• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wait a second...C-USA and MWC Merger - 22 teams?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  26
  • Days Won:  0

Forget about Boise and AFA

If the BE still grabs the top of CUSA it is a much better league than the MWC

Is it good enough for AQ.  Maybe, but really it seems like the last hope

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

The thing to realize is that we still have time to prove our AQ status.  Word is that we basically have the AQ bid through 2015 if the BE stays together, so that gives us four more seasons to prove our status and we also would benefit from some rankings at the end of the season for anyone who joins before the end of the year. 

The two that are getting invites that have the most impact are Boise State and Houston.  I think Houston has a chance to run the table and go undefeated.  They are currently ranked and winning out will get them in the top 25 of the BCS at the end of the season.  I think we can re-enter.  I think West Virginia will finish strong.  So that's four potential top-25 teams to close the season with potential for growth.

The service academies only have so much of a ceiling in the league because of their nature, but all other invites have great upside.  I'm not one that wants to see UCF be too successful, but I do believe there's plenty of talent in this state to go around.  And Texas is brimming with talent too.  Houston and SMU have a history in football and were in the old SWC, a conference that would be BCS if it were still around.  And we all know what Boise State has done. 

The key is ensuring conference stability for at least five years.  That will get all the teams that have been offered aboard.  Annual access to the BCS increases revenue.  A championship game increases revenue.  But the conference will need to work to improve the national image of itself while the programs work to put out programs that can compete with anyone. 

That is the key.  We need to win out of conference games, especially against other BCS conferences.  We've done that and we've done it MOST against the ACC, a conference who I still believe we will be better than long term in all sports.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Let's assume we keep our AQ status regardless who we take (either due to an extension to prove ourselves, law suit, etc)... Do we want to still pursue Boise, AFA as football only or stay more regional?

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I don't think our goal is to be better than MWC.  Our goal is to be the best conference possible, better than the ACC at least.

I'll take Boise and Air Force, thank you.

Archived