• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why does HOT Band suck this year?!?!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  0

Have you ever been to an away game?!

I've been to MANY...and what i say IS true very. 

Miami is mic'd...yeah...they're small.  But thats not the only reason schools mic bands.  Sometimes...its right to do.

Boston College does it, UConn does it, Rutgers does it, hell...Louisville mic's parts of its pregame so the entire stadium can hear it...and I believe they mic their band now too. (haven't been to a game there in 6 years) Tell me if you can HEAR the USF Trumpet Sections "Call of the Bulls" before pregame starts?  YOU CAN'T!!! Theres too much WHITE NOISE IN THE STADIUM.

I'm telling you right now...Mic'ing the band IS the answer. 

Can the kids in the band play louder?  Sure...

But before you bring (big MEAC school bands into this) let me also tell you something about FAMU...they'll come in here with about 350-450 kids and they ALL blast their asses off and beat drumheads so hard, that they BREAK!!!...VERY unmusical.  If THATS the kind of band you want...then so be it.

Sure FAMU is fun, and they have won the Sudler...but thats not what USF is.  The bands USF should strive to emulate the likes of Texas Tech, or LSU. 

GO BULLS!!!

8va

Been around for quite awhile, and I've seen just about all the major bands in the country.  I stand by my statement.  Those that can't cut it use mics. 

I've been in a sold out Rose Bowl with USC's Trojan marching band and they cut through clear as day. 

I've heard Alabama's marching band from the parking lot.

FSU throws down in the stands.  Tell their fans that you can't hear the war chant and they need to be mic'd.  See how many laugh at you.

Michigan has a fantastic drumline that plays so tight it cuts through the loudest roar.

I could go on and on.  In fact I think I will.  Only this time, I'll hit home.

I saw the band when YOU were in it.  You guys had some fantastic trumpets that just killed it.  I heard you guys loud and clear from across the stadium.

When I saw the Herd of Thunder in 2005 at the UCF game I was seriously impressed.  You guys were putting out more volume than the MK's, which know how to throw down from time to time.

I'm sorry to say that this band is not the same.  Mic'ing the band is not the solution.  You're just going to amplify the problems.

A magnified turd is still a turd.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,143
  • Days Won:  39

Total average joe's opinion here but I did notice the band not really playing Saturday and the energy in the stadium was non-existent.  I am hoping this is because it was Ball State, but it was also the home opener.  I am not sure how both of those are related, but it seemed pretty dead in the stadium.  Hopefully this increases?

Oh well, they still have the monster truck announcer embarrassingly saying "ooh that's hot" so I figure I need to just stop paying attention to these things.

• Content Count:  2,726

Been around for quite awhile, and I've seen just about all the major bands in the country.  I stand by my statement.  Those that can't cut it use mics. 

I've been in a sold out Rose Bowl with USC's Trojan marching band and they cut through clear as day. 

I've worked with Dr. Bartner from USC before...good guy.  Knows how to run a band...but he's a bit crazy.  lol But ideal for getting EXACTLY what he wants from his bands.  

I will say that SEC stadiums are perfect for College marching bands...also they are usually 400 or more members.  These are also bands with serious traditions and history.  People WANT to do them cause they are the center of the party.  You're not going to get kids to join a band that has no history OR tradition.  THIS and only this are the reasons I think HOT should be mic'd.  Is USF a big enough school to get 400+ members in the marching band?  YES.  Will they?  Well no.  Why?  They only have 350 uniforms, they don't have consistent direction(except mary dooley, shes awesome! love you mary!), and they don't have the history or tradition to draw kids in that will give 100% all the time.  You have to BELIEVE in the cause and SELL IT.  And no USF director i've ever known has ever done this...except in small parts Dr. Robinson...but even he faded.  

The day USF gets like an SEC band is the day the students KNOW the cheers and band knows them too...so much so that they're DYING to play them after a first down and the student section is DYING to come up with DANCES or choreography to certain songs the band ALWAYS plays.  It take time...and it also takes KNOWING IT...and without mic'ing, I think it'll be harder for anyone to really know them.  But I digress...the FIRST problem i stated in this post is the band wasn't even PLAYING YESTERDAY...not about mic'ing.  lol  Off tangent.  :P

FSU throws down in the stands.  Tell their fans that you can't hear the war chant and they need to be mic'd.  See how many laugh at you.

Yeah...you're right.  I've been to my fair share of FSU games and have seen the chiefs rehearse.  You know what else?  Aside from a very rich history/tradition, the Chiefs really don't play much else in the stands during the game.  lol So when the drums start...everyone KNOWS.  USF not only have "The  Bull/#8", there are multiple others that are crowd participation...but not many know them...and in regards to yesterday, not many know when they are supposed to cheer! <---main bullet point

Michigan has a fantastic drumline that plays so tight it cuts through the loudest roar.

They're ok...BigTen is very regimented and tight usually...but all in all very basic if you ask me.  

Look again to FSU or UGA if you wanna talk drumlines.

I saw the band when YOU were in it.  You guys had some fantastic trumpets that just killed it.  I heard you guys loud and clear from across the stadium.

I'm sorry to say that this band is not the same.  Mic'ing the band is not the solution.  You're just going to amplify the problems.

I appreciate your kind words.  Started with USF's band in 2002 and at that point the trumpet section was a point of pride.  We carried that for some time as well..."Call of the Bulls" used to only be 4 people.  But to be honest...being older now and knowing what it takes to be efficient in marching music...its not THAT much fun to blast your ass off.  Mic the band for a couple seasons...let the fans hear the cheers.  Then when everyone knows it, they can un-mic the band.  Because the fans will just KNOW its coming.  

Agreed...but the band sounds decent.  They just don't know when to play...its direction.  

Honestly...they do sound ok.  Stood next to them last night after the game.  

When I saw the Herd of Thunder in 2005 at the UCF game I was seriously impressed.  You guys were putting out more volume than the MK's, which know how to throw down from time to time.

And to correct something...I wasn't in the band in 2005 against UCif...those was some buddies of mine though.  The continuation of some great trumpet years.  :)  Ever since Ron(the director of UCif's band AND graduate of the USF School of Music), the MK's have not been that great...even in the past few years, the MK's have been in a steady downfall.  Not the band they used to be in the early 2000's.  I used to work with Ron at Disney...and always pondered the idea of him being the director of HOT.  He was honest with me about it and told me he really wanted the job, but that USF's Music administration would never give the job to someone without a doctorate.  AND he also said that USF didn't pay enough.  He would of been great for HOT...even told me about things he would change about the pregame and ways to get the student body more involved with the cheers, etc.  Ron is now at UT(san antonio) starting up the band there.  :'( He could be at USF.

GO BULLS!!!

8va

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I didn't realize that people were this passionate about the band

The band is a MAJOR part of the Collegiate Football experience...and should be treated as such.

GO BULLS!!!

8va

Agreed

• Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

I've worked with Dr. Bartner from USC before...good guy.  Knows how to run a band...but he's a bit crazy.  lol But ideal for getting EXACTLY what he wants from his bands.  

I will say that SEC stadiums are perfect for College marching bands...also they are usually 400 or more members.  These are also bands with serious traditions and history.  People WANT to do them cause they are the center of the party.  You're not going to get kids to join a band that has no history OR tradition.  THIS and only this are the reasons I think HOT should be mic'd.  Is USF a big enough school to get 400+ members in the marching band?  YES.  Will they?  Well no.  Why?  They only have 350 uniforms, they don't have consistent direction(except mary dooley, shes awesome! love you mary!), and they don't have the history or tradition to draw kids in that will give 100% all the time.  You have to BELIEVE in the cause and SELL IT.  And no USF director i've ever known has ever done this...except in small parts Dr. Robinson...but even he faded.  

The day USF gets like an SEC band is the day the students KNOW the cheers and band knows them too...so much so that they're DYING to play them after a first down and the student section is DYING to come up with DANCES or choreography to certain songs the band ALWAYS plays.  It take time...and it also takes KNOWING IT...and without mic'ing, I think it'll be harder for anyone to really know them.  But I digress...the FIRST problem i stated in this post is the band wasn't even PLAYING YESTERDAY...not about mic'ing.  lol  Off tangent.  :P

Yeah...you're right.  I've been to my fair share of FSU games and have seen the chiefs rehearse.  You know what else?  Aside from a very rich history/tradition, the Chiefs really don't play much else in the stands during the game.  lol So when the drums start...everyone KNOWS.  USF not only have "The  Bull/#8", there are multiple others that are crowd participation...but not many know them...and in regards to yesterday, not many know when they are supposed to cheer! <---main bullet point

They're ok...BigTen is very regimented and tight usually...but all in all very basic if you ask me.  

Look again to FSU or UGA if you wanna talk drumlines.

I appreciate your kind words.  Started with USF's band in 2002 and at that point the trumpet section was a point of pride.  We carried that for some time as well..."Call of the Bulls" used to only be 4 people.  But to be honest...being older now and knowing what it takes to be efficient in marching music...its not THAT much fun to blast your ass off.  Mic the band for a couple seasons...let the fans hear the cheers.  Then when everyone knows it, they can un-mic the band.  Because the fans will just KNOW its coming.  

Agreed...but the band sounds decent.  They just don't know when to play...its direction.  

Honestly...they do sound ok.  Stood next to them last night after the game.  

And to correct something...I wasn't in the band in 2005 against UCif...those was some buddies of mine though.  The continuation of some great trumpet years.  :)  Ever since Ron(the director of UCif's band AND graduate of the USF School of Music), the MK's have not been that great...even in the past few years, the MK's have been in a steady downfall.  Not the band they used to be in the early 2000's.  I used to work with Ron at Disney...and always pondered the idea of him being the director of HOT.  He was honest with me about it and told me he really wanted the job, but that USF's Music administration would never give the job to someone without a doctorate.  AND he also said that USF didn't pay enough.  He would of been great for HOT...even told me about things he would change about the pregame and ways to get the student body more involved with the cheers, etc.  Ron is now at UT(san antonio) starting up the band there.  :'( He could be at USF.

GO BULLS!!!

8va

Sid was awesome...  The band may have been smaller, but we started traditions and played hard!  But god do I hate band threads.

Haha...Sid was awesome.  He recruited me to come to USF.  Band threads need to happen! 

R.I.P.  Dr. Sidney Haton (USF's first director of the Herd of Thunder)

GO BULLS!!!

8va

Guest goldenbrahman3

HOT Band at USF is not able to play whenever they feel like it and it is not in the hands of the director or the assistants to determine what or when to play. The people in the press box make the decisions of when to play. If they tell the band to play then the band can. However in a game against Ball State with a no huddle offense, opportunities are limited because the band has to stop playing at a certain time before the ball is hiked. I am fairly sure that a penalty can be given to the team if the band is playing after the hike. Before everyone starts flaming on the band they need to understand that most of the playing is out of their control.

• Content Count:  6

HOT Band at USF is not able to play whenever they feel like it and it is not in the hands of the director or the assistants to determine what or when to play. The people in the press box make the decisions of when to play. If they tell the band to play then the band can. However in a game against Ball State with a no huddle offense, opportunities are limited because the band has to stop playing at a certain time before the ball is hiked. I am fairly sure that a penalty can be given to the team if the band is playing after the hike. Before everyone starts flaming on the band they need to understand that most of the playing is out of their control.

Wrong.

I've been on those headsets and know exactly how it works.  1st, 2nd, 3rd down cheers and defense songs etc, are ALL up to the band.  The headsets are there to coordinate when the band can play on kick offs and timeouts.  THAT IS IT.  You receive a paper with the play-by-play schedule for the entire game when you arrive at the stadium.  It will say stuff like:

12:00 - Media time out/Band plays

8:00 - Chik-fil-a / Band on standby

Rotate team timeouts between house music/band music

During one of these time outs, there will be a count off where they let you know the commercial is about to end and the band can come in and play for the remainder of the time out.

That's how it works.  If the band isn't ready, they miss their chance to play, but that's all on the director and drum majors to make sure they have a song ready to go.

Again, the band has free reign to play in between downs.  You are right though that they have to stop playing before the ball is hiked.  The director and drum majors were gun shy last week and didn't feel they could get a song off in between downs.  They were wrong.

Wrong.

I've been on those headsets and know exactly how it works.  1st, 2nd, 3rd down cheers and defense songs etc, are ALL up to the band.  The headsets are there to coordinate when the band can play on kick offs and timeouts.  THAT IS IT.  You receive a paper with the play-by-play schedule for the entire game when you arrive at the stadium.  It will say stuff like:

12:00 - Media time out/Band plays

8:00 - Chik-fil-a / Band on standby

Rotate team timeouts between house music/band music

During one of these time outs, there will be a count off where they let you know the commercial is about to end and the band can come in and play for the remainder of the time out.

That's how it works.  If the band isn't ready, they miss their chance to play, but that's all on the director and drum majors to make sure they have a song ready to go.

Again, the band has free reign to play in between downs.  You are right though that they have to stop playing before the ball is hiked.  The director and drum majors were gun shy last week and didn't feel they could get a song off in between downs.  They were wrong.

Yes...yes they were.  VERY gun-shy indeed. 

I hope they take care of it.  We'll see next week.

Go BULLS!!!

8va

Archived