• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

who is to blame for big east demise in football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I think it all goes back to the time when they refused to admit Penn State.

This destroyed the Big East... had they added Penn State then we have been able to keep an edge against any raids.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

For USF, I blame John Lott Brown the first pressidenr of USF. His hatred of sports put us so far behind in FB and is still leaving us scrambling.

John Allen was the first president of USF.

Opps, you are correct...guy hated sports.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

For USF, I blame John Lott Brown the first pressidenr of USF. His hatred of sports put us so far behind in FB and is still leaving us scrambling.

They both did.

They had to die, not just retire, before we actually got football finally approved. And who got it done? A woman!!!

They both did.

They had to die, not just retire, before we actually got football finally approved. And who got it done? A woman!!!

Thank you Betty Castor!

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

This is not true. I've been in the USF archives and seen his own letters. There were several factors as to why Allen choose not to start an athletics program.

First was the founding; he thought it necessary to establish the university and focus on the image of the school. He was meticulous in every decision, from the choosing of the school name and school colors to the design of the campus, making sure it had every chance to be a viable university. One of the key decisions he made was to change the campus plans, he removed the "athletics complex" in the NW corner of campus and put in a Medical School.

He also was facing a battle with the state about funding. USF was poorly funded when it was started and required major private contributions to complete the classrooms and dormitories. So the funding for an athletic department was not there.

Finally, Allen stated that he believed athletics and sports were necessary to create a well rounded person. Which is why he made sure that there were facilities for students to participate in sports, such as outdoor basketball courts and the Campus Rec Center (quite different than what it is today).

To say that Allen hated sports is inaccurate and does not consider the situation he was in.

I did read that he did not support the concept of USF football at any level. The money was an issue but this was also a philosophical issue regarding football.

This is not true. I've been in the USF archives and seen his own letters. There were several factors as to why Allen choose not to start an athletics program.

First was the founding; he thought it necessary to establish the university and focus on the image of the school. He was meticulous in every decision, from the choosing of the school name and school colors to the design of the campus, making sure it had every chance to be a viable university. One of the key decisions he made was to change the campus plans, he removed the "athletics complex" in the NW corner of campus and put in a Medical School.

He also was facing a battle with the state about funding. USF was poorly funded when it was started and required major private contributions to complete the classrooms and dormitories. So the funding for an athletic department was not there.

Finally, Allen stated that he believed athletics and sports were necessary to create a well rounded person. Which is why he made sure that there were facilities for students to participate in sports, such as outdoor basketball courts and the Campus Rec Center (quite different than what it is today).

To say that Allen hated sports is inaccurate and does not consider the situation he was in.

Meticulous?

All he did was copy the colors and logos of the University of San Fransisco.

Hardly what I would call meticulous.

Misguided would be a far more accurate term...

Meticulous?

All he did was copy the colors and logos of the University of San Fransisco.

Hardly what I would call meticulous.

Misguided would be a far more accurate term...

200px-USFseal1.png

200px-University_of_South_Florida_Seal.svg.png

Yep, Allen obviously copying U of San Fran. *rolls eyes*

You've obviously never done any research on the topic and would rather Monday morning QB his decisions 55 years later based on a false premise and your personal feelings.

No. This one.

2614.gif

No. This one.

2614.gif

Nevermind the fact that logo was designed in 2001.