• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Email I sent to the Orange Bowl and BE

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Below is excerpts of 2 emails I sent to the Orange Bowl and the Big East. I am not taking this lying down. I am going down swinging. Don't accept second tier status. I am asking everyone on this board to send at least one emal to either the bowl committees, the Big East, or school officials.

-----

Email to Orange Bowl:

ericpoms@orangebowl.org

Dear Mr. Poms:

Congratulations on the Orange Bowl's recent agreement with the ACC. If I may, I would like to offer a fan's perspective concerning the Orange Bowl's other remaining conference tie-in. I know that you are busy, so I will make this brief. I ask you to consider the following information.

If media reports are accurate, the Orange Bowl is considering signing an agreement with Notre Dame opposite the ACC. If true, I certainly understand that and believe that is obviously an outstanding choice. However, I ask you to consider signing an agreement with the Big East Conference as well. My personal opinion is that the Big East would be a worthy opponent. Maybe the Orange could sign a joint agreement with the Big East Champion and Notre Dame, where the Orange Bowl could choose from among the two on any particular year.

The reason I believe that the Big East Conference should be worthy of consideration, is that the statistics back up that the highest ranked Big East team in the final BCS standings has been the equal of the ACC's highest ranked team over about the past decade. I performed a study going back 9 years to compare the final BCS rankings of the new Big East teams (teams that will be future members of the Big East or "NBE") versus the final rankings of the ACC teams. The study showed that over the past 5 years the NBE teams have had an identical final BCS ranking as the ACC. Over the past 9 years, when the standings were expanded to 25 teams, it is virtually identical as well, with the slight edge to the ACC. The statistics bear out that the NBE is virtually equal in actual on the field performance to the ACC. In addition, the NBE's performance record in BCS bowls is better than the ACC. I know there are other factors that go into this decision, but I believe this warrants strong consideration. Here are the results of my analysis:

This is a comparison the new BE vs. the new ACC. The following rankings represent the highest ranked NBE team vs. ACC team in the final BCS standings.

Final Highest Ranked BCS Team

2011 BE - 7 (Boise State) ACC - 11 (Virgina Tech)

2010 BE - 10 (Boise State) ACC - 13 (Virginia Tech)

2009 BE - 3 (Cincinnati) ACC - 9 (Georgia Tech) NOTE: Boise State also finished #6

2008 BE - 9 (Boise State) ACC - 14 (Gergia Tech) NOTE: Cincinnati also finished #12

2007 BE - 21 (USF) ACC - 3 (Virginia Tech)

2006 BE - 6 (Louisville) ACC - 14 (Wake Forest) NOTE: Boise State also finished #8

2005 BE - 19 (Louisville) ACC - 8 (Miami)

2004 BE - 9 (Boise State) ACC - 8 (Virginia Tech) NOTE: Louisville also finished #10

2003 BE - 17 (Boise State) ACC - 7 (Florida State)

5 Year Average: BE: 10; ACC: 10 - Exact Tie

9 Year Average: BE: 11.22; ACC: 9.66 - Slight edge to ACC by less than 2 points.

In addition to the above, by signing with the Big East Conference, you would have opportunities to select in state schools USF and UCF, as well as recent outstanding performers Boise State, Louisville, Cincinnati. I ask you to take this under consideration as you decide on who to sign agreements with. I thank you for the opportunity to take a few moments of your time to share my views.

-----------

Email to Big East:

commissioner@bigeast.org

ncarparelli@bigeast.org

Dear Mr. Bailey,

First, thank you for the opportunity to email you with my views. I know that you are extremely busy working for the benefits of the Big East conference, but I hope that you would allow me a few moments to share a fans point of view with you. I have watched over the years the ups and downs of the Big East with great interest, and I look forward to the bright future that the Big East has in the college football landscape...as most fans are, I am extremely excited about the opportunities in the future 4 team playoff.

I will make this brief. The purpose of my writing, is to express concern over a few factors, which I feel the Big East may be able to improve upon. Specifically, I am concerned about 2 areas. One, is the negative press that the Big East receives from the national media and from other so called power conferences. I am sure you have heard within the past 2-3 weeks the so called "Big 5" conferences to include other commissioners belittle the Big East. To me, it is clear that they are trying to minimize the Big East and take away their seat at the table. I have heard comments from Chuck Neinas and others to this effect in media interviews. What concerns me is there seems to be a lack of response from the Big East, defending the Big East. In my view, the Big East needs to "forcefully" defend it's record and speak up to these negative (and false) stereo types about the Big East Conference at every opportunity. The Big East should go on the offensive at every turn, letting whoever will hear that the New Big East has every right to be a power conference, while pointing out the fact that the Big East measure very favorably with other conferences such as the ACC, whether that be in BCS bowl records, head to head competition, and top 25 finishes. In my view, the Big East needs a serious offensive public relations game plan that speaks loud and clear as the quality of Big East play. I hope that you will consider this view point. I am sure you have seen this article, but if not, I ask you to read this article from Andrea Adelson of ESPN about this fact. http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/i...ell-itself

And lastly, I am concerned about the Big East's position, as it relates to a bowl game for the Big East champion. As you are well aware, the Big East is not currently tied to any particular BCS bowl. Althouth the term "AQ" is being taken away, it seems clear to me that the term AQ was taken away in name only and replaced with "Contracted Bowl". The recent signing of the Orange Bowl for the ACC champ for 12 years, along with the Champions Bowl demonstrate this point. I am concerned that the Big East will no longer have a "Contract Bowl" (AKA: BCS Bowl) under the new plan which starts in 2014. All of the other so called "Big 5" (a new term as dubbed by the media, a term that I do not agree with by the way) have a new contracted bowl to play in starting in 2014, except for the Big East. I fear that if the Big East does not retain some type of contracted bowl, it will be relegated in perception to the level of C-USA and the MWC by the other conferences, media, players, recruits, and fans. This will harm the Big East's long term fortunes. So, sir, may I ask what the Big East is no doing to secure an "anchor" or "contract" bowl, formerly known as BCS, for it's champion.

Thank you so much for for taking to time to hear one fan's opinion. I know that you have a lot on your plate with upcoming TV negotiations, hiring of a new commisioner, and implementing these new procedures. Thank you for the opportunity to voice my views.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  505
  • Days Won:  0

Winning is great and all but if you can't put butts in the seats, and the BE has demonstrated that it can't, you don't stand a chance.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ycn-10270543

it's all about putting butt's in the seats. A lot of these bowls bank on locals wanting to go to the game what makes you think anyone in miami would want to go see an 8-4 Connecticut team play a 9-3 clemson team. The big east needs to start winning marquee games. when a 12-0 cincy team gets throttled in the bcs game it doesn't look good for the conference.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

good luck with your campaign.

personally I couldn't care less about bowl games. they are nothing but glorified scrimmages. we lose money going to them and the entire system is corrupt.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I think he makes a good point should USF or even UCF get the bid, both schools would fill seats based on local fan base and proximity of the Orange Bowl. Appreciate the emails.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Our emails are getting through. Some of us on the Big East board have been emailing the BE and they definitely are reading them.