• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football still young?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

another honest question.  I only been a part of the USF community since 1997. 

I know the University was established in 1956 (which isnt that old) but why did it take to app 1997 to start a football program?

USF is one of the most attended universities in the country.  I would think they wouldve started earlier

The first president was anti-athletics. I heard that he wanted USF to be a Duke-like universtiy that was highly focused on education.

That's part of it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  172

rankings, what others think of us or how we are viewed (young etc) is not something I worry about.

Sometimes it is easier to just go to the games and enjoy yourself than worry about perceptions of other people. Take USF football for what it is and be thankful that it exists at all. Too many of us went through school at USF without having a program to call our own.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I know the University was established in 1956 (which isnt that old) but why did it take to app 1997 to start a football program?

USF is one of the most attended universities in the country.  I would think they wouldve started earlier

Are you testing us with this question?

As mentioned, it was heavily influenced by "politics" of former administration.

Athletics can actually be used as a tool to better academics though. Glad we've went the route we've migrated toward.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

in terms of years usf is young

so what?

if usf would recruit top football players usf could win big east

• Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

Athletics can actually be used as a tool to better academics though. Glad we've went the route we've migrated toward.

It was a deal with the land grant owners for the original property on Fowler I heard.  They did not want the University to start a football program.  Not sure if that is true or not.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

No, Im curious.  Seems like no one has a set in stone answer.  Its all what people have heard.  I would like to know the real answer if there is one at all.  Im glad the route USF went as well.  LIke someone else said, I'd rather be on the new and upcoming trend side then the traditional boring one. 

also agree with Smazza if we get some good recruits we can win the Big East.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Not sure the question that is being asked.  Youth is not an excuse for on the field results.  Not sure anyone has ever said otherwise.

Youth as a program and a university is an issue when it comes to funding for facilities, season ticket support, where we rank in the minds of the casual fans and recruits.  Just a fact of life.  Keep winning games and this will change.

• Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

Not sure the question that is being asked.  Youth is not an excuse for on the field results.  Not sure anyone has ever said otherwise.

Youth as a program and a university is an issue when it comes to funding for facilities, season ticket support, where we rank in the minds of the casual fans and recruits.  Just a fact of life.  Keep winning games and this will change.

youth does not bother me because I will get to grow with it. That being said, in term of donations (boosters), casual fans, national recognition & household name yes we are hella young but as repetitively stated earlier winning changes that image

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  0

No, Im curious.  Seems like no one has a set in stone answer.  Its all what people have heard.  I would like to know the real answer if there is one at all.  Im glad the route USF went as well.  LIke someone else said, I'd rather be on the new and upcoming trend side then the traditional boring one. 

The adversarial relationship between the first president of USF, John S. Allen, and intercollegiate athletics is legit.  His disdain for the impact of athletics on academics is reasonably well documented. Allen refused to join the NCAA and wouldn't let athletic teams compete on weekdays.

Guest nybullsfan

The adversarial relationship between the first president of USF, John S. Allen, and intercollegiate athletics is legit.  His disdain for the impact of athletics on academics is reasonably well documented. Allen refused to join the NCAA and wouldn't let athletic teams compete on weekdays.

Can't speak for the interim prez's, but in my day, John Lott Brown carried on the tradition of hate towards football.

Every year, SG would offer to pay for the uniforms if the school would allow EVEN a club team, but it was always vetoed.

It wasn't until Castor took over that it was finally approved. Leave it to a woman to finally get a football program installed.

Archived