starting next month. I feel that if USF wants him again, and I don't see why they wouldn't, there is a strong possibility that the 2nd go around will be the charm.

A lot of positive things have happened on and off the court for USF since Johnson last visited. The whole program has basically been upgraded.

If we get Johnson that probably pushes Poland further down the depth chart then he already is. I haven't heard anything about a fire being lit in his belly. You would think with Aleem, Brock, and Hawkins impressing the coaching staff Poland would be working harder to improve.

Also USF would no longer needs to recruit a scoring guard for the 2013 class and can fully concentrate it's efforts on getting a scoring forward(2013) and getting Henriquez, Tejada, and the others for the 2014 class.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

This would be absolutely huge. We still have one scholly right? Hope Stan's on this.

50275_111163542887_2850667_q.jpg

NBE Basketball Report ·

about an hour ago ·

• After his release from Miami, Melvin Johnson has very strong interest from USF, VCU, SJU, URI & Providence per Calvin Muhammad (@LIlightning)

Alright here we go, two reports are out this morning speculating on what USF and Johnson might do. One is from local USF writer and Blogger Greg Auman and the other is from more National sources in Hoopniks, Fox Sports, and NBE sports which specifically covers Big East basketball. Btw their source is Calvin Muhammed of the LI lightning AAU program.

On Twitter:

Greg Auman â€@gregauman

USF hoops was in original final choices for Miami recruit Melvin Johnson, but I don't expect Bulls to pursue him. Already deep at 2-guard.

NBE Sports â€@NBESports

After his release from Miami, Melvin Johnson has very strong interest from USF, VCU, SJU, URI & Providence per... http://fb.me/1OWsnapWb

Muhammed is probably right because there is a report from the VCU folks that the Rams are indeed heavily interested in Johnson.

Alright here we go, two reports are out this morning speculating on what USF and Johnson might do. One is from local USF writer and Blogger Greg Auman and the other is from more National sources in Hoopniks, Fox Sports, and NBE sports which specifically covers Big East basketball. Btw their source is Calvin Muhammed of the LI lightning AAU program.

On Twitter:

Greg Auman â€@gregauman

USF hoops was in original final choices for Miami recruit Melvin Johnson, but I don't expect Bulls to pursue him. Already deep at 2-guard.

NBE Sports â€@NBESports

After his release from Miami, Melvin Johnson has very strong interest from USF, VCU, SJU, URI & Providence per... http://fb.me/1OWsnapWb

Muhammed is probably right because there is a report from the VCU folks that the Rams are indeed heavily interested in Johnson.

Yes, I saw that tweet by Greg, but it was in response to a question last night from a fan, so I think his response was off the top of his head

On Twitter:

Greg Auman â€@gregauman

NBE Sports â€@NBESports

Yes, I saw that tweet by Greg, but it was in response to a question last night from a fan, so I think his response was off the top of his head

Yeah I should've explained it better as being his opinion.

Edited by Vega