• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

is the luster of usf's football program gone

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

with the big east being demoted

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

no

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

no, but it has to compete with other shiny objects in the athletic department (basketball, soccer, softball)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

We had luster?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

what have we done? No championships, just a few bowl victories.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

We had luster?

Yep, back when we beat Kentucky Wesleyan 80-3

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  185
  • Days Won:  0

I know this isn't exactly the topic but it was the closest one I could find. I went back and watched L.Lamar's high school highlight film and was noticing all of his plays were when they were running a draw play. Which is logical considering his attributes and was wondering if they will utilize that this year with him in the backfield. I can't believe we have had him out at WR all these yrs and not running him on 3rd downs and making the D stay home b/c he could take it to the house anytime, which then would allow the WR's and especially the QB more space to throw the ball.

When we were throwing those screens to him they take way to much time to develop and match him up against a similar athlete in a CB. But when you run a draw you have him running behind a huge OL and he can see whats coming at him instead of hoping not to get his neck broken! I think we'll have the lightning next yr at RB the only question is if D Murray is the thunder? Then we obviously have the X factor in BJ Daniels, which every college program lives and dies by their QB play.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I'm pretty sure LL was a RB his Freshman year. If you look at the uf game, we used him quite effectively. He's too talented to only use on 3rd down. We have to find a way to get him ob the edge against a safety or LB.

You probably are right I just remember his returns and getting blown up trying to catch a screen pass. You obviously can play RB and catch a screen pass but my point was more so towards the fact that in High school he was effective running a draw. Draws are usually only effective on second and long or third and more than a couple yards to gain. That's why I was saying to use him as a 3rd down back when he was younger but if he can be an everydown back now than that would be even better since it would make things that much more unpredictable. I know he didn't have the weight to be that previously but maybe he has gained some weight since then. Watch his film and you'll see what I'm talking about, he has amazing lateral movement which allows him the ability to hide behind the OL and make quick cuts to escape the initial DL, then when he sees a gap he hits it with his speed and thats when the arm tackling comes into play and he can break those. Maybe not like in high school but he will at least be out in the open where he needs to be. The other advantage is the play action we could run w/ BJ as either a bootleg or let him roll out and make a decision to either tuck it and run or through to the open WR. Just my observation its a lot easier said than done.

My other point was just b/c he's a small back doesn't mean he can't run in between the tackles. He has great vision, quickness, top end speed and lateral movement which can be devastating in between the tackles if you make it past the first line of defense. The center of the field is full of the slowest players on that side of the ball, so why try to out run them laterally, when you can run by them more effectively. That's typically where a RB will run when a draw is called since the WR's are spread out and the middle of the field is open with usually only a spy(MLB) on the QB, so he has to commit one way or another and if BJ can make a great fake then its even more effective. It's basically like running a PR but having the wedge set and you find the opening, which he has proven he can do from the reverses and kick returns he has ran previously. Just my thoughts after seeing how he was utilized effectively in high school, which I know is not BCS D-1 but in Florida at the 5A level it basically is considering most of those players(teams that are good)eventually went on to D-1 schools.