• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: USF's Hine seeks positive close to stellar college career

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

USF's Hine seeks positive close to stellar college career

By Adam Adkins

Published: December 01, 2011

Updated: December 01, 2011 - 7:04 AM

Chaz Hine will walk onto the turf at Raymond James Stadium tonight for the final time as a member of the University of South Florida football team.

"It's going to be powerful," the Bulls senior center said.

The same can be said of the résumé Hine constructed during his time at USF. In his five years at the school, Hine has thrived both on and off the field, personifying the term student-athlete.

"I've been around some great student-athletes, but Chaz is special," Bulls coach Skip Holtz said. "There aren't many that have started as many games and made the contribution he has on the field and also done what he's done academically, and it's a real testament to him."

A former walk-on from Newsome High, Hine used hard work to not only earn a scholarship but also a place as a starter on the offensive line for the past three seasons. He spent the previous two years at guard before moving this season to center, where he hasn't missed a beat while providing stability in the middle of what has arguably been the most consistent position group on the field in 2011.

"We knew the leadership, the intangible things would probably be there for him. That's one of the reasons we wanted to make the move," offensive coordinator Todd Fitch said. "Really, in talking to a lot of the guys who were here before us and last year in my experience with him, he really played the best football of his career here. That was good to see. Sometimes you make those moves and they don't pan out quite as positive, but it was a win-win for us and it was a win-win for him."

As impressive as Hine has been on the field, though, his accomplishments in the classroom might even be better. He completed his undergraduate work for a bachelor's degree in management in the spring, and he's been working this fall toward an MBA. He's carried a 3.86 GPA, made the Dean's List four times, and earlier this year was voted "Most Remarkable" in USF's College of Business.

But one of Hine's biggest honors, a combination of his on and off field work, came in October. He was named a National Football Foundation National Scholar Athlete, becoming the first player in USF program history to earn the honor. He'll be in New York on Tuesday for the 54th annual NFF awards dinner as one of 16 finalists for the 22nd William V. Campbell Trophy, which will be presented to the nation's top student-athlete.

"I've been able to do a lot of things that a lot of people didn't think I'd be able to do, and I've been able to accomplish a lot for myself, and I'm proud of that," Hine said. "I'm thankful and blessed to have had those opportunities and those successes, so I don't have too much to regret from college, from academics to football, from social life or anything."

But Hine would love nothing more than to be able to put a positive ending on this chapter in his life.

The Bulls, who have lost six of their past seven games after a 4-0 start, need a win tonight against the visiting West Virginia Mountaineers to get bowl eligible. It's the mission of Hine and the rest of the 17-member senior class, who will be honored during a pregame ceremony, to lead the charge and help the Bulls avoid their first losing season since 2004 and extend their postseason streak to seven.

"In the beginning, maybe we were taking some wins for granted. It's been a long time and inconsistent between them, and I want that feeling back, I want that emotion back," Hine said.

"I just want to end on a positive note. This is going to be a game I'll be remembering for the rest of my life, so I want that good feeling."

Link

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

He and all of our seniors deserve a well coached game tonight. Win or lose, preferrably win, I would like to see a well played game tonight. I hope the team can pull it together to end the regular season on a high note, for the seniors, for the school, for the fans, and for the team!

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

That would be AWESOME if Hine was to win the William V. Campbell trophy.

Archived