• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Re: USF Football still young? (An idiot Miami fan's perspective)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

Hurrican Munity,

Ya you guys could use that for sure. Def. will bring a big spark back to your program in terms of facilities.  I do have to say that while our yearly game isn't a rivalry game and I know it won't be especially with the series not being renewed, 25,000 is still pretty bad.  You guys do have more of a national auidence then a local one so I can see that.  I think we can continue to say we are a new program for a few more years.  I mean come on 13 years is really not long compared to everyone else. Yet, I do think it's not an option for an excuse when we lose now, we are at a BCS level and now have the facilities and coach needed to reach the goal we all want.  Munity, when do they expect to build that facility??

Bullslax, while I do enjoy punching some Bulls' fans egos in the nuts, I also have respect for what USF has accomplished, particularly in a short period.  I do hope that we can continue to schedule a pair of games every 8-10 years.

I agree with you 100%, 25,000 is still a poor showing no matter how we legitimately explain it.  I was there in the Orange Bowl in the 1980s when we set a modern day record for lowest attendance to watch a #1 team play (I believe we were playing the Southern Illinois Salukis, and the last #1 team to have such a poor showing was ARMY, back in the 1940s).

I have seen the PLANS that Dade County has to extend the MetroRail to Calder Racetrack, so that should help.

The Athletic Center improvements will be built in the next year or two, from what I have heard.  Our target for fundraising is between 13 and 14 million, and we got 5 from the Schwartz family pledge alone.  I looked at the naming rights inventory and we are about 75-80 percent sold out.  I know that Edgerrin James has bought one of the rooms, and then there was  the million that Dwayne and Dany gave.

From talking to a friend of mine who was an Architecture grad and is still very involved with the school, the first priority on that side of campus is the new Student Union (we have already torn down the old Rathskeller and are currently building).  After that, we should be clear to build out on the Hecht/Schwartz athletic facility, as Coral Gables is tightly regulating all the construction traffic on that side of campus due to all the whiny Coral Gables residents who live nearby.

Here is my overall prediction about what is going to happen.  If the NFL has any delay to the season, UM would benefit greatly in the short term for attendance.  Our new AD needs to continue pushing the Joe Robbie Stadium admin for accomodations to make our gamedays more "collegiate".  Then, for a while, the new Marlins Stadium is going to be the new kid on the block, I've seen pictures and it is very impressive.  However, the scumbag owner will continue to be frugal and run the Marlins into the ground, so once the Marlins attendance falters, we need to position ourselves as the local "family-friendly" option (certain parts of the stadium, obviously).  If Golden follows through on his SoFla push (have you SEEN the breakdown on our 22 verbals?!), then I think we need to reinforce his efforts with a local focus on youth.  We need to reset ourselves as the DOMINANT favorite for SoFla fans before FIU and FAU can gain much traction.  If we can do these things, I can definitely see a "normal" home attendance of 50K and occasional sellouts for the big games.

Anyhow, just remember - the "poor facilities" angle...that can be fixed.  And for UM, it will be moot soon.  We now have our own locker room in Joe Robbie, we will have a new one at the Schwartz, and all of the academic and training areas will be completely new.  If we could just lock down a practice bubble, that would complete the efforts, but I don't think we have the land for it (right now).  Maybe we can add to our land holdings in South Miami (shhhh, that's a poorly kept secret) and do something that is open to the community for all the times during the year when we are not using it.  Those kids in South Miami would really benefit from having a facility like that.

And I hope that once our yearly games are over, we can set up another home-and-home for the end of this decade.  Remember, I have respect for the BE, it's the West Virginia and Pitt fans who keep inventing the rumors that the ACC will be expanding to 16 soon.

• Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

5 star players look at the second rate training facilities and a stadium that does not fill up (25,000 at USF game) and think why should I go to this school when I can go to Florida, Florida State, or Auburn where the stadium fills up and the facilities are first class. 

The downfall of Miami

While I don't agree with the OP coming on here to trash USF, it is also true that Rizman knows nothing about UM and its facilities or recruiting pitches.

First, we've never really "filled up" our stadium, except for big games (maybe that 25,000 for the USF game is a good hint that USF will never be UM's rival).  It's true, some recruits are impressed by the ego blow job that comes from a "filled up" stadium.  Other recruits are simply impressed by UM's 30 year track record of sending players to the NFL.  Miami doesn't need to impress every recruit, just the 20-25 who want to be Hurricanes.

Second, Miami's "facilities" have always been judged primarily by the Orange Bowl.  In case you haven't heard, we don't play there anymore.  As for the "second rate training facilities", now that Coral Gables has lifted its nearly decade long ban on approving new building on Miami's campus, we are just about to build this:

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/hurricaneclub/fb-training-project-overview.html

So while I appreciate your concerns, you don't have to worry about Miami suffering in the recruiting battles because of our horrible facilities.  We seem to be doing just fine.

I am just saying what they said on the radio. Based on the link, I think the athletic department knew it and had to get a project together to rebuild the facilities.  Looks top notch.    I lived in Coral Gables for a year and you were pretty locked in on land, good news for you now being able to expand.    Good luck winning the National Championship this year. 

• Content Count:  71

I always find it funny how people who have heard our facilities are "old and out dated" try to use this as fuel to belittle our program, but it just shows how quickly people buy into propaganda and have no real knowledge at all.'

I'll give you some of the buildings that house the athletic facilities themselves may be old, even historic, but the equipment and interiors have been renovated many many times, and even recently. In fact, if you actually went there yourself, or saw the pictures, you'd be shocked at what's inside our "old and outdated" buildings.

If you havent heard, b/c of the NFL lockout, we've had a ton of NFL players training in our "old and outdated" facilities the last month and a half. Out of the entire country they chose to come to UM to train during the offseason.

Anyone who saws our facilities are poor is an ignorant idiot.

• Content Count:  71

http://blog.allcanes.com/2006/11/****-facilities.html

That's not even the most recent renovation either. There's a lot of better photos but I couldnt quickly find them. Either way, you people are dumb.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Either way, you people are dumb.

Says the Miami fan posting on a USF message board. Lol, ok.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

That's not even the most recent renovation either.

You're right.  That's from 2006...

5 star players look at the second rate training facilities and a stadium that does not fill up (25,000 at USF game) and think why should I go to this school when I can go to Florida, Florida State, or Auburn where the stadium fills up and the facilities are first class. 

The downfall of Miami

While I don't agree with the OP coming on here to trash USF, it is also true that Rizman knows nothing about UM and its facilities or recruiting pitches.

First, we've never really "filled up" our stadium, except for big games (maybe that 25,000 for the USF game is a good hint that USF will never be UM's rival).  It's true, some recruits are impressed by the ego blow job that comes from a "filled up" stadium.  Other recruits are simply impressed by UM's 30 year track record of sending players to the NFL.  Miami doesn't need to impress every recruit, just the 20-25 who want to be Hurricanes.

Second, Miami's "facilities" have always been judged primarily by the Orange Bowl.  In case you haven't heard, we don't play there anymore.  As for the "second rate training facilities", now that Coral Gables has lifted its nearly decade long ban on approving new building on Miami's campus, we are just about to build this:

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/hurricaneclub/fb-training-project-overview.html

So while I appreciate your concerns, you don't have to worry about Miami suffering in the recruiting battles because of our horrible facilities.  We seem to be doing just fine.

I am just saying what they said on the radio. Based on the link, I think the athletic department knew it and had to get a project together to rebuild the facilities.  Looks top notch.     I lived in Coral Gables for a year and you were pretty locked in on land, good news for you now being able to expand.    Good luck winning the National Championship this year. 

I hear ya, Rizman.  I just alternate between finding it amusing or annoying how much people believe some outdated ideas and can't conceive of how the situation may change.

I don't take anything for gratnted, not even the facilities that UCF and FAU are building.  Everyone is a threat, you can't get complacent, you always need to keep improving.

That's not even the most recent renovation either. There's a lot of better photos but I couldnt quickly find them. Either way, you people are dumb.

You just called Hurricane Mutiny dumb, he was the one that posted that link, but I guess that was to difficult to figure out. 

Hurricane Mutiny, I agree you need to keep improving because two other schools in Florida are trying to make your program irrelevant.  You guys better win the National Championship next two years.

You just called Hurricane Mutiny dumb, he was the one that posted that link, but I guess that was to difficult to figure out. 

Hurricane Mutiny, I agree you need to keep improving because two other schools in Florida are trying to make your program irrelevant.  You guys better win the National Championship next two years.

Ha!  I don't look at it so fatalistically.

Trust me when I tell you this:  the recruits who went to our summer camps were INCREDIBLY impressed by the NFL player alums that we had out there.

You can look at it however you'd like.  Facilities are a lot of fun to have.  But bigger than anything, (most of) these kids are not looking for who has the cutest uniforms or the shiniest buildings, but they are looking to be the next ones to play in the NFL.  And putting all of our alums out there on the field is a powerful tool to get the kids to try to live vicariously.

Do you want to play in the NFL?  Well then do what these guys did.

No other school can EVER make our 5 titles irrelevant until they win 5 titles and erase our advantage.  And quite frankly, no matter how many schools have hired the "hot coach" or improved facilities or redesigned their uniforms...only a few have ever made it to the top.

So while I've always had respect for what USF has done thus far, that's why I always laugh at the talk that some "momentum" or whatever has suddenly thrust USF, UCF, FAU, etc. ahead of UM for "relevance".

Winning is relevant.  Producing NFL players is relevant.  We still have massive advantages in those areas that a new building cannot take away.  That's not arrogance, that's just reality (in my opinion, though I'm sure some of you would still call it arrogance).

Frankly, I don't care if we get every top-rated recruit.  I want 20-25 RIGHT recruits each year, the guys who don't choose a school because they have over 100 uniform combinations.  I want a kid who doesn't give a **** if the stadium is sold out, since if he's REALLY good, he will be drafted by the worst team in the NFL and potentially play before non-sellout crowds.  I want kids who both embrace the past and are motivated to create accomplishments of their own.

Yes, USF and UCF and FAU have been impressive in what they have done.  We need to look over our shoulder and see what is coming, and then we need to sprint faster.  But it's not wrong to also have confidence, particularly in the number of past races we have won.

Like I said, I disagree with the original poster's comments towards USF.  I don't think you guys are dumb, I just don't think you guys realize how hard this is to play at the top-top level. 

But, hey, let's play a couple of times per decade and continue these conversations.

Ha!  I don't look at it so fatalistically.

Trust me when I tell you this:  the recruits who went to our summer camps were INCREDIBLY impressed by the NFL player alums that we had out there.

You can look at it however you'd like.  Facilities are a lot of fun to have.  But bigger than anything, (most of) these kids are not looking for who has the cutest uniforms or the shiniest buildings, but they are looking to be the next ones to play in the NFL.  And putting all of our alums out there on the field is a powerful tool to get the kids to try to live vicariously.

Do you want to play in the NFL?  Well then do what these guys did.

No other school can EVER make our 5 titles irrelevant until they win 5 titles and erase our advantage.  And quite frankly, no matter how many schools have hired the "hot coach" or improved facilities or redesigned their uniforms...only a few have ever made it to the top.

So while I've always had respect for what USF has done thus far, that's why I always laugh at the talk that some "momentum" or whatever has suddenly thrust USF, UCF, FAU, etc. ahead of UM for "relevance".

Winning is relevant.  Producing NFL players is relevant.  We still have massive advantages in those areas that a new building cannot take away.  That's not arrogance, that's just reality (in my opinion, though I'm sure some of you would still call it arrogance).

Frankly, I don't care if we get every top-rated recruit.  I want 20-25 RIGHT recruits each year, the guys who don't choose a school because they have over 100 uniform combinations.  I want a kid who doesn't give a **** if the stadium is sold out, since if he's REALLY good, he will be drafted by the worst team in the NFL and potentially play before non-sellout crowds.  I want kids who both embrace the past and are motivated to create accomplishments of their own.

Yes, USF and UCF and FAU have been impressive in what they have done.  We need to look over our shoulder and see what is coming, and then we need to sprint faster.  But it's not wrong to also have confidence, particularly in the number of past races we have won.

Like I said, I disagree with the original poster's comments towards USF.  I don't think you guys are dumb, I just don't think you guys realize how hard this is to play at the top-top level. 

But, hey, let's play a couple of times per decade and continue these conversations.

We know, we have seen programs like FSU and Miami struggle, so we know how hard it is.  By the way, just because you have players in the NFL, how does that equate to helping a current player make it?  Logic does not fit but, I understand the perspective on getting recruits in and I agree it is an advantage. 

Archived