• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How much do you think each USF student pays for varsity athletics?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I was surprised at the students not knowing.

As for opting out, they have choices BEFORE choosing a school.

The athletics fees are clearly laid out on the summary of charges every semester. I would hope that a student looks at that before sending in a check.

So we are charging every student for football season tickets with their tuition. hmmm. I am not sure how I feel about this. Right now it is ncesessary to continue growing the program, but eventually we need to increase our footprint in the alumni season ticket count. Its gorwing, its just not fast enough to keep up with the demands. I see the fees decreasing in the near future, maye even after the new TV contract?

No. Students are being charged for athletics season tickets. They can attend any game they want for 14.15 per credit hour. The fee also covers the rec center (equipment, maintenance, staffing, etc)

I didn't say anything about notifying students. I said they should have a choice of whether or not they want to pay them.

a state public universities mission isn't to run a successful athletic department. it's to educate . students tuition should go towards that goal. if they want to see a ballgame then they can pay for it like they do at UF.

No one forces a student to go to USF

They CHOOSE to go.

This is (or shoud be) after looking at what the University has to offer academically, athletically, socially, etc, and what they want to pay for it.

If they choose to go to USF, then they choose to pay the associated fees that go along with it.

USF is a state funded university.

tuition dollars should be spent in the classroom.

that goes for primary schools as well.

way too mush is spent on administration, fancy student centers, athletics, etc.

their mission is to educate state students at a reasonable cost.

just wait until the college loan bubble bursts. state colleges will have to cut spending even further.

No one would go to the school. Kids today want amenities.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's your responsibility to know what you're paying. Kind of like the South Park episode "HumancentiPad", for those of you who understand.

I don't use the rec center on campus, so does that mean I shouldn't have to pay for it?

Every university in the country has students pay athletic fees, we're not different.

It's your decision whether you take advantage of it or not.

agreed. i pay auto insurance but have never had a claim. I dont live on the water, but have high insurance costs to help fund the state insurance catastrophy fund. I pay taxes including school taxes, but my kids dont go to public schools.

If our legislature was funding higher education, instead of subsidizing their real estate holdings and giving themselves tax breaks for their developments we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Exactly. JD Alexander is causing our fine state to pay $40M a year for a pet project of his for his buddies and his holdings in Polk County. That would cover a lot of eductational expenses at the schools mentioned in the article.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

an education in florida is so affordable we should increase the athletics fee by 20%

stop crying

yeah we need to build football factories in this state. that will make us competitive economically....

anyone notice that the state universities with the highest football coaches salaries are some of the poorest states when it comes to educating their citizens.

Louisianna, alabama, miss

Oh and just so you know. Louisianna(sic) and Alabama both rank in the top 26 states in the Union in size of economy. Guess paying coaches a lot of money hasn't siphoned off economic opportunity quite as bad as your non-supported statements claim.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2011-06-20-state-gdp-growth_n.htm

Archived